• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

JHern said:
x-out said:
JHern said:
swel304 said:
So...the production run will not have bubbles in the flight plate...

Yeah, flight plate bubbles=blems. Now we know why they called these first ones blems, which had been puzzling to me.

If all the bubbles are in the rim, and none in the flight plate, then the relative moment of inertia of the disc (i.e., the value normalized/divided by mass and radius squared) will be less than a solid disc, and they will probably turn more than the blems.

lol at the speculation.

flight plate bubbles are going to be part of the production run. they were not the reason for considering them factory seconds.

the newer type mentioned on PDGA are just a modified version that will eventually make its way into production.

Speculation? Read Dave Dunipace's response...

Dave Dunipace said:
...The molding has evolved into, what I think is an acceptable and marketable product that does not have bubbles in the flight plate, just the rim. We started with bubbles everywhere, but that often produced unacceptable visual results...

i can see how you interpreted the DD post, but i still stand by my post.

i'll bump the thread again when the 1st run comes out with bubbles in the flight plate :)

/of input....back to lurking

finally got out to toss these things this morning and they are more or less what I expected (or as much as you can tell with 15-25mph wind). The wraith didn't seem nearly as flippy as I expected and actually wasn't totally useless into a headwind. I have almost zero experience with a katana but in a tailwind I was getting it out to my normal max D without much problem. Into the headwind I tossed three of the longest rollers I have ever thrown with the katana, but I wasn't really trying to throw rollers.. lol. Overall I was tossing them both just a little further than my normal drivers but I need some field time with less wind to say for sure. I am pretty sure the wraith is going into the bag.

Been throwing a 153g Blizzard Destroyer

That thing is super fun to throw. It can take some crazy nose down anhyzer and still has super late fade. Great for distance

Kinda wishing for a Blizzard Quasar

I bought a 126g Katana off ebay because I, a) wanted to try out blizzards, and b) wanted a floater for 2 disc devouring water holes on my local course. I just got it today and after a couple rounds I like it. This ones not as domey as some of the blizzards I've seen so far. My max D is around 350ish and this disc has no problem hitting that. Once I got the feel of the weight, or lack there of, I was lovin the way this thing threw. It has almost the same flight pattern as my 172g Katana with just a little more turn but I don't have to throw it as hard to get the D. A 5-10mph crosswind did push it around quite a bit though. I'm gonna go chuck it some more tomorrow but so far I'm really considering the others in the upper 140's lower 150's weights.

blizzard productions are out.

dtworld has them
life disc sports
and a few others

courtesy of bongy

420343_270346589702530_100001815728482_667355_913062177_n.jpg

Booter said:
blizzard productions are out.

dtworld has them
life disc sports
and a few others

courtesy of bongy

420343_270346589702530_100001815728482_667355_913062177_n.jpg

Sure looks like no bubbles in the flight plate so I guess bubbles in the plate = blem. Interested to hear about these. Really enjoying the katana and the wraith (before I lost it).

Edit: well maybe not. The orange definitely has bubbles. Others seem to not. Off to find better pictures.

Picked up a 148 Katana. The bubbles were mostly in the flight plate. I passed on the ones with no bubbles in the plate, thinking that perhaps the increased amount of bubbles in the rim would lead to less gyroscopic force...but really the bubbles in the plate just look cooler.

Excited to see how this flies! I'll probably grab a Wraith next.

I'm curious to see if the ones with more air in the rim are much different in flight and durability than ones with more air in the plate...anyone know?

Jussi Meresmaa wrote at DM's FB page that he could not flip a 155g Destroyer and his best golf drives were 150-160m :eek:

I believe it. The 154g Blizzard Destroyer I tried throwing a few weeks ago was definitely more HSS than my new 175g Echo Star poppy top Destroyer. Flew awesome.

I read that too, but that was for discs that didn't seem to have any bubbles showing. This one had the entire flight plate and rim covered in tiny bubbles. Also my 150g blizzard Destroyer scales in exactly at 150. Also tons of bubbles in the flight plate.

Having thrown ultralights and all weight ranges for years i already knew that light discs do change the game once durable fast discs come out. Because non durable ones did it already. And now they are financially and ecologically viable. It changes how holes are tackled. I fear that many courses will suffer from reducing golf type course management and turn more to distance driver mash then the putt deuce fest. Or at least having 12+ birdie puttable par 3s. With no other thinking part as to which gap to aim for and then smash a 100 % shot to beyond control distances for the birdie putt because the long arms will get there with control and are more often than not in good percentage putting range. OTOH more athletic requirement may be a good thing too. I wouldn't say it differentiates us from golfers any more because top golfers are becoming increasingly more athletic too.

I should have some video this next week of me throwing blizzard stuff.

filmed some today but the light dropped too fast to get a good view of the flight.

the destroyers definitely smash. They were going over 500ft for me

also in terms of stability they ranked like this(most to least): Destroyer, Boss, Wraith, Katana. The wraith and katana have about the same stability. I put the Boss in the start of the Disc Nation parking lot from about 525-550ft out.

It's surprising that the Destro is more OS than the Boss. It's been said that the Destro is more OS than regular heavies but how close is the HSS and LSS of the blizzard light Boss vs a regular heavy?

zj1002 said:
also in terms of stability they ranked like this(most to least): Destroyer, Boss, Wraith, Katana. The wraith and katana have about the same stability. I put the Boss in the start of the Disc Nation parking lot from about 525-550ft out.

*whistles long and slow*

that's no joke right there.

the stability of the boss and destroyer were very close.

I was only throwing 1 of each and didn't have multiple weights of each disc with which to compare.

I was also throwing the super domey ones with bubbles in the flight plate. The stock stamps had blizzards of all types. Some with bubbles only in rim, some with bubbles everywhere, some with large bubbles, some with lots of micro bubbles, and even a large amount of Katanas that had NO bubbles.

The flat ones generally only had bubbles in the rim. This process still seems to be under development. We definitely got discs of each model with different sizes and quantities of bubbles. kind of a shame there wont be any sense of uniformity with these discs.

zj1002 said:
the stability of the boss and destroyer were very close.

I was only throwing 1 of each and didn't have multiple weights of each disc with which to compare.

I was also throwing the super domey ones with bubbles in the flight plate. The stock stamps had blizzards of all types. Some with bubbles only in rim, some with bubbles everywhere, some with large bubbles, some with lots of micro bubbles, and even a large amount of Katanas that had NO bubbles.

The flat ones generally only had bubbles in the rim. This process still seems to be under development. We definitely got discs of each model with different sizes and quantities of bubbles. kind of a shame there wont be any sense of uniformity with these discs.

What weights were you tossing?

Latest posts