• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

snap helios

I think I answered my own question about the plastic my Helii are in today. I managed a low throw that hit the 50 meter sign at a local driving field at high speed. No trouble to be seen on the 173 FGR Helios. I sincerely hope the abrasion damage looking nastiness on my 150 FGR was actually hitting something other than dirt although I didn't notice anything that could've done it.

I sure hope the abrasion markings are a fluke and won't be a bother on the 173 that's still PDGA legal. The 150 might be after sanding. It's just not that useful as a driver. Without tuning :-D That'll happen because at this point it's too flippy for me to be really useful even for open field max D practice. If the difference is as large as it was with EGR 159, look out!!!

It's still early days but after more usage no more damage has occurred to my 150 FGR so it looks like it's a solid plastic for field work with some 70' stalls thrown into 22 MPH average headwinds today with a lot more in gusts.

Some throws on my rocky home course too and so far no direct rock landings nor high speed crashes so the jury's still out but it seems like this plastic doesn't need babying and can be used even on rugged courses. Hope experience doesn't prove me wrong on that one.

Abused my new FGR Helios yesterday in heavy woods, and occasional gravel landings. Durability just short of Millenium base stuff, easy to sand out after several hard hits on a temp course, nothing that needed fixing mid-game.

Never tried any headwinds, but as a max line drive/low ceiling disc, it's a fair SOLS option for now. Holds a long, gentle anny until it's about done, then goes more left/dies quicker than you'd expect from the initial glide.