• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Salient Disc Golf

Is this a accurate time frame for contender owners also?
Im in no big got to have it now rush but new shiney plastic does get the old ticker going:D

After chatting with Chris, the plan is for those that pre ordered the contender 2, for them to have their complimentary Prometheus as the other vendor and individual orders are being shipped out next week. So everyone will have their Prometheus next week!

Would be curious for inbounds to chime in here. Did they throw it or is this from manufacturer input?

I'm pretty sure to maintain their credit that inbounds would have the disc in hand and throw it for themselves before they created the chart for it.

I'm pretty sure to maintain their credit that inbounds would have the disc in hand and throw it for themselves before they created the chart for it.

Not always so, unfortunately. I know their numbers on the Underworld, Stag, and Tursas are based on second hand information (flight numbers mostly, it seems), which is unfortunate. The Stag is particularly inaccurate. I know because I had asked in the Inbounds thread about the numbers since they seemed a bit fishy and their response was, "We don't plan on testing them, we can't test every disc out there." Which is understandable to a point, but disappointing, because overall it's a quality reference tool.

Anyway, the Prometheus' numbers seem a bit more nuanced and therefore likely to have stemmed from testing. That's just an inference, though.

The bulk of our data is "second hand". Our flight charts are aggregations of the most reliable data sources out there. In reality, only a small percentage of the flight values come from our testing team. Even when manufacturers provide us with proto/test discs, we still bear the brunt of shipping the discs to everyone on the inbounds Testing Team, therefore, it is impossible for us to have our team of testers throw every disc as it would quickly bankrupt us.

For the Prometheus flight data, we obtained the initial values from a very reliable source at Salient Discs. As we noted in another thread, as additional data sources become available, we'll update accordingly.

From our inFlight Guide Overview:

The values for the Relative Stability Scale come from a total of 19 different flight charts and/or rating systems with as many as six different sources being applied to any one disc. Using multiple data sources has a smoothing effect on a disc flight path and eliminates outlier values caused by unnecessary bias, flight testing extremes, and minor rating errors. The values for each of the various data sources are then normalized, aggregated, and averaged to provide a comprehensive, relative picture of a disc's expected flight path.

Hey dg, do the 2nd run contender owners such as myself have any way to specify a weight preference to Chris? I'd prefer a heavier one since I have a reasonably good arm and don't need a disc that turns into a roller in a head wind. I don't want to be too picky since it's a freebie after all, but since this will likely serve as my sole test disc for the Prometheus I'd rather test one that's in a good weight range for me...

Hey dg, do the 2nd run contender owners such as myself have any way to specify a weight preference to Chris? I'd prefer a heavier one since I have a reasonably good arm and don't need a disc that turns into a roller in a head wind. I don't want to be too picky since it's a freebie after all, but since this will likely serve as my sole test disc for the Prometheus I'd rather test one that's in a good weight range for me...

With as many orders as he has to fill, he won't be taking preferences for the 2nd run contender pre orders

Disappointed on the distance side. I was thinking Salient was going to push the current distance boundaries by creating some kind of super driver. It made me all tingly inside. But it's not that long.

However, it does appear to be CRAZY straight... only 15% LSF!!! Nothing else is is even close to that in the high-speed driver category.

So which is it? Are they making super straight flying discs or super long flying discs with their alien technology?

Disappointed on the distance side. I was thinking Salient was going to push the current distance boundaries by creating some kind of super driver. It made me all tingly inside. But it's not that long.

However, it does appear to be CRAZY straight... only 15% LSF!!! Nothing else is is even close to that in the high-speed driver category.

So which is it? Are they making super straight flying discs or super long flying discs with their alien technology?

Keep in mind, this isn't inbounds results, this was results from testing from the Salient Team which doesn't consist of top pros and big arms. I wouldn't be surprised if top pros push this disc past 500...but that remains to be seen. And the goal of this disc wasn't max distance, it was distance with control. Hence the name distance control driver.

Last edited:
Inbounds will put up a manufactures suggested flight path, I haven't put ours up yet because my expertise is not in drawing up a flight path (however they said they would take my suggested flight path) and our discs haven't made it to them yet, I thought I would chime in since I have had a manufacture relationship with inbounds.

Did you try looking at the other discs that they have at this distance? Discs like the Hurricane, Teedevil, Destroyer, etc. All are discs that I can easily put 500ft. They tend to rate the discs in line with course distance, not open field distance. I can throw discs out to 550ft, but I NEVER need to throw past 450ft on a well designed course

Did you try looking at the other discs that they have at this distance? Discs like the Hurricane, Teedevil, Destroyer, etc. All are discs that I can easily put 500ft. They tend to rate the discs in line with course distance, not open field distance. I can throw discs out to 550ft, but I NEVER need to throw past 450ft on a well designed course

Of course I did... I sorted ALL manufacturers by distance. I was just surprised because my poor memory tells me this disc was supposed to be stupid crazy long. I'll go back to the beginning of the thread to be sure, but I know Chris took a lot of jabs for saying this disc was so different than other and I distinctly remember distance was the big selling point. Maybe I'm wrong.

Still... none of the discs you mention nor any others in this class have such a small LSF... which is AWESOME! This appears to be the straightest damned driver around and that's exactly what I need for longer wooded tunnel shots.

So don't get me wrong, I love the straightness... just thought it was supposed to be the distance king. Let me research again....

Yeah don't forget that the distance record set before the current record (over 800 feet) was set with a Valkyrie. Check the distance inbounds has for that disc on their flight chart. Also, the current record was set with something like a 130g blizzard boss. In most conditions other than a screaming tailwind, that disc would dive to the right if thrown with even 400 feet of power...

What I'm trying to say is, your mileage as far as distance is going to vary by your arm speed, spin, release, and the conditions you're throwing in. And don't even get me started on inconsistency and how differently 2 discs of the supposed same mold can fly. The chart really is not a very accurate predictor, in my experience, of the real world distances you can obtain with a particular model of a particular disc. It's a nice thing to take as a starting point when making purchase decisions for sure, but no guarantee.

The straightness of the flight path in the chart actually worries me. I have thrown a number of discs that were supposed to have very straight flight paths, such as the Mako and Mako3 for example, and none of them have turned out to be very good discs, at least not for me. Hopefully the same will not be true of the Prometheus. I guess we'll see in the next week or so. :)

Of course I did... I sorted ALL manufacturers by distance. I was just surprised because my poor memory tells me this disc was supposed to be stupid crazy long. I'll go back to the beginning of the thread to be sure, but I know Chris took a lot of jabs for saying this disc was so different than other and I distinctly remember distance was the big selling point. Maybe I'm wrong.

Still... none of the discs you mention nor any others in this class have such a small LSF... which is AWESOME! This appears to be the straightest damned driver around and that's exactly what I need for longer wooded tunnel shots.

So don't get me wrong, I love the straightness... just thought it was supposed to be the distance king. Let me research again....

In certain hands...it will probably crush...I'll let you know when I touch one...

Latest posts