• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I spend my money on a Katana?

Before this thread goes haywire (like EVERY thread seems to these days :rolleyes:) I want to make a simple point: If you are looking for more distance on your throws and think you are going to find it sitting on a shelf, you are looking in the wrong place.

Amen. Hallelujah.:clap:

At 300-320' the pro is the plastic you want. I wouldn't get anything less than 170 grams. You can probably expect a 20' increase. The pro katana does poor in a headwind. Plenty of other threads on the katana to look at too.

I'm enjoying the Pro Katana, it's added noticable distance to my drives 60-80 feet. I've parked 2 holes this week that I've never ever come close to & I over threw a couple of holes today with it. Out of all the plastics, the pro flies the best in my opinion.

I too like the katana, but in heavier weights (171-175) and prefer star first if you can find it. If your not sure though, pro will do the trick but make sure you use it on long open drives rather then on the woodlands course where it is a little more tight. Too many trees and it will be a roller disc.

GOT MY SON ONE JUST BEFORE OUR LAST DISC TRIP. HE NOW SLEEPS WITH IT I THINK !!!!.YOU CAN GET A PRO FOR 10.00 BUCKS.

Why has no one made a disc called a shuriken yet? I mean, ninja throwing stars, c'mon I don't have to draw a picture do I?

I threw my longest throw with an R-Pro Katana, but due to it's unpredictable nature, I have never used it in a PDGA event. A friend of mine, with a solid throw, had trouble with the overstability of a Champ Katana.

I think my next move is to the buy a very light Champ or try a heavier R-Pro. I did like the distance, I don't own anything that is close to a Katana, but I think the plastic may matter a whole lot.

I think the Star is the best version of the Katana. The Pro is too flippy for me and the Champ is stable but sucks into headwind. Star does what the disc is made for

Given how far you throw I don't think that you'll deal with a lot of the flip issues.

IMO the best way to get more distance is work on form, not buy discs.

That said, I'm liking the Champ Katana but I'm gonna wait until a general release in champ plastic before I buy another one.

I love my star katana. I will also wait until it comes out as a regular star stamp to get another. It added some distance to my drive. Like AdamH said though work on form. That is one of the main things.

Katana is a nice disc, I have two champs. But they are not a miracle disc. The first run is really sweet but the other is kinda unpredictable. If you are going to get one, I'd go with a first run, if u can find one, or a star.

I think the Star is the best version of the Katana. The Pro is too flippy for me and the Champ is stable but sucks into headwind. Star does what the disc is made for

Too bad they're so much more expensive.

My experience: I have 2 Pros. One is 171 and the other is 175. The 171 flies great for me and I throw the 175 into the ground almost every time (turn it over way too soon). I throw about 250-280 with a Destroyer (throwing forehand). With the Katana I have been getting 280-320. So I got some improvement. My brother (throws 300-350 with a Boss) had the 2 Katanas do the same thing for him. My wife throws a Starfire about 180-220 forehand, but it is real beat in and does a big S-curve. The Katana was about the same distance, maybe a little longer, but not near the curve. However, she always did better with the heavier one.

On a side note: All three of us threw a Force and a Nuke about the same.