• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skyiron Disc Golf

Wow .. knee-jerk much?

Having it called, awful, ugly and in your words "80's" clearly constitutes being 'hung up'. Even to the point of the guy saying that he was going to change it. I was just stating the fact that I don't understand that. It certainly doesn't mean that the stamp doesn't affect sales, because clearly not everybody feels the way I do (as evidenced by this thread). He obviously felt the same way that I do, but was proven wrong by the response he got here.

a company should feel pretty good that the stamp is the only thing people dont like. easily changed and i would imagine more cost effective if proven to matter.

i think it is clear in America and the majority of the world that image matters over quality. its incredibly sad i know but its true. anyone who refuses to see that is doomed to meritocracy at best.

there is beauty is simpilicity. there is alot to that stamp and all of it is ugly....sorry but its true. if i found myself with a few extra bucks and bought this disc i would probably remove everything but the part that says FLAGSHIP. a suggestion on marketing, why not run a contest for art design for your next stamp.

Just got my Flagship in the mail today. I won't have an opportunity to throw it until Sunday most likely with my work schedule. The plastic seems more like an opaque gummy champion then star. The grip is slightly slicker than Champ but not bad overall. The stamp is silver with a slight glitter in it that looks like it shouldn't be difficult to remove with acetone for dyeing. I'll attempt to remove a small part tomorrow and see how it goes.

The rim feels relatively shallow compared to many other drivers, and slightly concaves towards the outer edge of the wing at the base ofthe rim and flight plate. The flight plate itself appears similar to a Vulcan top but not as well pronounced. I plan on throwing it side by side with Orcs, Katanas, Strikers, Rivers, TLs and any other discs I have that anyone would suggest a comparison with.

It appears there may be a few minor molding issues with hardly noticeable bumps and scrapes that appear to be from the molding of the disc. It's also worth noting that this does seem to be a good quality product, and before throwing it I prefer the plastic to anything a company like Gateway has for their drivers.

More info to come when field testing is underway

Last edited:
^ Let us know how it goes, I'd like to see how it stacks up against a katana. Hope it's a solid disc other than it's cosmetic flaws.

ZBoazMobsters Skyiron Flagship review.

I got mine on Friday. The disc was wrecked somehow during transit. I think I did a great job of fixing it up. I layed it upside down on another upside down disc, and let the sun and my dashboard heat it up. It flattened out just fine, minus some dimples on the flightplate, not unlike a well-worn disc might have.

Starting off on how it feels: This plastic blend Skyiron uses is awesome to say the least. It feels like silk. Anyone who uses dirt, powder, sawdust or what-not will love this feeling. These people might not even need thier powders. I did not recieve one negative comment on the slickness of the plastic. The rim, shoulder, and jaw feel just fine and not too unusual. The flightplate is very thin. The Flagship may draw the same concerns that the Nuke did when it came out first, in ESP plastic, ie: easily punctured by Climo's 'Iron Leaf'.

In the hand: This driver is slightly larger in diameter than most. A couple people pointed this out right off the bat, as soon as it was in hand, including myself. Of the twenty people I handed it to (pros, beginners, and in between), five used one common word describing what other disc the rim first reminded them of: Flick. This was a good sign. People are liking it, and we havn't even thrown it yet.

The look: The plastic as mentioned, is beautiful! The horizontal machine witness marks we first had concern over, is of no concern. You can't really feel them, and you can only hardly tell by sound when you rub your fingernail across them. I don't believe these lines will effect the flight in the slightest, and in my opinion add a new look to disc golf. The stamp design, need I go there? The stamp it's self is very nice looking metallic material as far as I know, does not mimic anything we already have.

Flight time: I have to point out that the Flagship I recieved and repaired may not fly like a brand new Flagship. I presume this one flies like a beat Flagship.
I have to be honest. The Flagship is flippy. When the big arms tried to power the hell out of it with a flat release, the Flagship flipped, rolled, and rolled, and rolled. I'm not talking 400-500 feet, I mean 600-700+ feet. It went so far, it was lost twice as a matter of fact. Now, when thrown with a decent amount of hyzer release and powered down, it flies GREAT! I got a few near 400 footers using a one-step take-it-easy drive. The Flagship does not need alot of power to fly and will fly very well for less-than powerful throwers. Given a good amount of tailwind, the Flagship might be a hell of a machine to have in your bag. Any one who deals with alot of wind will love the Flagship for this.

Wear/Durability: For a champy-like plastic, this stuff is super durable. As I mentioned before, it rolled for a mile... and you can't tell. I slammed this thing against rocks... you cannot tell. Tree? What tree? I pancaked it across gravel, the stamp stayed solid. This particular disc shows a durability above average. This plastic has me very excited, I cannot wait for more products from Skyiron.

The outcome: The Flagship most certainly has a spot in disc golf. I might be tempted to call it a great disc for beginners/women/childern, not unlike the Diamond. Personally, I am glad to place it in this category. I'm not a big fan of the lastest craze most companies are doing with the 'latest and greatest high speed driver designed for the touring pro'. Those discs are hurting the sport because every noob in the world has to have one, and will never learn a proper throw with it. We here at DGCR already know this. The Flagship is just the opposite. You will learn control and form with this disc. Any disc that is easily put thru a full flight-path (S) will go further, and more accurate than a stupidly overstable 'not-designed for-you-noob' disc will.

Final words: Skyiron has done a great job with the Flagship. My hopes are that this company thrives in disc manufacturing. I'm excited to see what the next product is, and the next, and the next. A superior plastic by far, this blend is perfect for disc golf. Good luck to Skyiron, I want to see this company go big!

Thank you, Skyiron, for the Flagship. You have done a great job Ashton! Keep up the good work.

-Kenneth Jackson
AKA: ZBoazMobster

Do any online retailers have these yet?

westxchef
and I wish it was only 90 here.

I hope it drops down to 90. Yes that is 102 at almost 9:00 pm

Great review mobster, sucks that the plastic game in a bad condition, but that's impressive that it still flew well. It would be cool if companies like GGGT had it up on their sites but I might just have to order it directly from skyiron.

Flagship review

So my Flagship (red, 177g) arrived over the weekend, courtesy of SkyIron Disc Golf.

I have handed it to a few other players and the common response without throwing is that the feel and the plastic both seem nice. I have to agree it seems like a very good combination of grip and durability. It is super flat and the large diameter is noticable.

It's raining in Chico today, but I did get a couple throws in last night at Lava Creek after work. It definitely flies high speed understable, but has a decently strong fade that is late in the flight, like it stays at high speed spin for a long time. To me, it flies like a Katana should. And with it's smaller rim, it should be very popular with those that want a high speed driver that fits better in the hand.

Here is what I would give it for Joe's Flight Chart numbers:
Range: 5.5
HSS: -2.5
LSS: 3
Power: 5

Durability testing when I get a chance to play Chico. Sharp lava rocks everywhere. I'm not too worried about the flight plate being punctured. ;)

I think the stamp is very contemporary. Looks good to me.

Blue_Spin_1.gif

Looks fine. But please get that company name properly kerned! There's waaaay too much space between the second and third letters of SKYIRON. Looks like SK YIRON.

Thanks.

I like websites (Skyiron)
I don't like Fecesbook (VooDoo)
I also like small stamps on the backs of discs. (Good for dyes)
New companies are good.

I ordered a red 171 gram Skyiron Flagship on Saturday and it arrived yesterday. The graphics were a bit smudged in a few places but that doesn't really bother me that much. If it was a Discraft it probably would have been tossed out as a misprint though. I threw it quite a few times during my round last night. I liked it. It's earned a spot in my bag for awhile.

People are having fun with mine. Everyday I pull it out, and someone sees it and wants to throw it. Some of the guys are learning how to throw it properly, and it goes a mile.

a company should feel pretty good that the stamp is the only thing people dont like. easily changed and i would imagine more cost effective if proven to matter.

i think it is clear in America and the majority of the world that image matters over quality. its incredibly sad i know but its true. anyone who refuses to see that is doomed to meritocracy at best.

there is beauty is simpilicity. there is alot to that stamp and all of it is ugly....sorry but its true. if i found myself with a few extra bucks and bought this disc i would probably remove everything but the part that says FLAGSHIP. a suggestion on marketing, why not run a contest for art design for your next stamp.

Curious if you consider this ugly? would you remove the stamp?

attachment.php

Attachments

• CE teebird.jpg
    CE teebird.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 203
I got my SK YIRON Flagship in the mail yesterday.

It has a few qc issues including small dimples (especially on the inside rim) and some cosmetic stuff on the flight plate. No deal breakers for me...nothing that would affect flight but prolly would have been an xout by bigger outfit.

Sounds like the majority of these would be x-outs, not that I've ever had a problem with them. They fly the same way and save me some money. But it seems like it hasn't been just cosmetic issues so far, I know someone posted on here before saying they had a deformed disc because of poor shipping & handling but they found a way to fix it.