• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Retrieve floating disc

After 6 pages, I should be able to end this thread. One of our locals has already solved this problem in the simplest of ways:

Buy a retriever, and then pick up foam pipe insulators at Home Depot. They're kinda like those "noodles" you see kids using in swimming pools, but they come in smaller diameters with a slit down the side and a hollowed out center for the pipe. Cut it to the length needed and wrap it around the retriever's bars. It will float perfectly, keep the functional shape of the retriever, and you can slip off the foam if you need to search the bottom.

... Hope this helps.

After 6 pages, I should be able to end this thread. One of our locals has already solved this problem in the simplest of ways:

Buy a retriever, and then pick up foam pipe insulators at Home Depot. They're kinda like those "noodles" you see kids using in swimming pools, but they come in smaller diameters with a slit down the side and a hollowed out center for the pipe. Cut it to the length needed and wrap it around the retriever's bars. It will float perfectly, keep the functional shape of the retriever, and you can slip off the foam if you need to search the bottom.

... Hope this helps.

Exactly what I was thinking. I was waiting for mine to come in the mail and try this to see if it would work. I already have a piece of pipe foam that i have set aside to use.

Twice now I've been with someone who threw into a pond - went back after the round to fish it out and it was gone. They were even going to jump in, but didn't want to till after the round.

sounds interesting. Pictures?

heres the pictures of my device for retrieving regular discs and floaters. (if this works... i've never uploaded pics onto this site before).

Attachments

• DSC00653.JPG
    DSC00653.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00654.JPG
    DSC00654.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC00655.JPG
    DSC00655.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 54
I have a 6 foot long whitewater kayak. I've used it to retrieve discs about 3 or 4 times. Definitely doesn't fit in my bag, but you should see the looks I get from other golfers when I paddle out :D

au contraire, mon frere ;)
"On Friday, April 13th, 16 year old David Wiggins, Jr. launched a 134-gram Innova Blizzard Champion Boss high into the desert sky. When it returned to earth, spotters confirmed the disc had traveled 836' (255m) and had broken the world distance record."
Seems some folks make them do what they want.

au contraire, mon frere ;)
"On Friday, April 13th, 16 year old David Wiggins, Jr. launched a 134-gram Innova Blizzard Champion Boss high into the desert sky. When it returned to earth, spotters confirmed the disc had traveled 836' (255m) and had broken the world distance record."
Seems some folks make them do what they want.

:clap:

You are much nicer than I am. Or more tolerant of stupid comments.:thmbup:

I have a 6 foot long whitewater kayak. I've used it to retrieve discs about 3 or 4 times. Definitely doesn't fit in my bag, but you should see the looks I get from other golfers when I paddle out :D

Or I could just get a bigger bag.:thmbup:

PVC primer and glue better be waterproof or every irrigation system on golf courses must be failing!

Don't believe everything you see on the internet! If PVC pipe glued together works under 135PSI . . . I am sure it would work fine with nothing inside of it. If you want more insurance, I agree try filling it with spray foam!

It will be fine if you do it correctly. However, when glued you will not be able to break this down very much.

OK I have another idea . . . get pvc pipe but get two swing joints . . . they will assist in folding up the pipe contraption to a much smaller area. I am not sure how small swing joints are made however, but if you can find them, they will make it much more compact..

Let's just agree to disagree. People with your attitude tick me off....who think they are entitled to something they knowingly leave behind.

I hope you put your bag down to take a piss one day, and someone takes off with the entire thing. First you say it's 'entitlement' to think a disc that is yours, is yours. Then you say 'i don't ink my discs because of blah blah blah blah'.

Seriously. Your attitude just tells everyone you're the type of person everyone hates, the person that's going to be throwing any disc you find with people's names on it and finding any possible reason to justify keeping it.

I hope you put your bag down to take a piss one day, and someone takes off with the entire thing. First you say it's 'entitlement' to think a disc that is yours, is yours. Then you say 'i don't ink my discs because of blah blah blah blah'.

Seriously. Your attitude just tells everyone you're the type of person everyone hates, the person that's going to be throwing any disc you find with people's names on it and finding any possible reason to justify keeping it.

Deadeye, HARSH, but entirely spot on. :clap::thmbup::hfive:

I'm not going to get in an argument about this. However just because someones view about something is different than yours doesn't mean its wrong. I just believe losing discs is part of the game. And we need to be responsible for our own property.

That's all I have to say. If anyone replys to this I wont reply back.

i just bought a golden retriever and sliced a pool noodle and attached to the retriever. i can toss the thing 50 feet into a lake and discs. works perfectly. i perfected the concept in my pool with a wahoo.

OK I have another idea . . . get pvc pipe but get two swing joints . . . they will assist in folding up the pipe contraption to a much smaller area. I am not sure how small swing joints are made however, but if you can find them, they will make it much more compact..

NICE! :thmbup:

I'm not going to get in an argument about this. However just because someones view about something is different than yours doesn't mean its wrong. I just believe losing discs is part of the game. And we need to be responsible for our own property.

That's all I have to say. If anyone replys to this I wont reply back.

But you are wrong. Period.

Now please stop replying to everything else on the site as well.

Latest posts