• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Shimmer and Luster Plastics

My experience has been that luster is more overstable, but not by a lot. My experience is limited to teebird and firebird, but both seems at least a tick or two more overstable.

Any recent purchases of molds in Luster. Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Flat Top Luster Firebird and maybe a Roc3 or Thunderbird.

How does Luster seem to affect Roc3 stability?

In short, for anyone interested, for Discmania discs, Luster molds are:

P2 - overstablish
MD3 - overstablish
FD- straight/understable
FD3 - less overstable than regular C-line
PD - overstable, but not a OS hog
PD2 - stupid overstable
DDx - a hair more stable than in C-line

Anybody throw the Luster Colossus yet? Want to describe how they fly?

I'm throwing a Star and regular Champion, but would love something a little bit more stable for when a little wind picks up. I already have a couple beefy destroyers for when the wind really picks up, but I want something that can get more distance.

I have thrown the colossus in shimmer star. It was my most overstable one and I could hyzer flip it into 30 mph winds and still get 400 ft... but I overestimated its stability last week and put it in the drink... very bummed!

2 of my 2019 Drew Gibson Luster Leopard3s are verrry fingerprinty. Like some old CE discs. I love the plastic, but not if it's already breaking down. Anyone else experience this? My 2018s are fine.

2 of my 2019 Drew Gibson Luster Leopard3s are verrry fingerprinty. Like some old CE discs. I love the plastic, but not if it's already breaking down. Anyone else experience this? My 2018s are fine.

Out of curiosity, even it the new Luster plastic did breakdown fast enough to be the cause of the fingerprintiness, would it matter enough to actually impact the durability or throwability of the disc? I think to myself, let's see, a slightly less durable champion plastic is still insanely durable.

Out of curiosity, even it the new Luster plastic did breakdown fast enough to be the cause of the fingerprintiness, would it matter enough to actually impact the durability or throwability of the disc? I think to myself, let's see, a slightly less durable champion plastic is still insanely durable.

Hypothetical shattering of a disc when hitting a tree hard, especially in the cold. I've watched a fair amount of boutique [old] plastic break, though not all of it was Champion style/CE.

Picked up a Luster Teebird and Leopard3 with my payout from a local tourney last weekend. I really dig the plastic, it's pearly with some give like the mid-2000's Monsters, Beasts, and Orcs. It's definitely not gummy and both are on the beefy end of the spectrum for their molds. The tourney stamped Leo3 is identical to a 2018 Drew Gibson tour series one I have. I should have grabbed a Firebird as well, I imagine it would be pretty beefy.