• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Skyiron Flagship - Run2, Art

Skyiron Discs

Hello DGCR Community! For those that don't know me (I'm still new) I own/operate 'Skyiron Discs' and we currently manufacture one distance driver called Flagship. Just search Skyiron or Flagship on this forum and you will see plenty of positive reviews about the plastic and flight of the disc. You will also find equally as many posts personally attacking me for my poor art choices!

My bad Disc Golf Community... I severely underestimated the importance of aesthetics. I spent way too much time making a plastic blend and well-flying disc and not enough time worrying about the stamp. This is where you come in. Run 1 is sold out; I've taken all of your constructive criticism and have been making adjustments accordingly. There will be more information about the changes in run 2 later; this post is only about the art.

Two awesome DGCR community members, Les White and Josheph Sova, designed some new disc art for me! I like them both, and can print both, but I want to hear what you guys (my current and potential customers) have to say.

hGMZv.jpg

Credit: Les White

629cB.jpg

Credit: Joseph Sova

:popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
I like the first one, but am having trouble finding a relation to the use of gears and cogs. The name Skyiron and Flagship don't really make me think of gears at all. But it is well designed and looks better than what you had, plus the fonts he used are a win. The other one isn't right for a disc. Good artwork, but it looks like it belongs on something other that a DG disc.

Thats my 2-cents.

The gears were my idea, Les was kind enough to put them together for me. This is Les' original logo/disc redesign which was posted in another thread. I should have posted this one up top as well.

I apologize I don't have this art in the same format so try not to let the disc and color throw you off.

mHLZs.jpg

not a huge fan of the gears either. The wave on number two is a bit much, but I agree, ship ship shippy ship

edit: I like the winged logo too

Do the ship, but maybe with a darker look. Something similar to what Discmania's been doing with their stamps.

Skyiron and Flagship together give me an airship/steampunk feel. I like the gears. I picture a big, luxury Zeppelin. Or something like the airships you got in good Final Fantasy games, lol. I don't know if you're going with the same theme (the Shooner mid-range, the Tugboat putter, etc.), but that might also dictate your stamp direction.

Personally the proto stamp on the yellow is my favorite. But that's a brand logo, not a mold stamp. But hey, Lat 64 just uses the same logo on every GL disc with just a font type for the mold, and they are doing great.

The gears were my idea, Les was kind enough to put them together for me. This is Les' original logo/disc redesign which was posted in another thread. I should have posted this one up top as well.

I apologize I don't have this art in the same format so try not to let the disc and color throw you off.

mHLZs.jpg

I like Aothiom/LW's original the best. the gears are weird and unbalanced. The ship/wave design is too "cute and cuddly"

Not to mention that ship has about 2 seconds to live when that wave reduces it to flotsam

Last edited:

mHLZs.jpg

This one, simply yet stylish.

I like Aothiom/LW's original the best. the gears are weird and unbalanced. The ship/wave design is too "cute and cuddly"

Not to mention that ship has about 2 seconds to live when that wave reduces it to flotsam

This

First awesome poke at the community on their poking at you on the art ... well done and in good taste! I think your priorities were in the right place ;-)

Do you plan on having 2 or more lines of plastic for each mold? If so I would say use the "boat" for the lower grade plastic and either the wing or gears for the "premium" plastic. While I do see the direct correlation between iron and gears that some are missing, I think the wings and design on the yellow disc around the 1 gear with the "S" in it in the top would be on point! <--- this if you're only planning 1 grade of plastic.

mHLZs.jpg

THIS!!! :thmbup:

The gears make me think CLUNKY, the Waves make me think this is a FLOATING disc...however, the WINGS make me think this sucker is made to FLY!!!!

Just my 2 cents: I dig the minimalist logos. The cogs one is neat plus you have the advantage of subconciously appealing to steampunk of whatever you want to call it scene. The wings logo is also appealing for the same minimalistic reason plus for those that don't like cogs its there. The ship on the other hand, i'm not really a fan of. Something seems off with its appearnce and I can't imagine it looking all that great stamped into a disc. Also do you ever intend to release a disc thats not high speed say speed 7 or 8? (I completely understand that highspeed discs sell well and im not at al adverse to the idea)

Jrawks suggested edits

Things that are throwing off the gears/wings design:

Nothing is ever "overlined" in any form of text. We use underlines. So i flipped the cresent to be on the bottom. This also plays with "sky" in skyiron, as the cresent is openning up to the sky.

The "gears" look too static for a moving object. and "Wings" are already being used by other companies. So i simply removed both.

I know this is a 5.5 inch stamp, But the "flagship" text group was wayyy to large. I simply scaled it down a little bit.

The White dot in the original cresent is very distracting and out of place. Same with the black dot opposite the cresent. I removed them.

attachment.php

(btw, if these edits prove popular and any form of them is chosen for final design, please continue to credit Les White. I have no interest in or intentions on being associated with the changes.)

Attachments

• skyiron variant by jrawk.png
    skyiron variant by jrawk.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited: