• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

snap helios

i FINALLY got my three(165,170,174gummy) in today and eagerly await giving them a toss, first impressions: i love the feel of the plastic, the regular egr ones feel somewhere in between DX,S, and pro plastic where as the gummy feels like a weird blend of pro (kinda like the ice bowl ching rocs), looks/feels like a wide rimmed valk to me. ill be back later with some practice field impressions :)

I threw my new 169g in a field yesterday. I only got a couple of practice throws in before it got too rainy, but overall I thought it was very similar to my Valkyrie in a similar weight.

The plastic is disappointing though; it's going to get beat up very quickly.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:WAYYYYY too understable for the likes of me (and i throw DX valks) not a bad max d disc in a backwind or no wind but even a 5/10 mph headwind with 30 or so degrees of hyzer will turn into a roller :( and i had such high hopes for this disc. It would prolly be a good max d driver for someone with 300/325 feet of power but if you can throw 400+ its pretty useless, hopefully the FGR plastic will stabilize this disc a bit cuz i think it is a really good max d mold (SUPER glidey)

i'd give the helios a -4 hss and 3 lss.

it's about stratus understable, but is faster, doesn't glide as much and stronger/earlier fade. in other words, junk.

I found one on a course this weekend, but didn't get to throw it. I hope Snap is doing something besides this base plastic--I haven't been following the disc too closely, but from the pictures, I'd always assumed it was going to come out in a premium plastic, like Latitude 64's Opto plastic. The stuff I felt reminded me of...I hate to say it...Quarter K plastic. It DID feel good and grippy, but def. didn't look like it'd survive many, if any, tree hits. The one I found was actually pretty warped already, and looked like it'd be flippier than a spatula.

From reading the initial reviews, it seems like Snap is a hyzer-friendly company.

Those of you that have thrown the Helios, how does it compare to the Whitler? It almost seems like one would have to throw the Helios with the wrist rolling up, much like one has to do with the Whitler....

jamsisjams said:
From reading the initial reviews, it seems like Snap is a hyzer-friendly company.

Those of you that have thrown the Helios, how does it compare to the Whitler? It almost seems like one would have to throw the Helios with the wrist rolling up, much like one has to do with the Whitler....
its simmilar to the whittler in that it is USELESS in any type of wind but fun to play with in zero wind (still useless)

nearly zer0 said:
i'd give the helios a -4 hss and 3 lss.

it's about stratus understable, but is faster, doesn't glide as much and stronger/earlier fade. in other words, junk.

That is understable numbers indeed. Going to regular weights like 175 might help especially when they get the harder plastic out.

Heh, I bust my Whitler out in winds all the time. Mind you, I have to read the wind correctly but thankfully my home course is in the woods--winds don't really penetrate through the trees and such.

Yeah understable and all that... But is it really fast?

Compared to say a Destroyer?

Glide compared to Assassin?

I'm a smaller arm, and any equipment advantage I can get, I'm all over!

sweeper said:
Yeah understable and all that... But is it really fast?

Compared to say a Destroyer?

Glide compared to Assassin?

I'm a smaller arm, and any equipment advantage I can get, I'm all over!
like i said if you throw >350 this disc could possibly stretch your max d out a few feet

I saw what roadkill posted about his 166 EGR on PDGA board.

Looking at my Helii 159 and 177 gummy I can't help but think if the disc turned out different from what it was intended. The edge droops down _low_. So much so that i wonder if it was meant to be straight. So I tuned my 159 to straight edged but didn't have a chance to throw it in heavy winds playing rounds with a friend yesterday.

Without tuning Helii can be thrown high, nose down with steep like 35-45 degrees of initial hyzer and still some wrist roll under before the disc leaves the hand. Then it'll flip to flat if wanted. Or over if you want to have an s-curve. For about 400' power with other discs. Thrown this way Helios isn't that long for me because I can't get the nose down enough so that the speed would stay high enough to avoid the fade. I'm probably spin deficient in my form.

Got to throw my 159 tuned to flatter edge than original and the difference is immense!!! Even more of a Jekyll and Hyde transformation than TL with or without flashing.

I don't know if the edge of the disc drooped somewhat after tuning or if I remember falsely. I thought I tuned the edge to straight. Please don't! It's way too much. With a slight droop at the edge of about one third IIRC of the way back towards straight edged my disc was after crossing the Atlantic the disc got to too overstable for distance. It was almost as overstable as my Z Predator. Pretty insane considering the weight difference. The tuning made the disc a lot faster which was a double edged sword. Because this is such a large diameter disc it's already quite nose angle sensitive. Consider the low weight of my disc and the winds on the field I threw at you can probably guess how high some of the throws lifted. So much so that when the heavy fade kicked in the disc dropped from so high at so steep an angle that the disc tuned itself back to less overstable. Partly.

Because the tuning went overboard I tuned it back a bit to less stable. I think it's quite stable now if it wasn't for the wind. Can't say for sure before throwing in calm weather. Rare this time of the year.

This disc loves an anhyzer max D line thrown high and nose down in rear winds. Major left-right play. Huge glide. Seemed to like higher apexes than regular discs. Meaning a slow nose down speed at major altitude didn't flex the disc out too early leading to a stall and puny distance.

I can't say for sure the altitude my longest right rear wind(mild) throw had. Around 22' high s-curve moving 25-30' sideways. Didn't pay that much attention to the sideways action so can't say for sure. D was 377' with too much of a nose down angle that cut the flight short. The disc hit the ground flat sideways at high speed and would've skipped a lot farther. I think with optimal nose down angle(less than on this throw and not hitting a fence it did) the distance would've been 390'+. Probably more than 400' and would've skipped more still. Which is about as far I get with any disc. For best results Helios needs an experienced thrower because it's quite demanding technically.

I think it still is easy to get good distance out of by weenie arms too. Tuned properly. I'd say that for new players it's fine as it is when new. If mine is representative of the disc. Wouldn't wonder if shipping tuned mine into less stable than intended.

With the initial overtuning Helios skipped almost as much as a Z Pred. With the adjustment to less overstable it skips about like an Eagle X landing with hyzer.

The winds didn't allow testing for low line drives. Does need a hyzer flip to flat flight with 400' of power. Did get one in a left front headwind to 330'.

My earth grade helios is too unstable to have any use. It is very fast and has good glide but even with a very steep hyzer and lots of height I can't throw it more than 70% without it diving hard right (rhbh).

I see they (snap) are going to be releasing a helios+ disc that is supposed to be more stable. I will be willing to give it a chance cause if the disc was more stable it would probably go a long way.

roadkill said:
My earth grade helios is too unstable to have any use. It is very fast and has good glide but even with a very steep hyzer and lots of height I can't throw it more than 70% without it diving hard right (rhbh).

I see they (snap) are going to be releasing a helios+ disc that is supposed to be more stable. I will be willing to give it a chance cause if the disc was more stable it would probably go a long way.

The same way for me when new and untuned. Not too different from Monarch and Latitude64 Vision. If you can't find use for your Helios EGR I can't recommend enough tuning the leading edge up about halfway between original and straight. If your disc has as much edge down from flat. To me it seemed to make the disc fly even faster. And immensely more high speed stable. Now it is a usable disc. With relative ease. Meaning fairly easy to throw for those who haven't got too many nose angle issues and OAT. Some snap (funnneeee comapny name) helps too :)

It's official I do like this disc!!! A lot. Right rear wind not that hard halfway straight then flipped about 4 degrees anny and faded back to drop on the original line at 425' and change(130 m) flat land for my personal flat land record. A 159 EGR. Tuned to somewhat more stable than new but I can't say if mine was misshaped in transit. My heavier gummy Helios is similar in shape. Quite a bit of droop down on the edge of the disc originally.

A tuned to less stable SRP 169 RI went 6' shorter and a 150 DX Destroyer to 3' shorter both with a golf line s-curving. ESP poppy top Red 169 Flash almost new took more of a max D anny although not quite to go 12' shorter. This was the first day I really rose above the 380-390' plateau and not all the throws had wind. Figured out a better way to use my legs and torso muscles. Was too stiff before. Quite effortless throwing these days going to better distances :) Despite lower temps and a jacket on. Happy camper about technique discovery, added D and how the discs, including Helios, performed.

poisonelf said:
I was wondering if anyone could compare a max weight Star Wraith and a FGR Helios. Thanks in Advanced
helios will be a bit faster and glidier but way less stable,more of a backwind or no wind driver than a wraith

I ordered 150 and 173 FGR Helii and threw them a couple of times at a soccer field with faux lawn that has plastic strands and in between those fairly large sand particles. Perhaps half a millimeter in diameter. The 150 flips too easily for me on low drives even with 15 degrees of initial hyzer on almost full power and trying to concentrate on snapping more with reduced arm speed in the pull. It landed on a 10 degree anny on the second throw and the edge was ground hard by the sand. Not even DX does this.

There were smaller markings in the 173. Both are much shinier than my EGRs and feel a bit firmer which should help in preventing tacoing if they hit trees. Abrasion resistance just isn't there. My EGRs haven't gotten similar damage despite being throw and sometimes landing similarly on dozens of throws. What gives?

Are the FGRs marked somehow because these supposedly FGRs don't have any markings about the plastic variety. I think I got FGRs but would like to be certain that there aren't differing EGRs around. The reason I ask is because the order had another problem too. I received Renny Gold DVD covers but not the disc itself :-( As if that wasn't bad enough because I had ordered the DVD in an earlier batch and the DVD showed up on the net but not in the warehouse. What does a guy need to do to get this DVD? Argh!

Luckily the rest of the shipment was money in mids and putters. MONEY I tell you!!! :-D A Classic Roc, two XDs at different weights, E Magic x-out, too much with flashing fading (for max distance in calm weather) Q Sent 160 that's about to lose the flashing ;-) and a SS 166 Wiz. That's stiffer than my trashed medium glow 173. And so beautifully HSS with less than full weight Wiz LSS that's just so nice to rip with. With appropriate initial hyzer this baby's straight!!! And long with no fear of flipping over unless wanted and executed with less hyzer in the release. Control to the max. Muahahhhaaaa!!! Carving up tunnels...