• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Customer Service Complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don't think grip is worried about salient. People can make the case that the grip price drop was reactive to the catalyst, but I think the more obvious reason is the time of year. It's Christmas time people, and that means that a ton of gifts get bought. Plenty of people fork out the money for their bags throughout the year, but there also plenty that simply cannot afford to buy one on their own. If I'm a broke college kid who can't swing a grip on my own I'm gonna hit my parents up for one as a Christmas gift. They're simply taking advantage of the extra holiday business at a time when most disc golfers aren't playing a whole lot. Pretty much every other retailer is taking advantage of the holiday season for what it truly is...a sales opportunity...but when grip does it they're afraid of a relatively unknown start up?

Personally I don't think grip is worried about salient. People can make the case that the grip price drop was reactive to the catalyst, but I think the more obvious reason is the time of year. It's Christmas time people, and that means that a ton of gifts get bought. Plenty of people fork out the money for their bags throughout the year, but there also plenty that simply cannot afford to buy one on their own. If I'm a broke college kid who can't swing a grip on my own I'm gonna hit my parents up for one as a Christmas gift. They're simply taking advantage of the extra holiday business at a time when most disc golfers aren't playing a whole lot. Pretty much every other retailer is taking advantage of the holiday season for what it truly is...a sales opportunity...but when grip does it they're afraid of a relatively unknown start up?

Yep it's called common sense :hfive:

:clap::thmbup: well put thanks.

oh boy. yes i do. i was saying that anyone who thinks the drop had ZERO to do with Salient is crazy.

and Mr. Glass,

How can you guarantee it had nothing to do with it?

Idk, I think Im more on Mr. Glass's side here. I think its just a coincidence and that grip could care less about salient and what they are doing. Maybe if salient somehow pulls a prodigy and headhunts some of the top players then grip might notice but I doubt they care.

cause i am smart and know everything about everything:p

salient is not on grips radar. It would like apple being worried about acer putting out a new tablet. Not in the same class so they don't worry. Comparing the grip to the catalyst is only fair because they are both backpacks. Other than that they are completely different. If grip wanted the demographic that is attracted to the catalyst they would make a new bag not dilute the value of current offerings. grip ordered ton of bags in all colors, they had no clue that the non standard colors would sell so well in comparison to the black and grey bags. Instead of sitting on the inventory for some time, they threw golfers a bone and had a sale. it happens sometimes. well more than sometimes.

if they are not on there radar, they should be. if Grip raises the price back up, the Catalyst (as far as I have seen so far) looks to be a much better deal.

Exactly. I think it just speaks to Salient's long-established pattern of hubris for them to think that they were responsible for the Grip price drop. It's called holiday sales.

I know, man. Those invisible bottom straps on kevreef's bag were revolutionary.

One bag. you know how many of Grips first run bags failed????? Hundreds and Hundreds.

if they are not on there radar, they should be. if Grip raises the price back up, the Catalyst (as far as I have seen so far) looks to be a much better deal.

One bag. you know how many of Grips first run bags failed????? Hundreds and Hundreds.

They aren't even the same class of products!!! :doh:

It's like saying Lamborghini is worried about Hyundai, because they are both vehicles.

Well grip still has their tester team that was suppose to be trying out some new product. They havent done squat in the past few months with anybody that applied, bu maybe the product is a smaller grip (which they have been planning for a while)

If mommy and daddy are paying, who cares about the price drop. if they sold 100 bags based solely on the sale. they cut revenue by almost 8K.

this says two things to me.

the bags were severely overpriced, and the drop doesnt affect them much bc they are still raking in the profits.

they wanted to sell bags bad. and at the 222 price it wasnt happening, and with a bag under 160 coming out. that is a BACKPACK. they needed to go lower. so they did.

This will be the only time i comment on this subject. I think the catalyst had a small effect on Grip but i don't believe it was ground breaking. However its interesting that the price was at 220...but then all of a sudden plummeted down to 176. The way i see it, If the catalyst never existed, the price probably would have dropped to 200 max. Why? because that was the original Grip price and a few of us, myself included commented that the very small improvements on the A series didn't warrant a price almost equal to a mahal. 176 though? its hard not to think that grip wasn't keeping the catalyst in the back of their mind...its just too coincidental to me. but again, this is the only time i will comment on this. Both are great bags and lots of golfers like to carry the 16-19 figure with out discs flopping around and that is the catalyst. others like the full tourney bag, 20 plus and that could also be the catalyst but closer to the grip.

They aren't even the same class of products!!! :doh:

It's like saying Lamborghini is worried about Hyundai, because they are both vehicles.

That's more like saying Jansport isn't worried about Salient taking some of the backpack market.

A DG backpack bag is a very niche market with low profit margins.

Lamborghini's bottom line can weather some competition, Grip's cannot.

Look, I get it. Salient wants to be Grip. Can't knock 'em for it. But the endless comparisons are a bit much. And constantly pointing to Grip's initial failures doesn't excuse Salient's roll out. In fact, it makes them look like they couldn't learn a lesson from the market leader.

Plus, Grip has a big head start and, like it or not, shoppers will pay more for a name brand just to have a name brand. Grip = name brand. Therefore, I don't see that many people coming around to Salient when the Grip price goes up.

Plus, by that time Grip will probably have another competing bag in the lower price range (they'd be stupid not to). Grip name in the same price range = money in the bank.

Look, I get it. Salient wants to be Grip. Can't knock 'em for it. But the endless comparisons are a bit much. And constantly pointing to Grip's initial failures doesn't excuse Salient's roll out. In fact, it makes them look like they couldn't learn a lesson from the market leader.

Plus, Grip has a big head start and, like it or not, shoppers will pay more for a name brand just to have a name brand. Grip = name brand. Therefore, I don't see that many people coming around to Salient when the Grip price goes up.

Plus, by that time Grip will probably have another competing bag in the lower price range (they'd be stupid not to). Grip name in the same price range = money in the bank.

I agree with all of that. all im saying is if you need a backpack bag. and your options are

252 for a Grip
154 for a Catalyst

if money is of any concern, you cant go wrong with the Catalyst. and honestly. at that price it is DUMB to buy a Grip. when a mahal is 10 bucks more.

again grip could care less. they are after different customers. the grip is marketed as a pro bag. for the touring pro. the catalyst is a inexpensive backpack. two different groups.

i am not one to waste my hard earned money, but i also am willing to spend to get quality. I am not saying the catalyst is not quality, just not in the same class as grip.

I agree with all of that. all im saying is if you need a backpack bag. and your options are

252 for a Grip
154 for a Catalyst

if money is of any concern, you cant go wrong with the Catalyst. and honestly. at that price it is DUMB to buy a Grip. when a mahal is 10 bucks more.

There are other backpack bags out there, it's all about what you want in a product. And I still don't get comparing the two, they are two different products. One is a budget minded smaller product and one is a top of the line larger product. And as a golf mahal owner I can totally see why someone would still get a grip at nearly the same price...the styles are different and they have different features.

again grip could care less. they are after different customers. the grip is marketed as a pro bag. for the touring pro. the catalyst is a inexpensive backpack. two different groups.

i am not one to waste my hard earned money, but i also am willing to spend to get quality. I am not saying the catalyst is not quality, just not in the same class as grip.

u think the Grip is a $100 better bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.