• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skyiron Disc Golf

5 minute flim flam...not centered or wedited not great but semi presentable

Attachments

• sifs.jpg
    sifs.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
El-Kabong that looks really awesome. I personally like the simplicity of my print but I've quickly learned that it is unpopular! My second run I come gere to get some feedback before I slap it on my disc!

Print aside, I love how Flagship flies and I'm very proud of it. Hopefully a few upcoming reviews will convince the rest of you, no one wants to believe my extremely biased opinion.

El-Kabong that looks really awesome. I personally like the simplicity of my print but I've quickly learned that it is unpopular! My second run I come gere to get some feedback before I slap it on my disc!

Print aside, I love how Flagship flies and I'm very proud of it. Hopefully a few upcoming reviews will convince the rest of you, no one wants to believe my extremely biased opinion.

I am an unrated PDGA member and will gladly review your disc!

I used to buy about 50% of my discs because of the graphics on them. Now that I dye discs, my first thoughts on appearance are 1)is it white or clear, and 2) how deep is the stamp. If the Flagship is at Disc Stalker next time I'm there buying, and it feels as good as Lat64 in my hand, I'll buy and try it. And I'll wipe the stamp off and dye the Queen Anne's Revenge onto it.

A few thoughts:

1. You've given discs to some "professionals" to review. Want honest feedback, send them out to casual players, even "beginners" like your website says, and see what they have to say. Or are you only designing discs for pros? Regular joes are who are spending money on plastic, why not see how they're throwing the disc. Cater to the people who are going to be the ones buying your plastic, not some mid-level dudes who are "pro" that you know.

2. The design is bad, as is the logo. I'm not a graphic artist, but I am a consumer who appreciates a company that has obviously put time and lots of thought into their company's design. What you have, from the Flagship art to your logo in general, is super basic and very amateurish looking. Seriously, why are you using a mid-80s font on a disc in the year 2011?

3. The photos on your site are terrible. "Bad cropping?" Seriously? Did you not check out EVERY aspect of your site before you launched it? How could you let those pictures of the disc with what looks like gauges in the plastic escape your scrutiny? Change those photos ASAP. And in the future only use professionals on projects like that.

4. You seem to contradict yourself in your posts about the weird texture that looks to be on the disc. You say that it "increases grip" but you also state that when you run your finger across it you can't feel anything. That makes no sense. If you're gonna use something like that as a marketing strategy, make damn sure you can explain what the hell you're talking about. Your explanation sounded like something from a door-to-door salesman who's new to the whole game of sales.

5. Good luck with everything. I honestly can't tell if you're passionate, or just looking to make some cash off of a extremely fast growing market. I hope you're passionate, because if you are, you'll make the necessary changes to be a success. There are lots of new companies coming into the disc golf community and you're really going to need something unique to make it work.

1)is it white or clear, and 2) how deep is the stamp.

The plastic is clear + the coloring. The red is slightly see-through, the blue and orange are pretty opaque. I've never tried to chemically remove the print. One player I've sent a disc to is involved in stamping and he will add that kind of information in his review.

Sure shoot me an e-mail, a review from you can't hurt. A couple reviews on DGCR would do wonders for me.

Done.

I'm not a pro, but not a n00b, either. I won't have any trouble with an 11 speed, as most of my drivers are in that range anyways.

I'll let you guys know what I think. To be honest, the flight #'s look like something I would look at anyways.

Awesome Cheifstang. I'm not looking to get my discs to only professionals, I was just looking to find some active players that knew what they were talking about so the community would get accurate reviews.

The plastic is clear + the coloring. The red is slightly see-through, the blue and orange are pretty opaque. I've never tried to chemically remove the print. One player I've sent a disc to is involved in stamping and he will add that kind of information in his review.

I like that a manufacturer is actually interested in hearing questions, ideas, and other feedback from the target consumers. Thank you for that.
One Idea for increasing the visual appeal is that you could add some glitter or pigment pellets to the blend for nice effects at a low cost. Everyone loves sparkle and marble discs.
Oh yeah, I'm in Metro-Atlanta and our best pro shop is Disc Stalker. They will gladly stock your discs.

if you're looking for someone to test the magnet like disc I would make a good candidate, I've been throwing magnets for years and own over 40 of them, I'm very familiar with the flight and would love to try out a similar disc made by a different manufacturer.

I have one on the way. I will be out all weekend so the soonest I will get it and be able to throw it is monday so you should be expecting a Review + Flight Videos around wed next week.

I am excited to review this disc the flight ratings sound like something that will replace a sidewinder in my bag.

A few thoughts:

1. You've given discs to some "professionals" to review. Want honest feedback, send them out to casual players, even "beginners" like your website says, and see what they have to say. Or are you only designing discs for pros? Regular joes are who are spending money on plastic, why not see how they're throwing the disc. Cater to the people who are going to be the ones buying your plastic, not some mid-level dudes who are "pro" that you know.

2. The design is bad, as is the logo. I'm not a graphic artist, but I am a consumer who appreciates a company that has obviously put time and lots of thought into their company's design. What you have, from the Flagship art to your logo in general, is super basic and very amateurish looking. Seriously, why are you using a mid-80s font on a disc in the year 2011?

3. The photos on your site are terrible. "Bad cropping?" Seriously? Did you not check out EVERY aspect of your site before you launched it? How could you let those pictures of the disc with what looks like gauges in the plastic escape your scrutiny? Change those photos ASAP. And in the future only use professionals on projects like that.

4. You seem to contradict yourself in your posts about the weird texture that looks to be on the disc. You say that it "increases grip" but you also state that when you run your finger across it you can't feel anything. That makes no sense. If you're gonna use something like that as a marketing strategy, make damn sure you can explain what the hell you're talking about. Your explanation sounded like something from a door-to-door salesman who's new to the whole game of sales.

5. Good luck with everything. I honestly can't tell if you're passionate, or just looking to make some cash off of a extremely fast growing market. I hope you're passionate, because if you are, you'll make the necessary changes to be a success. There are lots of new companies coming into the disc golf community and you're really going to need something unique to make it work.
I'll hit each of your points, I'll try not to get defensive.

1. You are right, and I have sent the discs out to more amateurs than people in the pro league because I agree with you 100%. I made a disc that is accessible to the majority of players and I want reviews from them.

2. I like my logo but I've quickly come to realize my stamp was an unpopular choice. As I said in my first post I kept everything under the table because I wasn't sure what my timeline was going to be for launch. It's clear now I should have come here earlier to get a broader range of opinions. I'm running a one man show and all of my time and focus went into the mold and plastic.

3. I hate to admit defeat on this one but I cut a corner here I shouldn't have. I was excited to get to market, I knew it was't perfect but thought it was good enough to get started. I'll have the raw images sent to a graphic artist to clean them up.

4. Any texture on a surface will increase the grip, more-so than if the disc was polished smooth. That said it's an aesthetic choice and I should have worded my answers better.

5. I'm passionate about this game and I'm confident about my disc. It kills me to read criticism about something that I've poured tons of time into and that I am very proud of. That said, I am thankful for honest opinions so I can make the right changes in the future.

Haters gonna hate.

We've spoken privately, and I've explained my position. Skyiron seems like a stand up guy and he understands that I was just trying to create dialogue. He even agreed with me on three points. ;)
I was just playing devil's advocate. Definitely not a hater. :|