• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Short stride

This week I will be doing nothin but Beto Drills and I may start drinking (soda, but of course) so I can crush some cans.

These never worked for me (right pec drills). They might for you...but I need to flow things together and feel a smooth movement.

Just saying, if something isn't working after a bunch of tries, try a different approach, and don't feel like the right pec is the necessary way to learn it. Just flow smoothly and slowly into your positions and it'll get you there too.

I always felt like I was fighting with the right pec drill to try to "make" the disc fly ok. But if you do a motion that flows into that position and the disc flies well, you'll know you're on a better track.

Since I started reading this thread I have been increasingly aware that my plant step in much too long and I was not bracing. Ignorance can be bliss. It has been very frustrating trying to fix this. If my weight feels right and balanced, I am not. Then I try to stay back ...mixed results. This week I will be doing nothin but Beto Drills and I may start drinking (soda, but of course) so I can crush some cans.
You should feel perfectly balanced upright(key is upright stacked posture) in the finish on the plant leg. In a flat footed wide horse-stance you might feel extremely balanced, nothing can move you, right? Problem is you can't make a quick athletic move and move or maintain your balance easily from one foot to the other!

I had a nice break through today. I had been practicing on the weight shift, crushing cans, elbow extension, slowing down, etc., all the stuff that is talked about here, with nice progress and then the stop. So I went back to focusing on the grip. A little better improvement but I was forcing the squeeze which unconsciously lead me to strong arm (I could feel it the next morning when I woke up). So I sitting at my desk and I hear a little voice..."pull around the nose." I had completely forgot the basics. A quick search and all the discussions popped up about Bradley Walker, HUB, on and on. Tried it after work on the course and both distance and accuracy improved. So now I'm like the new barbeque grill out of the box. All the parts are put together, sort of, but now I just need to tighten the bolts.

I had a nice break through today. I had been practicing on the weight shift, crushing cans, elbow extension, slowing down, etc., all the stuff that is talked about here, with nice progress and then the stop. So I went back to focusing on the grip. A little better improvement but I was forcing the squeeze which unconsciously lead me to strong arm (I could feel it the next morning when I woke up). So I sitting at my desk and I hear a little voice..."pull around the nose." I had completely forgot the basics. A quick search and all the discussions popped up about Bradley Walker, HUB, on and on. Tried it after work on the course and both distance and accuracy improved. So now I'm like the new barbeque grill out of the box. All the parts are put together, sort of, but now I just need to tighten the bolts.

Do you see any difference between "pull around the nose" and "hammering of the nail" ?

For me, definitely yes. I had been trying "hammering the nail", both straight and to the right:) , and working on the grip and pivot pinch point waiting for the "hit" to get the disk to sling around. It wasn't happening. By "pulling around the nose" now I'm starting to feel the disc make that last little arc and pick up acceleration. I know I'm not getting the full hit but now, I've finally got the feeling and know what I need to work on to improve. Still ways to go but another barrier crossed.

I was just sitting at my PC watching some Jon Stewart and pick up the Tee Bird sitting beside me and just automatically did a couple of the old "hammer drills". I then realized that that was what I had just started putting into my throw. Not trying to hammer the box or hammer the wall, but getting that disc to sling around at the last second.

but getting that disc to sling around at the last second.
That's the same mechanics as hammering. You hold the head end back of the handle and then sling it forward into the nail.

SW, you are correct. But for me it's psychological. If I'm using a framing hammer the wrist is pretty rigid; if I'm using a tapping hammer to hang a picture on the wall it's more wrist action.

SW, you are correct. But for me it's psychological. If I'm using a framing hammer the wrist is pretty rigid; if I'm using a tapping hammer to hang a picture on the wall it's more wrist action.

Is the wrist supposed to be active or passive? In other words am I supposed to be throwing my wrist to the target, or am I just supposed to let it open with the force I have generated (not much)?

Last edited:
As I understand it, the hinging open is passive. It's the quick stop which generates the sling of the disc that's the active part.

That is what is believed to be the difference between half and full hit. I guess I would be classified as a half hitter.

In either case, in the power pocket the mechanics should cause wrist loading (closing), which happens due to angles and disc weight. The wrist will begin to open during the hit. If it just opens passively at this point (even with resistance) this is what lots of people describe as a half hit. You can definitely throw over 400' this way. Adding to the opening motion once it has started is how lots of people describe the full hit.

Either way there should be no "stop" in my opinion during the throw...all of the angles and positions work out to allow for the wrist to load and unload.

And akray21, for me it was useful to not think of anything "at" the target...it got me into too much of a linear motion. Everything should eventually go around your spine/axis when you're unleashing the arm/shoulder, which will end up with the disc going forwards.

Today I read this thread and had half an hour of spare time. Took five Aviars and threw an open 295 ft hole.

First two sets were meh, but then: boom! After one set all five discs were pretty much parked. The longest shot was about 15 ft past the pin.

For me a 300 ft accurate putter shot is something really exciting. Previously I've been able to max Destroyers at around 375 feet, but I've still felt uneasy about my technique.

The thing that helped today was thinking about hitting a nail with the hammer way right of the line to the basket (I'm RHBH). Even with a very slow x-step I was really hitting it. I probably could've thrown a Destroyer past 400 today.

You guys are awesome.

Got out to throw and was concentrating on the nail-driving/pulling around the nose concepts. I found the distance consistency picked up. I'm not confident with the timing, as yet, as I found a new symptom of the timing being off just a bit.

The new problem is that of snapping the elbow open at the hit--when the timing is good it never snaps out to full extension (as far as I can tell) and there's no discomfort. When the timing is off, the elbow can snap open painfully at the hit before I get the pull around the nose/tug to the right begun. I'm assuming the arm is ahead of everything else when that happens. Anything to help with that other than simple repetition?

The elbow should never lock out, don't ever do it any cost. I don't tug nothing to the right. If you tug to the right you don't leave yourself much room to follow through.

I don't plan on locking out the elbow. That tug to the right is the feeling that HUB mentioned in one post, the feeling he gets when the disc is slinging around the pinch. It's a good feeling for me, for the disc is noticeably flying better with it.

There's always room for follow through, whether the elbow locks or not. As I said, it's a timing thing, as it's only appeared as I've sped up the final acceleration into the hit. I suspect it's just a matter of training while paying attention to that particular issue with the greater acceleration.

Imo, the right pull is actively opening my wrist. Shoulders are still opened up so the arm is extended at 10:30 while making a 90 degree with the shoulders.

I believe that the right hammering sensation is the palm bounce: the palm bounce initiates active wrist opening and the index finger hooks hard through the ejection.

Drastically easier to feel with a mid and oddly enough my breaker.

I want absolutely nothing with getting anywhere near bottoming out the elbow. I'd wager that my arm is not closer than 10 degrees from locked out. Really bad stuff happens against that constraint of motion. There's a natural extension that happens if you just let your arm dangle loosely - that seems to be my 'open'.

I disagree completely with that article. If you are stuck at say 425-450 with good form, then increased stride that still properly shifts weight is where you make gains.

The VAST majority of people are not stuck at 425+ because of a slow x-step, peruse the form analysis forum for 5 minutes to see what common issues are.

The overwhelming majority is players that are missing out on the fundamentals - which will hold them to 350 at best.