• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Customer Service Complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
again grip could care less. they are after different customers. the grip is marketed as a pro bag. for the touring pro. the catalyst is a inexpensive backpack. two different groups..

That's not true. Yes, Grip is marketed as a "Pro" bag, but they are after the market of casual golfers. It's the same way that Air Jordans are marketed as a pro basketball shoe. They're not making their money on sales to NBA players...

Yes...just like I think the mahal is a $100 better bag.

I think the Mahal is $100 better bag. I have a Grip. its not $100 better. $50 maybe.

this is why Mystery Ranch isnt dropping their prices. they are already priced correctly. Grip is highly overpriced. by about $75 bucks. so put it at $176. where it should be, and they will sell more than any other bag.

If mommy and daddy are paying, who cares about the price drop. if they sold 100 bags based solely on the sale. they cut revenue by almost 8K.

this says two things to me.

the bags were severely overpriced, and the drop doesnt affect them much bc they are still raking in the profits.

they wanted to sell bags bad. and at the 222 price it wasnt happening, and with a bag under 160 coming out. that is a BACKPACK. they needed to go lower. so they did.

Price drops get people talking (internet trolls included). Sure there are parents who would've paid full pop for their kid's grip but how many extra bags did they sell because people saw or heard about the drop. That's the whole purpose behind a retailer running a promotion or sale...to build perceived hype and increase business. I think grip is using the Christmas season and not salient to fuel their hype.

Grip has its target customer in mind, and obviously they're successful with that segment given their growth. I don't think the catalyst was designed with that segment in mind. Although they're both disc golf backpacks they're going after two distinct crowds.

If grip was really that concerned with salient they'd continue to make their original bag and price it even or below the catalyst and bury them within months.

ok..i havent made it all the way through this yet but i just wanted to shine a new light on why grip may have lowered price..i could be wrong but maybe not.

if i had to guess grips sales have put them in a new tax bracket and since it is coming up on the end of the year i would demise that they probably are trying to push some sales..when it comes to doing the taxes they have to pay taxes on what the unsold bags are worth not on their sales..so why would you want to pay taxes on money that you havent made?so they sell the bags bags and have more accurate earnings for the tax man..lots of companies do this around this time of year just to liquidate taxable items

Price drops get people talking (internet trolls included). Sure there are parents who would've paid full pop for their kid's grip but how many extra bags did they sell because people saw or heard about the drop. That's the whole purpose behind a retailer running a promotion or sale...to build perceived hype and increase business. I think grip is using the Christmas season and not salient to fuel their hype.

Grip has its target customer in mind, and obviously they're successful with that segment given their growth. I don't think the catalyst was designed with that segment in mind. Although they're both disc golf backpacks they're going after two distinct crowds.

If grip was really that concerned with salient they'd continue to make their original bag and price it even or below the catalyst and bury them within months.

Stop. Too much logic. Does not compute.

ok..i havent made it all the way through this yet but i just wanted to shine a new light on why grip may have lowered price..i could be wrong but maybe not.

if i had to guess grips sales have put them in a new tax bracket and since it is coming up on the end of the year i would demise that they probably are trying to push some sales..when it comes to doing the taxes they have to pay taxes on what the unsold bags are worth not on their sales..so why would you want to pay taxes on money that you havent made?so they sell the bags bags and have more accurate earnings for the tax man..lots of companies do this around this time of year just to liquidate taxable items

Now this...makes a lot of sense to me

Or you could be freeing up money to put towards a new purchase order...

Yes a more detailed version of what I was saying but to some people (you know who you are) common sense is about as foreign to them as bathing and the touch of a woman

DD - 175 <-- Reports of rips and tears, arguably overpriced
Spinal Tap - 250 <-- never in stock
Mahal - 260 <-- for the hardcore golfer, only made what, once a year?
Flak - 190 <-- preorder issues, but seem to be doing well now
Ergo 2 - 190 <-- have to preorder and wait. not readily available
Grip - 252 <-- variety of colors, readily available, top name in market
Catalyst - 154 <-- no name recognition yet

Added a couple things up here just to compare the bags. I am no Grip fanboy, even if I am sounding like one. I had an L-Series and it was just too much bag for me. And personally, I think the A-Series costs too much. But, compared with how the rest of the market is right now, Grip is stable and has bags at the ready. I would bet this is also a big reason why people buy more of them. I was on the preorder list for the Flak 2, then it was delayed, so I went Grip. If you have it in stock, people will buy it.

They aren't even the same class of products!!! :doh:

They're both medium sized backpack bags. Almost identical sizes. The Catalyst has a little bit more storage (mainly the side pockets), but otherwise, they're freakishly similar in terms of the "class" of product.

It's not like the Grip is made of gold threads, high quality silk, and ultra high-end carbon fiber or something.

However its interesting that the price was at 220...but then all of a sudden plummeted down to 176. The way i see it, If the catalyst never existed, the price probably would have dropped to 200 max.

That's just making stuff up. C'mon. It's the holiday season, and they want to make people buy things impulsively. $200 still has a 2 in front, $176 isn't even the "tricky" $195-$199 that so many people favor as a price point.

Others like the full tourney bag, 20 plus and that could also be the catalyst but closer to the grip.

See above - they fit almost the same number of discs. The Catalyst could actually carry more given those side pouches. Of course, maybe the A series is a bit bigger than my Burnt Orange L Series.

u think the Grip is a $100 better bag?

It's probably easily $20 better.

how in the world does a company not pay tax on their sales revenue? yet have to pay it on stock which they use to generate that income?

Grip did not have a liquidation on these bags... that's a process companies go through to end the business or remove items completely from operations. Obsolete, old or broken inventory items are all subject to a company's liquidation process. At other times, excess inventory may need liquidation to prepare the company for new items to offer customers. When liquidating inventory, a company does not usually get full price for the items or break even, sometimes selling these items at below cost. --

that is where the tax benefits are.

u think the Grip is a $100 better bag?
Unlike you I cannot pass judgement on a bag I have never seen or felt. Sight unseen I would say yes it is. I am in the backpack industry and I know quality when I see and feel a bag.

Again to me 150 is a lot to spend. 250 is also a lot. But for the time that the bag will last, say a per year price. To me at that point 100 difference will fade away. 33 bucks more a year for the grip. Just sayin'. Over say a three year ownership.

Last edited:
Yes a more detailed version of what I was saying but to some people (you know who you are) common sense is about as foreign to them as bathing and the touch of a woman

ah yes. the wonderful personal attacks of someone who does not know me.

I am well bathed and well taken care of.

u said absolutely nothing that resembled common sense in any of your 80 million posts.

Govna makes sense. but to me it still says the bag is WAYYYYYY over priced. and going back to 252 will be hard to do.

how in the world does a company not pay tax on their sales revenue? yet have to pay it on stock which they use to generate that income?

Grip did not have a liquidation on these bags... that's a process companies go through to end the business or remove items completely from operations. Obsolete, old or broken inventory items are all subject to a company's liquidation process. At other times, excess inventory may need liquidation to prepare the company for new items to offer customers. When liquidating inventory, a company does not usually get full price for the items or break even, sometimes selling these items at below cost. --

that is where the tax benefits are.

you have to pay taxes on your overhead and figure out the potential earnings for that overhead..go into walmart late at night around tax time and you will see a third party company counting all of their merchandise..this is to calculate overhead for tax purposes...aka "auditing" is the retail term for this practice

u said absolutely nothing that resembled common sense in any of your 80 million posts.

Govna makes sense. but to me it still says the bag is WAYYYYYY over priced. and going back to 252 will be hard to do.

I didn't mention you by name (unlike when you called me an ahole), but props on the snappy come back, all I heard was blah blah blah blah I know what you are but what am I.

Also, this wasn't on their entire product line just one specific color...I am sure they will still be able to sell quite a few bags and remain the industry leader at $250.00 Also I'm not even a Grip owner, just know TONS of people with them out on the courses everywhere I play

And it's just about 300 posts since I have joined...but you've never let facts get in the way of your ramblings have you?

I didn't mention you by name (unlike when you called me an ahole), but props on the snappy come back, all I heard was blah blah blah blah I know what you are but what am I.

Also, this wasn't on their entire product line just one specific color...I am sure they will still be able to sell quite a few bags and remain the industry leader at $250.00 Also I'm not even a Grip owner, just know TONS of people with them out on the courses everywhere I play

sure. they could keep select bags at 252. but to put the black and gray etc back at that price is laughable. especially when its been this low for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts