• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

snap helios

I just ordered two of these off the snap website. I wonder how long they'll take to arrive... anybody have any guesses?

Also... why aren't there more reviews here? The PDGA board also has a thread on the Helios that nobody is posting reviews to, despite a few posts from people who've received theirs before last weekend.

Come on people! I mean seriously!

I've only thrown mine a handful of times, but they're high speed understable. Hyzer flip discs for sure. More low speed fade than a valk, but similar or less high speed stability.

I hyzer flip my stiff ones and I have some gummies that are stable and perfect. I pushed a few way out over 400' today

ryankilgore said:
I just ordered two of these off the snap website. I wonder how long they'll take to arrive... anybody have any guesses?

Also... why aren't there more reviews here? The PDGA board also has a thread on the Helios that nobody is posting reviews to, despite a few posts from people who've received theirs before last weekend.

Come on people! I mean seriously!

The natives are getting restless. Dave? Come on first hints and impressions are welcome it doesn't have to be a full on review at this point :)

I'm frankly surprised at the comment of LSS being close to a Valk. I would've thought it had less LSS so that it would glide longer flat. Does it get the glide at higher speeds or is the onset of fade delayed or does the added distance come from the higher than Valk speed alone? I was under the impression that Helios should be glide king with minimal fade like Leopard or something like that was my hope.

JR said:
I'm frankly surprised at the comment of LSS being close to a Valk.

From the few throws I've had, I think they have less LSS (fade) than the Valk. I have a 168 and a 171. The 171 seems to be a little more HSS than the 168 - not much, but more so than you would expect for 3 grams difference.

Jerry R said:
JR said:
I'm frankly surprised at the comment of LSS being close to a Valk.

From the few throws I've had, I think they have less LSS (fade) than the Valk. I have a 168 and a 171. The 171 seems to be a little more HSS than the 168 - not much, but more so than you would expect for 3 grams difference.

Could be that old trouble of wide rimmed drivers acting differently to each other from the smallest of molding, cooling whatever differences.

I somehow lost the 175 I got, but my others are light (169) and super light (158). But the throws I got with the 175 had some turn with a good fade.

Furthur said:
I somehow lost the 175 I got, but my others are light (169) and super light (158). But the throws I got with the 175 had some turn with a good fade.

Do the lighter ones behave similarly with that much fade? Or was the 175 victim of wide rimmed drivers flying differently from each other?

Dave D wrote on PDGA board that some Echo Xcalibers had so high tops that it became too understable when usually high domes prevent discs from becoming too flippy and fight to flex back out of a turn.

Was your 175 Helios either a very flat topped or extremely domey? If they are very flat topped that'd mean probably that the mold is low speed overstabler than I had thought. If it was a case of a huge dome then I'm not worried at all. That can be cured :)

Ain't your signature the truth or what?

Edited for a miswrite.

I think they've tried to make them without the super dome. At least, if you read the description on their website, that was the plan. The 158 has a little more dome, but I wouldn't call any of the 3 I have domey.

So is this as controlled distance as advertised? it sounds more like a wraith type max D only disc.

Finally got to really throw these today. Not my cup of tea. To flippy at high speed. It has a nece fade but too little to late. I also don't like to throw it real high to get the big come back. I wasn't any longer than my Teebirds. Plastic feels very nice. These will probably be up for trade soon.

I have a 165 and 162. They are both very flippy. i'd say these are about as high speed understabe as my broken in 165 pro d XL. they do seem to fall out of the air fast with a fair amount of low speed fade. to me, the only line that I could get to work was a hyser flip turnover with enough height to have it flex back. even with that unrealistic golf line I didn't find them very long. I'd say about the same d as my XLs.

I was hoping for a faster longer buzzz with the helios. instead it is like a faster longer 10 meter brick. I do hope they try to tweak the mold a bit because the idea of a large diameter max d driver is cool.

nearly zer0 said:
I have a 165 and 162. They are both very flippy. i'd say these are about as high speed understabe as my broken in 165 pro d XL. they do seem to fall out of the air fast with a fair amount of low speed fade. to me, the only line that I could get to work was a hyser flip turnover with enough height to have it flex back. even with that unrealistic golf line I didn't find them very long. I'd say about the same d as my XLs.

I was hoping for a faster longer buzzz with the helios. instead it is like a faster longer 10 meter brick. I do hope they try to tweak the mold a bit because the idea of a large diameter max d driver is cool.

That does it for me. Even though I'm not 100 % speed dominant thrower any more I still don't like to throw with extreme initial hyzer due to my hurt back. I'm waiting for FGR release. Maybe it'll be a bit more HSS. Plus I do throw fast and my home course is murder on soft plastics so with the picture on the PDGA board about a damaged Helios after a grass skip to a picnic table it seems that I'd retire discs weekly if not daily with EGR.

I'm wondering about the best flight line for the Helios. If it's going to flip and flex back late and with enough LSS to to fall quickly thanks to banking immediately to the left then it sounds like more height is needed. Sounds like an Sirius Orion LF 1.1 heavy weighted to me. On an anhyzer of more than about 7 degrees on 350'+ power. To me that's not a bad thing because there are many places especially on getting out of trouble shots where throwing over trees is a great option when distance is still a requirement. So this disc would also be golfable for me not just fun for long distance throwing on a field. As soon as more durable plastic is available for handling the drops from high altitudes.

Just curious, but who aside from Dave has thrown a 175+? I though that one had good flight without being too flippy.

I tossed a friends 179 gummy today with a big tailwind, 25-30 mph. This sucker went far with the wind. Huge S curve. I was getting about 410-420ish. I'm still not used to big S shot for D. I'm more of a line drive guy. The glide on these are nice. I'm still on the fence on these.