• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

The Bliz 150 Katana flight for Ray is very interesting because Star Katanas are flat and very overstable. Pro and normal production Katanas aren't that hot. So the dome height on Katanas is very contradictory. That is why i assume PLH variations between that Bliz and flat Star Katanas. I haven't seen Blizzard discs personally.

The Wraith sounds interesting and i'll probably pull the trigger on that one because i wanted to see if i could beat a pro Wraith 166 into a faster longer Beast. But the bugger won't break in!!! I've also wanted to see how a lighter Wraith in durable plastic would fly. So far only DX has been light and it breaks in too fast and to too understable. My interests may have been answered but i won't know until i get one and dare to throw again.

veganray said:
Finally got out for a throwing session (albeit relatively brief) with these Blizzard discs. Observations:
150g Blizzard Katana: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. Curiously, much more overstable than any other Katana I have thrown. Very turn resistant, even when thrown 100%. Predictable, but small, low-sped fade. Not as glidey as other Katanas I have thrown. Me no likey.
150g Blizzard TeeDevil: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. Nothing to which to apple-to-apple compare, because this is the first TeeDevil of any flavor or weight that I have thrown. That said, it reminded me somewhat of a 150g Pro Vulcan, but with more low speed stability. At typical driving power, it turned just a wee bit, followed by relatively massive fade as soon as things slowed down. It really shone for full-power high pure hyzers, and, after further testing, I would consider replacing the R-Pro Boss in my bag with this disc for those types of shots, as it seems to be longer & less squirrelly.
150g Blizzard Boss: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. Very similar to new 150g R-Pro Boss in flight. Strangely, less low-speed stable than the Blizzard Katana, providing a pronounced turn. Consistent fade. Like any Boss (in my experience), this is very sensitive to release angle, with the difference between a "turn all the way to the ground" angle, a "baby S-curve straight" angle, and a "dammit it didn't flip up hyzer" angle being very slight. As the R-Pro Boss quickly beats to a more usable disc (and the TeeDevil may replace it anyway), this will not be seeing the bag full-time.
150g Blizzard Wraith: Very domey & stiffer than I have come to expect with 150-class Champion plastic. The gem of the bunch - the best Wraith I have ever thrown. Very neutral flight & glidey as all get out, like a MUCH longer Viking for me. Beats the crap out of 150g DX or Augusta Wraiths. Got my longest throws of the day with this beauty, including airmailing a hole that I rarely reach with a 75% control snap that I didn't even get perfectly. This one will almost certainly go in the bag for long, straight distance crushes.

When my 150g Blizzard Destroyer arrives, I will post my thoughts on it, as well.

FINALLY.....a thrower review. cant wait to hear about the destroyer. and now the ape will be coming out..... another disc to wonder about in lightweight plastic.
veg, im guessing the altitude your throwing at is about 1200 ft?

got a pair of blizzard champ destroyers in a players pack this weekend... VR's right, DOMEY and STIFF. haven't thrown them, not sure if i want to might just trade them. they're.... interesting.

I haven't been this excited about new disc tech in a long while and that goes for individual discs. I'm gonna test out light Wraiths and Bosses once they become available to stores. And when i can start throwing safely again. Which is an unknown time yet to be determined.

Someone on the dgcr thread said these were going production in January but I can't find any info to back that up. Anyone know anything about that? If anyone ended up with one (or more) they would like to trade off hit me up.

Threw a 150 Blizzard champ boss over the wknd.....BOOM. I don't think I would put one in the bag, but it was sure fun as hell to throw it with a tail wind. They are going to be a much better disc than a two throw and done R-Pro version. with a mild tail wind they were jumping up from a small hyzer and carrying a long way with a s turn. Into the wind they were no good, but you really can't expect too much from a disc that light into a headwind. Discs were pink x-outs....kinda domey and a bit stiff they all had a little bit of a texture to the rim.

I also chucked the 150 teedevil too and we just didnt get along. very flippy at high speed and overstable at low speed, It required a lot of hyzer to not just roll over and with a lot of hyzer it would fade very hard at the end of the flight.....harder than the boss. It just didn't feel like any of the other teedevils or destrulcans I've tossed.

Based on veganray's review, I ordered up a Wraith (140g) and Katana (150g) from Hero Discs (killer stamps). I'm very much looking forward to throwing these, and they might also be a good fit as FH discs for ladies.

veganray noted that the Katana had less glide than usual, which seems strange for a 150g disc with more dome. I'm thinking that the Katana's glide will probably increase with wear, and sounds like an ideal downwind max D disc.

One reason it might seem like it has less glide is that lighter discs slow down faster, as do discs with bigger domes (like the domey C-MD2's, those just fall out of the sky), and when you combine both they might just drop drown pretty quickly.

I have one of those, pretty understable that one. On the flipside it requires almost no power at all to throw pretty far.

i think people are actually able to get Blizzards up to proper speed to achieve the "intended" flight patterns of the 175g or heavier discs.

dumb comment: "this doesn't fly like my boss, it has too much turn. my boss is a meat hook."
REALITY: your getting the light weight boss up to the proper speed and are getting a proper representation of how a boss flies.
REALITY: top pro's or great big D guys can throw a heavy boss and it will turn or they can even turn it too much.

summary: if your Blizzard is flippy and you are getting different flight patterns than you are used to it probably due to 1) dirty form 2) you are throwing the proper weight for that particular disc.

top pro players throw max weight destroyer's, wraith's, teebird's, etc., but they are probably throwing them with much more hyzer than an "average" player. i've witnessed a 550ft+ pro have no problems throwing Blizzards after 2 throws. yes, in the hands of a powerful player they will likely have more turn, but it is because they are accelerating them far beyond what is thought of as "normal".

if you can get a boss up to proper speed to achieve the intended flight then the Blizzards will only make hitting the same distances easier and with less effort. less effort=greater accuracy in my mind. i'm also making the assumption that if a player can get a boss up to the proper speed, he/she is good enough to make small hyzer adjustments to counter act the increase in high speed turn.

/theory

Could be, or could be PLH variation also. If your normal Boss is a meathook and the Blizzard is very flippy, I want to see a PLH comparison before commenting.

got mine today. huge dome, almost silly. feels weird in the hand. looking forward to seeing how they fly. they all seem the same except for the rim width.

OK, here are some photos:

New Glow Champion CFR Katana (175 g) vs. Blizzard Katana (150 g)...

DSC_0769.jpg

Beat Pro Wraith (171 g) vs. Blizzard Wraith (140 g)...

DSC_0770.jpg

Note that this particular Blizzard Katana is not super domey, however, the Wraith has a huge bubble dome. I checked my Wraith collection, and I couldn't find any that had a bubble dome like this blizzard Wraith, all of them have a flat region in the center half of the disc top, with gentle shoulders.

This Blizzard Katana has a slightly lower PLH than the Champ Glow, but the Wraiths have a similar PLH. The curvature under the nose of the Wraith seems to be almost inverted at the bottom...seems strange.

I'm going to go throw them right now, and see how they fly. Will post the results here later.

Fun coincidence...a good friend had also ordered some of these, also from Hero Discs with the cool stamps, also got them in the mail yesterday, and also had the urge to throw...I ran into him at hole 1. He had the Wraith, Katana, Teedevil, Destroyer, and Boss, with weights from 150-154g. My Katana and Wraith were the same color as his Katana and Wraith. In any case, I got to try them all.

My over all impression: Very nice! I was concentrating on making ultra-clean throws, I didn't ever grip it and rip it (need to go to a field). I had no problems getting any of these to 350' with very little effort. My buddy had some of his longest ever throws with the Wraith. The Boss and Destroyer both flew very over-stable, just like you'd expect these to fly when new in Champion plastic. The Teedevil flew straight at high speed, but became highly LSS as it slowed down (as much as the Boss and Destroyer). The Wraith and Katana were both very straight, the Wraith had a nice tight fade at the end of the flight, reliably coming back each time. Big skips from the Katana, but a gentle fade. The biggest advantage I noticed is the ability to get these discs very high in the air with very little effort. Good for steep uphill, or going over tree lines.

I will be very curious to see how these discs beat in over time. That will really show whether they share the advantage of Champion plastic.

Jhern did the Destros and Bosses fly farther than max weight ones and did the LSS kick in at the same distance or the same percentage of total flight distance?

In other plastics Katanas need a lot of dome so blizzard does it good. I have a different kind of super domed champ Wraith that is a hog. But there's no bubble and its domey closer to the outside edge and the increase in dome height toward the center is more gradual. I have no idea how that blizzard Wraith would behave so it's wait and see but i'm not too confident about it after seeing the pic. I think it can help with the HSS not flipping as easily as 150 DX Wraith. But that may be it. Not so good for winds with less than full glide addition with the dome covering only a portion of the flight plate. Wait and see is my attitude toward this.

As an idea a light durable Wraith sounds good but the execution has so many ifs and buts that i need to hear more detailed descriptions to form an idea about the need to test that disc. Katana sounded more interesting than the heavier brethren so the interest in this disc went up :-D At least half a victory for me because those two were the most interesting ones to me and Boss could be ok if it behaves and is longer than regular ones:-D Although i have three Legacy drivers enroute so there's competition in the long distance land with Kings and Nukes occupying the role now. If the Boss strikes back i'm more than happy to put it to the bag. One of the reasons i picked the Nuke over the Boss for general use at long distances was that in the winds the flight differences vs calm weather were a lot smaller with the Nukes. So i'm wary about lighter Bosses. They may not add wind neutrality vs max weight Bosses...

Latest posts