• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner Vs Sidewinder

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Right now I use a Star Roadrunner for my long anny shots, but it always seems to want to fade back at the end of the flight. From what I have read the Sidewinder will have less fade at the end. Anyone had any thoughts ?

I throw sidewinders almost exclusively for shorter drives that need precision, they are very predictable in that they take their high speed turn and have very little fade, definitely the straightest distance driver in my bag. You can never go wrong with a Sidewinder

My personal opinion having played with both is that the road runner flips a lot faster and more aggressively. When new if faded a tad harder than the sidewinder but now they are both beat i cant say there is much of a difference.

My sidewinder i find more workable, useful and of the 2 I carry this one. I prefer that its flip is a little slower whilst still being very significant, the low speed fade is negligible on this disc. So all it works nicely for me on various lines from 270 to 350, and as a roller i can get it consistently out to 360ft.

I would say that there is little to choose between the 2 and throw what ever your comfortable with, I prefer the sidewinder, and my mate swears by his Roadie.

FYI were talking Champ plastic here.

You may want to have a look at the avenger ss, it has been touted as sitting right between the 2 and it comes in discrafts awesome plastic.

My personal opinion having played with both is that the road runner flips a lot faster and more aggressively. When new if faded a tad harder than the sidewinder but now they are both beat i cant say there is much of a difference.

My sidewinder i find more workable, useful and of the 2 I carry this one. I prefer that its flip is a little slower whilst still being very significant, the low speed fade is negligible on this disc. So all it works nicely for me on various lines from 270 to 350, and as a roller i can get it consistently out to 360ft.

I would say that there is little to choose between the 2 and throw what ever your comfortable with, I prefer the sidewinder, and my mate swears by his Roadie.

FYI were talking Champ plastic here.

You may want to have a look at the avenger ss, it has been touted as sitting right between the 2 and it comes in discrafts awesome plastic.

I do have a Avenger SS. I might have to pratice with it

My personal opinion having played with both is that the road runner flips a lot faster and more aggressively.

That is truth. My champ RR will turn into an accidental roller in a heartbeat. As far as power and release angle are concerned, you must be precise to make sure it fades back. My sidewinder, on the other hand, behave more traditionally. It will turn somewhat easily, but I find it to be much straighter, controllable, and predictable, which leads it to often being a longer, more accurate disc. Neither disc has much fade for me, so I wouldn't mark that as a big difference between them. Simply put, the Roadrunner is too understable to be of much use beyond 250 foot, it just gets too flippy. The sidewinder is much more tolerant of the power and can easily be pushed out to 350 or more without rolling over. (Champ plastics)

If you can't tell, I love my Sidewinder.

I have found that a Champion Roadrunner will turn much quicker than a sidewinder. With my Sidewinder I can get it to go atleast 200-250 before it starts to turn over and stay over. Roadrunner I can't get close to that far out. For example if you have ever played Reedy Creek in Charlotte, NC I have parked hole 18 from the stout pad with my sidewinder several times. That just seems to be the perfect hole for the way I throw it.

I very much prefer the sidewinder, my dad and gf both prefer the roadrunner. Throw a sidewinder and see if it's more what you're looking for, they're very similar.

I have found that a Champion Roadrunner will turn much quicker than a sidewinder. With my Sidewinder I can get it to go atleast 200-250 before it starts to turn over and stay over. Roadrunner I can't get close to that far out. For example if you have ever played Reedy Creek in Charlotte, NC I have parked hole 18 from the stout pad with my sidewinder several times. That just seems to be the perfect hole for the way I throw it.

I throw forehand, right hand. And I love that hole. I use a beat up old school dx Valk and park it just inside the trees on the right about 20' feet away. My putting sucks, so I par it more than I bird it. Birds are much easier when the baskets are in the shorts!

But back to the original thread, I like the sidewinder better than the roadrunner.

That is truth. My champ RR will turn into an accidental roller in a heartbeat. As far as power and release angle are concerned, you must be precise to make sure it fades back. My sidewinder, on the other hand, behave more traditionally. It will turn somewhat easily, but I find it to be much straighter, controllable, and predictable, which leads it to often being a longer, more accurate disc. Neither disc has much fade for me, so I wouldn't mark that as a big difference between them. Simply put, the Roadrunner is too understable to be of much use beyond 250 foot, it just gets too flippy. The sidewinder is much more tolerant of the power and can easily be pushed out to 350 or more without rolling over. (Champ plastics)

If you can't tell, I love my Sidewinder.

What he said, ditto for me as well, my champ RR is much flippier than my star Sidewinder.

I would say the Sidewinder is the more predictable disc while the Roadrunner may be a little longer. Or at least thats my experience. But honestly if I want a good anny disc I always reach for my Orion LS I find it to be the best of both worlds.

I would say the Sidewinder is the more predictable disc while the Roadrunner may be a little longer. Or at least thats my experience. But honestly if I want a good anny disc I always reach for my Orion LS I find it to be the best of both worlds.

I have a beat OLS, and I think I am going to go field test it

I have a beat OLS, and I think I am going to go field test it

The OLS is actually a stabilized sidewinder. Dave D puts a very thin spacer in between the top and bottom of molds that increases the stability of the disc. Banshee to the Teebird. Monster - starfire?

So a OLS is the sidewinder mold with a slightly thicker nose. You can see 2 thin lines on the nose as opposed to the normal single split line. making the ols -2.2, +1.5, to the sidewinders -3, +1 imho.

I carry a beat Champ sidewinder, and a newish OLS. The ols holds a hyzer a little better becasue of its added stability, just a tad more hss and lss. All in all this disc is a really sweet tag team partner to the sidewinder. Much like Eathquake and Typhoon, Legion of Doom or the Bushwacker brothers. One of the pair is slightly more stable than the other!

Sidewinder all the way. I had a star RR but never got it's turn under control. I max out around 300-310
I have parked a long 300 anny with my champ Sidewinder.I also use the Avenger SS in FLX plastic I turns a bit quicker for me, But also fades more at the end than my sidewinder.

Sidewinder all the way. I had a star RR but never got it's turn under control. I max out around 300-310
I have parked a long 300 anny with my champ Sidewinder.I also use the Avenger SS in FLX plastic I turns a bit quicker for me, But also fades more at the end than my sidewinder.

I have an Avenger SS in ESP. I will also give that some testing tomorrow

Much like Eathquake and Typhoon, Legion of Doom or the Bushwacker brothers. One of the pair is slightly more stable than the other!

The Rockers would have been an acceptable answer also.

I have a sidewinder that I've grown very fond of and I just lost my roadrunner, like an hour ago, so I would say sidewinder but I only had that roadrunner for a week or so. (I found it with no name) Maybe whoever finds that will end up loving it.

I have never owned a Roadrunner, but I am really starting to like the Sidewinder. It is an extremely straight driver with a gentle toss, and once you figure out how much hyzer to put on it for longer drives, it works wonders. I threw my buddy's Avenger SS the other day and it seemed pretty similar to the Sidewinder, so I'd give that a shot first.

I do have a Avenger SS. I might have to pratice with it

if you have issues with the roadrunner fading back at the end the Avenger SS will own you. the SS is vastly more stable in real life than the sidewinder and the RR even thought the stats may say otherwise. i love the SS and throw the regular Avenger as my go to discs. so if it's a turnover shot your looking for keep using what you already do.

Yea, my RR dosen't get thrown alot, but I am hopeing the more beat in it gets, the less it will try to fade back.

i've got the roadrunner in star plastic and i've really grown to love it. it turns very consistently for me which makes it easy to work with. if there is no wind it is my longest driver.

i have not tried the sidewinder so i have no real comments other than my brother has one and i don't see him throw it to often.