• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocking the Hips

I think I remember reading SW say something along the lines of 'look at the knee stride/width, not necessarily the feet'. But don't quote me on that. Perhaps something to ponder.

I believe that there's maybe one monster boost in power and that's when you keep your hand on the outside of the disc, vastly increasing your leverage on the disc. Dragging the disc, you'll basically be throwing the disc as fast as your hand travels. Redirection through levering the disc forward makes the disc come out faster than your hand.

Even with non-standard form, you can probably get to 55mph and a bit faster if you're a long limbed individual.

If you want to go from 55 to 65, you have to start squeezing out improvements to the motion. There's not really just one improvement that will add 10mph in a vaccuum. You have to take the hip movement which allows for a better swing plane, better momentum transfer, better balance - and maintain the hand on the outside of the disc. You have to set your grip to be able to hold the disc through the redirect so that it's not left your hand before you're done accelerating it. You have to allow the arms to be as pliable/noodle-like as possible without collapsing.

When you can link all the additional movements you can add about 10mph... and if you screw up ONE of those things, you'll probably gain 0 mph. This comes from countless throws with a radar gun and having 65mph remain just beyond my reach (64mph is still my top end). 75mph feels like 99.9% un-attainable for me - and is truly the realm of form perfection and/or really long levers.

Last edited:
Love the idea of throwing the one-leg drill with the just back leg (no weight on front leg) as a sort of a hershyzer sans-wall drill.

Im playing with what I think you mean and I see value here but can't tell if its only retrospectively useful lol.

This feels good, and could be like an evolution of the one leg drill but to reinforce a different idea. Keeping your weight back until you MUST shift does help imo, but I don't know if it would derail people more than help.

Im playing with what I think you mean and I see value here but can't tell if its only retrospectively useful lol.

This feels good, and could be like an evolution of the one leg drill but to reinforce a different idea. Keeping your weight back until you MUST shift does help imo, but I don't know if it would derail people more than help.

This is probably just the...battering ram sw22 drill lol.

Funny how the man has distilled this in ways that I try to come up with myself just to realize he did it already. It is just so hard to backtrack mentally on a skill like this but keep things intact and relevant.

I think it works to feel what it is to fall forward… but actually could be getting you used to having your weight too far back over your rear knee. The wall in hershyzer keeps you from tipping.

It could work if you're self disciplined about balance, but then you probably don't need the drill lol.

Hershyzer on the wall is better :)

I like the thought of swinging you belly button. It forces you to think about your abs/core and I think you have to have those actively engaged in order to hold and maintain the "spring coil" potential energy created by hip/shoulder separation or oblique slings, so you don't open your shoulders too early or too far.

In case anyone missed it, great explanation of rocking the hips here

Sw22 subs did not miss this excellent content! On the very rare occasion i standstill, I like more of a pitching motion, hiking my lead leg (but then again, I do many things wrong).

A few posts back there was conversation about the natural walking motion... and I did this. Disc in hand, start walking forward. The disc stays with the off-foot, which is very natural and also important. While walking, turn torso over the off hip so both hands swing on the off-side, but maintain the swinging pattern. Finally, put the off-arm inside of the throwing arm while still walking. It helps to have "Billie Jean" or "Another One Bites the Dust" running through your head.

Last edited:

Ohno i probably got the hip motion wrong.. this video makes rocking hip motion confusing.
I really have been practising leading with my butt pushing/rocking my hip forward from the rear foot and turning back at the same time leaving the disc behind when striding forward. Like in the Hershyzer walldrill.

Feldberg seems to push the hips forward after the stride already full planted.
Should i do both these things or did i totally missunderstood that video? :\

Latest posts