• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Shimmer and Luster Plastics

I got a shimmer star Teebird and a Destroyer. This plastic is amazingly, stupidly, beefy. The Teebird at max weight is every bit as stable as my AJ and Brinster birds and maybe even more than the second run Brinster bird that I have. What really surprised me is that the plastic, which looks like G*, actually maintains it's tack when moist. Unlike G* which feels like it's coated in snot when wet. Going to be very interesting to see how this plastic beats in. I am thinking that this is going to season into one very very nice stable bird.

The Shimmer Star Destroyer at Max weight is by far and away the most OS fast driver I have ever thrown. It makes my Enforcer look like glidey disc. I was flicking the Destroyer on a HARD anny line and it was flattening out and crashing almost immediately. I'm not sure if I will ever need a disc that stable but it sure is fun to make your friends laugh when you FH throw it on a 45 degree angle to the left and watch it come crashing back half way into it's flight. I can only imagine the FH rollers I am going to get with this badboy though. Ohhhh boy!:eek:

I got a shimmer star Teebird and a Destroyer. This plastic is amazingly, stupidly, beefy. The Teebird at max weight is every bit as stable as my AJ and Brinster birds and maybe even more than the second run Brinster bird that I have. What really surprised me is that the plastic, which looks like G*, actually maintains it's tack when moist. Unlike G* which feels like it's coated in snot when wet. Going to be very interesting to see how this plastic beats in. I am thinking that this is going to season into one very very nice stable bird.

The Shimmer Star Destroyer at Max weight is by far and away the most OS fast driver I have ever thrown. It makes my Enforcer look like glidey disc. I was flicking the Destroyer on a HARD anny line and it was flattening out and crashing almost immediately. I'm not sure if I will ever need a disc that stable but it sure is fun to make your friends laugh when you FH throw it on a 45 degree angle to the left and watch it come crashing back half way into it's flight. I can only imagine the FH rollers I am going to get with this badboy though. Ohhhh boy!:eek:

Darn it, I don't need to buy any more discs right now, but you're really making me want a Shimmer Teebird. Something like my 2013 Brinster that isn't ridiculously expensive to replace sounds great. I've heard the shimmer is a little softer; how well does it skip? If you throw that Teebird on a low line do you get a pretty good skip out of it or does it tend to hit and stick?

I'm taking it out tonight to play, I'll do just that and report back later. My guess is that it will skip quite well because the flight plate is a little softer but the rim is still nice and firm like the regular star. It's not Brinster stiff but somehow the plastic blend sure does make them stable and seemingly torque resistant.

Definitely stiff enough to get some nice skips with the shimmer star Teebird. Not a hit and stick type of disc at all the way G* can be. After some use, my max weight Shimmer Star Teeb has become a little bit more workable but I would still put the overall stability very close to my second run Brinster Bird. These things seem pretty legit to me.

Anyone else throwing the shimmer stuff

Are people finding it more OS? I only tried one teebird but it didn't seem that different.

Anyone else throwing the shimmer stuff

Are people finding it more OS? I only tried one teebird but it didn't seem that different.

I gave up on these shimmer, luster, colorshift whatever plastics awhile back. My colorshift stuff was always momentarily invisible depending on how the light was hitting it, which usually seemed to happen right when I was trying to find it. Like a stealth disc or something. Same with most Ti colors...diabolical.

What's wrong with a nice bright red, rangerman?

OK, another color. I'm telling you these shimmer type plastics disappear before your eyes unless you're standing right over them. It's like where the f**k is it!...and what did I just trip on?

I have a cfr shimmer teebird. it is hard to find and seems quite under stable for the mold. they went with earth tones like early TI plastic which I don't really care for. nice rigid blend of plastic though, it feels good

I was mostly joking in my earlier posts. But they do tend to absorb light at certain angles and become less visible as a result.

I only throw in the fairway dog. Color doesn't matter.

I hate walking up to a disc and not being able to see it until you're almost right on top of it. I have a very pale yellow ESP Flash in the bag that is almost invisible, against dirt and dried grass. A white Flash I also bag is easier to see than the yellow one.

Go find a shimmery cream colored driver and report back. ;)

my shimmer/luster rocs were a disappoint looks wise. The plastic is bit slick not as tacky as I would like.

trilogy gold line even on normal runs looks nearly as good. discraft has some nice ti looking stuff.

my gstar stuff has been the most beautiful to date. but it gstar and only comes out during the cold unfortunately.

bbbbbb

Attachments

• firebluster 001.jpg
    firebluster 001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 109
  • firebluster 002.jpg
    firebluster 002.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 94

I have a Gstar Firebird identical to those and love it (not just how it looks). Not my prettiest disc, but in the top three. I actually throw it year round and it is basically my very overstable Teebird now. I really need to get another Gstar. I bought a Star hoping it would season into the slot where a fresh Gstar would be, but it is just not losing any stability yet (to be fair it is very flat for Star and very stiff, so it may take a while). So another Gstar looks to be in my near future.

Can anyone describe how their flat top Luster Firebirds fly? I really don't need any more Firebirds, but what the heck, I love em.

Well my luster terns are not very lustery..ha.ha.. No in all seriousness seems the good ones probably went quick and its just the so so's that are the ones available.

I like the stamp. The plastic is rock hard which I actually like. And these with the less dome appear they will be a stable version of the tern.

So my hope of these being a collector went down the drain but I got some cool stable tern backups!

Latest posts