• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ricky - 2020 vs 2017

Jah Plastifari

Par Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Does anyone think Ricky played better in 2020 than he did in 2017? I don't, and I don't even think it is even close. His rating says he did however, he ended the year at 1050 in '17, and he is now at 1054.

In my opinion this is a small piece of evidence that ratings inflation is real.

Does anyone think Ricky played better in 2020 than he did in 2017? I don't, and I don't even think it is even close. His rating says he did however, he ended the year at 1050 in '17, and he is now at 1054.

Simple and basic logic flaw.

After exhaustive discussion, of the myriad of variables in your hypothesis, only then could any well thought out opinion be formed. Of course, it would still be just an unsupported opinion. You seem unwilling to use the provided math formula. Unfortunately, I honestly don't have much fascination with pro players. I do certainly respect their skill, but I don't give it much more thought. :)

Apples and oranges. Your wins and high finish positions are only loosely connected with your rating. You can have a 1010 rating to start the season and win most of your events, only C-tiers, and end up with a 1005 rating because you were always the highest rated player in those C-tier fields.

If you want to compare how he played during 2017 to during 2020, you need to get into the round ratings from only the events held within each year. His average round rating during 2017 was 1048.51. During 2020 it was 1048.96 Same player, virtually the same result. This tiny difference could be caused by the rounding of reported round ratings to an integer.

I couldn't find any events Ricky played in 2020 which were held on the same layout as he played in 2017. I don't see where we'll find any evidence (other than ratings) about whether he was better, worse, or the same in 2017 vs. 2020.

Still no evidence of ratings inflation.

I was just looking at his rating detail and he has averaged (true average, not weighted) 1061 golf since Ledgestone and 1058 golf since DGLO. That pretty wild.

Inflating....maybe....creeping upward as "the field's" average rating increases? Definitely.

Top MPO players now only playing selective events against other top MPO players, in effect removing a bunch lower rated local pros from the equation who drag ratings down

Removal of FPO field from equation who drag ratings down

Removal of the AM field from the equation who drag ratings down

Lengthening of the courses requiring a minimum distance threshold to score, thus removing any local lower rated pros shooting hot who drag ratings down

Top MPO players now only playing selective events against other top MPO players, in effect removing a bunch lower rated local pros from the equation who drag ratings down
Nope. They help boost ratings for elite players.

Removal of FPO field from equation who drag ratings down

Removal of the AM field from the equation who drag ratings down

Lengthening of the courses requiring a minimum distance threshold to score, thus removing any local lower rated pros shooting hot who drag ratings down
Depends. Long, heavily wooded courses like Iron Hill compress ratings, reducing the potential top end round ratings. Long open courses with lots of OB typically inflate top end ratings, especially if there are a bunch of lower rated players in the field.

Apples and oranges. Your wins and high finish positions are only loosely connected with your rating. You can have a 1010 rating to start the season and win most of your events, only C-tiers, and end up with a 1005 rating because you were always the highest rated player in those C-tier fields.

When I state that he played better in 2017, I'm not basing it on his wins or finishes. I'm basing it on observation of his play, albeit in videos. His putter was on fire that year, and as good as he is with the Pig, he was better with the Harp. I don't see any real difference in his long game.

I'm not trying to use facts or scores to support my assertion, I'm stating that based on watching his play then vs now, he was better then.

When I state that he played better in 2017, I'm not basing it on his wins or finishes. I'm basing it on observation of his play, albeit in videos. His putter was on fire that year, and as good as he is with the Pig, he was better with the Harp. I don't see any real difference in his long game.

I'm not trying to use facts or scores to support my assertion, I'm stating that based on watching his play then vs now, he was better then.
No problem using your observations to make that comparison. The problem was trying to use subjective judgments to question objective measurements such as wins, finish positions and ratings.

Looking at UDisc stats, he putted a bit better in 2020 (87% C1X, 35% C2) than he did in 2017 (85% C1X, 34% C2).

I also think at the top level, there are some new faces which grabbed some wins/top finishes in 2020 that were not quite at that elite level in 2017. I won't name individuals here, but I can think of several that had noticeably better 2020 results than 2017.

So even if Ricky played the same, if there are several others who stepped up their game in the intervening 3 years, that could make it appear that another's level of play had changed.

I think 2021 and forward will see more and more elite players battling it out in tourneys. More close finishes, sudden death, etc. Personal opinion, but I think the days of someone dominating the sport for 3-4 years at a time are over. (Insert 'yeah we've heard that before' examples refuting this thought here). The trick will be consistency--who can put together 3 or 4 hot rounds.

Depends. Long, heavily wooded courses like Iron Hill compress ratings, reducing the potential top end round ratings. Long open courses with lots of OB typically inflate top end ratings, especially if there are a bunch of lower rated players in the field.

I think this needs a bit of explanation. Not saying you're wrong, but "Nope" doesn't just quite cut it.

I would think that a low end pro player playing at his home course would be able to score better than what he would at a random course, thus deflating the round rating for a high rated pro with no course familiarity.