• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

Booter said:
lol the vulcan,archon and teedevil all have less glide than destroyers, wtf JR
Yep. The only discs that get me more consistent glide than the Pro Destroyer are Kings and the one Slayer I've got.

Between all the aerodynamic mumbo jumbo and JRs post, this thread makes my head hurt.

Anybody actually throwing these things?

To put it nicely, I quite disagree with you JR, at least on the archon which I have thrown. The vulcan and teedevil I have steered away from.

Working Stiff said:
Between all the aerodynamic mumbo jumbo and JRs post, this thread makes my head hurt.

Anybody actually throwing these things?

VR but he's dead or something and won't post in this thread. Someone make a complimentary post towards the PDGA in here. That should get him in here.

There is a thread about these on that "other" site where there are some throwing reviews, if you want to pick through 10+ pages of "150 class is for women and children". I am excited to try some of these out though I doubt I'll see many around my area.

About half way down the page I think is the first post in the whole thread from someone who actually tossed one. A few more here and there after that I think.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50562&highlight=blizzard+champion&page=13

i threw a friend boss the other day. i want to say we scaled it at 141 (may be wrong). it flew like the rpro bosses when they are brand new just a bit less glide and more fade but just a touch. we had a new 155 rpro boss to compare it to. so a average champ to pro comparison.

If someone gets their hand on a Blizzard Boss, could you check the bottom for tooling? The R-Pros don't have a patent number, normal Champ and Star Bosses do. Just wondering what mold they're using for the Blizzard.

well it looks like these f2's which sound pretty rough are already over 20$ on ebay. I would love to know when these go into regular production and how much bubbles will cost us... lol

What the hell? Have i again gotten a batch of "those guys throw faaaaar, lets sell the shop in town for the big arms very overstable x outs" (Helsinki Finland and the neighboring towns have one of the largest populations of 1000 rated players anywhere and i think one of the highest 1000 rated player counts per capita)? Like my non flipping at 420' power with other discs Quasar. I mean shit my broken in Destro is a great glider that is overdone mostly by the discs i've mentioned and none other. Except perhaps the Teedevil that i've not thrown. The Slayer i tried was not as gildey as the destroyer, but only a hair behind.

Or is it that the local shop asks for beefy examples of the discs? Dunno. I have had three Pro Destroyers from the FR to one bought last year and they all were the same in having a great but lesser glide than the ones i've had examples of. Of course there is a chance, that the other comparison discs were glidier than normal too. Can't tell from just the few examples of each i've thrown. I would not wonder if both situations were correct and each commentators were spot on in their observations. After witnessing so crazy different flights from discs made in the same mold. And i mean crazier than the imagination of a sane person without experience of such beyond imagination variations would have you believe.

BTW. even 167 Pro Katana glides better than 168 Pro Destro for me. You have to account for differences between individual discs and i sure can't disprove the observations of the others without throwing their discs. I can only tell about the discs i've tried.

Have you ever considered that maybe you just suck and that's why your discs usually fly wildly different than everyone else's?

Sure i have thrown sucky throws and at times still do. The thing is that most of the time when i make an error in the throw i can pinpoint it. I have tried to learn that skill to be able to concentrate on not repeating the same error on the same day. What is certain is that other people than me have thrown my discs that deviate from the norm an deviate in the same way and the same amount from me. So i know that there are discs that differ from the majority. Oh and i have plenty of discs that fly the same as the ones of most reviewers here.

I wonder if we have a terminology issue here with type 1 and 2 overstability fade and low hss etc. muddying up the issue. Once the broken in Destros of mine slow down they drop faster than the othr discs i mentioned. And my spin ain't enough to make any of these land flat from enough height to go the farthest for me. And once the Destro exits flat flight (late but so do some of the competition) the Destro drops faster than the others.

Finally got out for a throwing session (albeit relatively brief) with these Blizzard discs. Observations:
150g Blizzard Katana: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. Curiously, much more overstable than any other Katana I have thrown. Very turn resistant, even when thrown 100%. Predictable, but small, low-sped fade. Not as glidey as other Katanas I have thrown. Me no likey.
150g Blizzard TeeDevil: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. Nothing to which to apple-to-apple compare, because this is the first TeeDevil of any flavor or weight that I have thrown. That said, it reminded me somewhat of a 150g Pro Vulcan, but with more low speed stability. At typical driving power, it turned just a wee bit, followed by relatively massive fade as soon as things slowed down. It really shone for full-power high pure hyzers, and, after further testing, I would consider replacing the R-Pro Boss in my bag with this disc for those types of shots, as it seems to be longer & less squirrelly.
150g Blizzard Boss: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. Very similar to new 150g R-Pro Boss in flight. Strangely, less low-speed stable than the Blizzard Katana, providing a pronounced turn. Consistent fade. Like any Boss (in my experience), this is very sensitive to release angle, with the difference between a "turn all the way to the ground" angle, a "baby S-curve straight" angle, and a "dammit it didn't flip up hyzer" angle being very slight. As the R-Pro Boss quickly beats to a more usable disc (and the TeeDevil may replace it anyway), this will not be seeing the bag full-time.
150g Blizzard Wraith: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. The gem of the bunch - the best Wraith I have ever thrown. Very neutral flight & glidey as all get out, like a MUCH longer Viking for me. Beats the crap out of 150g DX or Augusta Wraiths. Got my longest throws of the day with this beauty, including airmailing a hole that I rarely reach with a 75% control snap that I didn't even get perfectly. This one will almost certainly go in the bag for long, straight distance crushes.

When my 150g Blizzard Destroyer arrives, I will post my thoughts on it, as well.

I didn't know (and am not sure I accept as gospel) that Innova used two different molds for R-Pro Bosses & "other" Bosses. All I have ever thrown until this weekend was R-Pro. The Blizzard & the R-Pro seem identical, and the "www" tooling is the same save for the Blizzard lacking the patent #.

Not sure how different they actually are, but they've used different core pieces. R-Pros should have "Innova Champion Discs, Inc. Rancho Cucamonga Ca. USA 91730" and "www.innovadiscs.com", other Bosses should have a "Innova Champion Discs, Inc. www.innovadiscs.com" and "Patent no. 4,568,297". Is yours like either of these or have they changed everything again?

My dozen or so throwing R-Pro Bosses (Japan Open first run) all have "INNOVA CHAMPION DISCS, INC. WWW.INNOVADISCS.COM" on one side & "PATENT NO. 4,568,297" on the other. The Blizzard Champion Bosses have "INNOVA CHAMPION DISCS, INC. WWW.INNOVADISCS.COM" on one side & nothing on the other.

I also have 6 second run Japan Open R-Pro Bosses that have "INNOVA CHAMPION DISCS, INC. RANCHO CUCAMONGA CA. USA 91730" ON ONE SIDE & "WWW.INNOVADISCS.COM" on the other. I have never thrown any of these, so I cannot comment on their flight characteristics.