• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Snow in Rancho Cucamonga? (Innova Blizzard Technology)

I got to throw my 152 Blizzard Boss today. I compared it to a seasoned 162 1.2 QOLF and a seasoned 170 Quasar. With a 20 mph tailwind the Quasar was the beefiest with the B-Boss being just a bit more stable than the QOLF. Throwing into that headwind the Quasar was still the beefiest but the QOLF was just a touch less stable than the Quasar but the B-Boss flipped some making if more understable than the others.

I can't wait for a 150 Blizzard Quasar to come out now! 8)

I tried my 133 Katana, Wraith and Destroyer today. For me they were a dissapointment. The Katana was virtually impossible from turning into a BH roller. The wraith had some nice moments when thrown at significant hyzer and lower lines. The destroyer was really interesting. It would flip up fast, turn over, and finish with a ton of low speed fade. I just donated them to a random guy in hopes he has better luck. I did notice that most of you have been messing around with the 150g weights. I am going to get a 150g wraith and see if that works any better for me. I just figured I would start at the baseline and work my way up. Winds were pretty light overall, and I was fairly sheltered in the fairways. My $.02.

I tried to resist, but seeing how they cost exactly the same as regular plastic (well, Star plastic price, but still), I just had to get a Boss and a Destroyer in the 130-139 range. I was really surprised by the pricing, seeing how they sell x-outs and factory seconds at higher prices (we don't really get those here so they're sort of "collectibles")... Eagerly awaiting their arrival.

I finally grabbed some of these to test out. Looking through all the stacks I observed much variability in all the Blizzard discs...Not only variation in where the bubbles were at, but other weird lines and marks that are usually seen on X-outs. On some of the discs the bubbles are at the surface creating a strange texture. So I was very picky when choosing a couple to try (buying these online has to be hard). I was looking for discs with bubbles in the flightplates. As far as removing weight from the disc, I'd rather give it up on the flightplate than the rim as the disc will be more gyroscopic.

I focused on Bosses and Destroyers because I'm not a fan of the Katana and the reviews of the Wraiths have not peaked my interest. I ended up grabbing a 138 Boss with a high PLH, a 154 Boss with a low PLH, and a 154 Destroyer (only one I could find without weird lines or bubbles at the surface).

I didn't get to throw them much, and wind conditions were less than ideal (5mph blowing across the field I was throwing in). I was really impressed by the Bosses...My first thought was that I'd never gotten a full weight Boss up to speed, because my god these things are fast. They seriously made the Destroyer look 2-3 steps slower. The 138 is super nice and slightly more stable than the 154, but they were fairly similar. At first I thought I'd actually have to baby these/give hyzer, but boy was I wrong. I was soon ripping them full power and they were taking it. The mild wind didn't seem to mess with them much. I was getting good D on similar lines as my heavy discs. Toward the end of my time I started throwing them high and turned and then I started really seeing increased distance. Unfortunately it was getting dark and I could not continue.

Overall I'm very impressed with these discs so far. This Blizzard process is far from perfected at this point, but it has some serious potential. I could see myself using these Bosses on the course in certain situations for max D. Kudos Innova, this is the most significant innovation you've brought to the table in some time.

Speaking as someone with a weaker arm, I can say my 148 Katana is a keeper. It reaches my average distance (325' with my E* Wraith) much easier and im able to get it 30' to what seems 50' further if I really give it all I have. Uphill and downwind, I'm throwing it flat and watching it turn over slightly with a dependable fade. In no wind, a little hyzer let's it take a low line unbelievably well. If I give it some height on a flat throw (no wind), it turns over for a wide flight and even more distance.

For reference, it has a lot of uniform bubbles in the flight plate and is pretty domey compared to others in the batch I checked out. Spinthrift actually picked it out for me.

It's a keeper...I'm out-throwing my 167 Star Roadrunner on hyzer lines and tailwinds, my 169 E* Wraith on stable lines (more hyzer), and it even does a mean in-flip for overstable lines (but those are more for fun).

I opted to try the Katana first because I figured it would be a killer max D driver, even though I dont throw them normally. My other fast drivers are Wraiths, but I'm hesitant to pick up a Blizzard Wraith because I don't know what role it would fill.

PS - anyone else think it would be great to see a less-domey Blizzard production...I'm thinking it would be sweet to get some slower, overstable molds like PD's, Firebirds (if they could run them flat), and the like.

My buddy let me throw his pink 141 wraith and two blue 135 destroyers. His 141 wraith was worthless for me. I bag a newish glow 175 wraith that handles overstable distance driver duty, moderate headwinds, flex shots 380-400' that must fade, and mainly low line flat forehands out to 340'. His 141 wraith flipped up, over, and burned on the 8 or so throws I had with it. I finally gave it 60' height on a high turnover anny line, which it did turnover way left to right, but had no fade to speak of and crashed into the ground early IMO due to the lack of fade.

The destroyers were fairly over stable and didn't pop-up like I was expecting after throwing the blizzard wraith. I had one 380' high long distance line flex shot that felt pretty good but another friend that usually tops out around 330-340' with a wraith was consistantly hitting 360' after only a few throws. I like discs that turnover so perhaps a slighly heavier boss might work for me. It was cool throwing hard and not killing my arm/elbow but blizzard being so light weight would take some getting used to feel the release angles so thats why I'm think heavier than 135.

Frank Delicious said:
one last thing, if you have a clean flick, you can flick the shit out of these. If you don't have a clean flick, you will be throwing a lot of forehand rollers.

Hell yeah flick. I usually flick a S-PD for control distance and power up a Firebird for big fade with a skip but the easy to contorl when sidearmed destroyer has me thinking I need to add a spot in my bag.

Today I had a chance to throw my 156 Boss with a decent tailwind. I really got a good rip on it, high and turning pretty hard. It did a full helix and hit the middle of the road 100' past the 390' basket I was aiming at. For reference, I don't ever throw that far. Lately I haven't been concentrating on distance at all and on the course I've only been eeking out a little over 400' with my 175 Sword. JohnE McCray had just been showing off and throwing into the road and then I just stepped up and matched him with my lightweight bubble disc. That was about my 10th time throwing that disc and I don't know how repeatable that will be, but when a disc is adding 50' or so to my normal D drives it tends to get my attention.

These things are starting to sound like the shit to have in your bag for max distance. Gotta get to choose couple good destros at some point.

turso said:
These things are starting to sound like the shit to have in your bag for max distance. Gotta get to choose couple good destros at some point.

The Destroyer I have sucks compared to the Bosses...At least as pure max D is concerned.

Hmm, gotta get a boss then. Are the destros too LSS or what seems to be the deal with them? I wonder if you could beat that out of them as it works with max weights.

Frank Delicious said:
The sub 140 bosses are really the best pure max D ones of the lot.

Seeing all the variation I really think it's disc to disc...I have a 138 Boss, but it's too overstable for max D. Compared to my 156 Boss the parting line is at least a few mm higher.

turso said:
Hmm, gotta get a boss then. Are the destros too LSS or what seems to be the deal with them? I wonder if you could beat that out of them as it works with max weights.

They just seem a lot slower. My 138 Boss is about the same stability as the Destroyer and flies on similar lines, but it is always 20' longer. My 156 Boss is longer than either.

discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:

Seeing all the variation I really think it's disc to disc...I have a 138 Boss, but it's too overstable for max D. Compared to my 156 Boss the parting line is at least a few mm higher.

You're probably right. I got to throw a decent amount of these this weekend from other people who picked them up from the tourney (so they were all from the same batch) and all the sub 140 bosses were the biggest bombers, the 150 bosses and destroyers were all too LSS for pure max D.

Also the katanas and wraiths sucked.

Frank Delicious said:
discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:

You're probably right. I got to throw a decent amount of these this weekend from other people who picked them up from the tourney (so they were all from the same batch) and all the sub 140 bosses were the biggest bombers, the 150 bosses and destroyers were all too LSS for pure max D.

Also the katanas and wraiths sucked.

The Boss I got (kind of Merlot colored) had the lowest PLH of any of the Blizzard or F2 Bosses we had. The owner of CDGS also said he tested a bunch and there were awesome ones and lemons in each mold. My 138 Boss bombs if I release it with a decent amount of anhyzer...It's easier to keep it over than the 154 Destroyer, but the Merlot one is still best because it actually has some high speed turn.

154-155 destrouyers and bosses were identical for me. both in the 500-550ft range(when I connected, what you think that shits on command?)

when I hit it right these had enough stability to hook up. If I hyzer flipped the lights over they didn't come back in time to get more distance

zj1002 said:
If I hyzer flipped the lights over they didn't come back in time to get more distance

Did you try throwing them ridiculously high? If not, please do and let me know what happens. My longest throw lifted higher than I ever usually try and throw.

Latest posts