• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, how did you play today? Part II

Yesterday's was garbage as usual. Time to start playing goofy frolf rounds with discs for anything BUT frolf, I guess. Long as I don't sail the Double Disc Court disc out of the park completely like last time :doh:

Today was my best and most and most enjoyable in bout 3 years. I tied my best round at my home course, after taking 2 years off due to injury. Met some good people on the course and smiled alot.

Played a nice early morning doubles round with my brother and 4 other guys at Jordan Creek Park in SE PA. The others finished at +1 and we were +7 and I wasn't pleased with my play (drives mostly). I did have a good putt to save our par on a very steep uphill hole, though. Very fun round at one of the more challenging 18-holers in the area.

Didn't get out for a real round, but played some "tiki" golf in the backyard with my boys. I have three baskets out back with the longest hole just over 150'. Only thing making it qualify as "tiki" are the distances and the odds that I'll have a beverage in hand while playing. No windmills or clown's mouth (yet).

I'll often use those tiki rounds to slow it down and focus on form. With the distances I've got, anything else is going over the fence anyway. This weekend I was focused on two swing thoughts: don't hug yourself and keep a loose arm. Was throwing some nice controlled anhyzers and a few rollers for fun. Hit metal on a blind hyzer coming back towards the house. Need to find that same feeling on full power throws.

I don't do a ton of coaching with the boys unless they ask for help or mention that they'd like to improve something. Did have the chance to show my little guy that a lower starting point for the swing (top of the backswing) leads to a higher trajectory. Fixed his wormburners and now he knows what to adjust to throw lower or higher lines.

I think my lifetime above 900 rating is in serious jeopardy after yesterday. The story: my son made a good friend at junior worlds a few weeks ago who coincidentally only lives an hour away. They invited us to their Sunday night league, which I understood incorrectly that we were being allowed to tag along and just play casually while they played for their sanctioned points. The TD was super nice (somebody ever-present here as well, nice to finally meet him in person!). As we're walking to our tee, I'm asked what my PDGA number is for live scoring.

"WE'RE sanctioned in this too?"

I had a short moment to decide whether or not to proceed. I certainly didn't want to make any sort of scene, plus the extra rated round would more than likely be a good thing for my son, who had played a little below his rating at worlds and an Eagles Wings round the day before as well.

My plan up to this point for the rest of 2022 was to not play another sanctioned round for the year so I could say that I remained 900 or above for my entire career until turning 50 next year, then I told myself I no longer cared. It's evident that my body and play (especially from the tee) has been spiraling down the drain the last few months.

I took a deep breath (did I mention I was playing this course for the first time, blind?), decided the best course of action was to say, "**** it!" and go ahead and play. I felt gracious to our hosts for inviting us and letting us play too, so it felt like the right thing to do. Gulp.

I hit a 28 or 30-footer on the first hole we played for a nice deuce. Felt great...Hey, maybe I'll actually shoot above my 913 rating today and this will be a good thing!

As play went along, I was at even par for like half the course, and I remember a 54 being 904 rated here when I took a peek before departing. My son and his friend were crushing as 12 and 13-year-olds, by the way.

Then we got to our 9th and 10th holes, which were #18 and #1 on the course.

I don't have 300 feet of distance anymore unless it's my best two or three pulls of the whole week. Hole #18 was over 550' with a low ceiling and O.B. concerns. A pretty hole with big trees and some undulating topography. I took a five after contacting a tree on one of my shots. No big deal.

The next hole, however, disaster struck. It's another long one with a bunch of mature trees on the left and a wide-open O.B. parking lot on the right. I chose a Disc that would get me SOME distance after skipping off the pavement and into position for an easy up and down. The release was clean and one of my best, however, it was too wide and it would take every inch of the skip to come back in bounds. I got real nervous watching it. On its second bounce, it contacted something (I think a crack) and stopped two feet shy of coming back in bounds. I went O.B. maybe 100' down the fairway, so I marked my spot and sized up my next shot, going for 3.

I picked out my Felon knowing for damned sure it would come back and not go O.B. again, but this shot was terrible, an early weak release that smacked a catalpa tree, fell to the ground, and rolled back into the parking lot again. Disaster.

I marked again, threw the Felon with a little pissed-off energy, and nearly drained it, but it's too late by this point. I carded a six. I'd deuce a few of the upcoming easy woods holes but it wasn't enough, and I wound up shooting somewhere around the third worst sanctioned round of my life. My previous one, by the way, was far and away my worst round.

I will own this all myself, and I continue to believe I did the right thing agreeing to go ahead and play. My son did great, beating me by 3 and taking like 11th place out of the 40 or so there and getting his near 900-rated round. The hole I sixed, he nearly deucded, by the way, crushing a Destroyer past 400' and gaining a good skip. He had a chain-out near ace on a practice throw before the round on a 240' gap hole and got his usual oohs and ahhs from adults who haven't seen him throw.

Sometimes you win when you gamble. I didn't this time. And it's a little bit of a relief no longer having to worry about this 900 rating thing anymore. But...I've been 900 or better since 1998. I'm human and can't help being a little sad about witnessing my own physical abilities decline like this in real time right in front of my face. I never quite made it beyond Am-1 mediocrity in my heyday and I regret that too. Father time caught up with me. MA-50, here I come next year!

played some "tiki" golf in the backyard with my boys.

Goofing around with my son in the backyard is one of life's simple pleasures. The other day we had a left-handed throwing contest. We laughed our asses off several times. It's like being a brand-new player all over again!

Okay! Finally moving in the right direction. After one more round in that 950 range (a 951) last Friday, I decided at the last minute yesterday to get out and get a sanctioned round in last night. Main reason being - I figured if a touring pro was gonna show up, I should at least get out there and take my beating as one of the top local players. Glad I did, because pretty much the whole community showed up. We had a nice 21 person MPO field (not all MPO players, but usually we have a 10 man field of Int-Adv level guys playing up for the league). The pro that showed up was GT Hancock, who a few weeks ago set the course record at my home course - Ottawa Park - with a 1060 rated round over 21 holes.

He's a 1007 rated player, and I only shot a 993.... but he had an off day, and so myself and my buddy Mark got him. Mark got me by 2 shots as well. Was very cool to get 1st and 2nd with my pool shooting partner, even if it does make a few times in a row he's beaten me on that track.

Focused on my game - I was ecstatic to find a lot of my distance all of a sudden. I really focused on spinning up the disc and got a huge boost to my power that I'd been missing since I started playing again. And that isn't to say I necessarily noticed a boost to top end power - I didn't really have many opportunities to see that. But on virtually all types of lines, long and short, I was tending to to come up 20-30 short of the shots I was imagining in my head. Just a consistent failure to push the disc to where I thought it was going to go based on how the shot felt out of hand. I think the added focus on really spinning the disc, which I think really played a role by getting me to hold onto the disc all the way through to where I should be releasing versus an early release, fixed the problem entirely.

My forehand also came through big. I haven't done serious field work or putting since getting healthy, just busy, but I got out to my backyard for some 60 foot forehands and got a great feel out of some forehands where I felt like I was pushing "up" through where the rim/flight plate meet, so I tried it out with some drives when I was walking out to my hole - and just like the backhand, there was the power.

So it was an all around good day. Ready for my Friday sanctioned round, hopefully I can get out there this week and play more to the level I should versus the 950 level I've played that league at every week so far.

Played in first tourney in a couple years yesterday, a one round charity affair in 100F heat. Sons of St Patrick supporting local food bank. Raised maybe $5000 with most coming from business and corporate donations hit up by organizers.
Finished barely top half. Last on my card of 5 which was the hot card with Winner, second, fourth and eighth place finishers.
4 disc wonder with a dx grid aviar, dx pfn roc, star mako3 (the tourney disc) and a 1.2 Orion long fade. Known the course very well

Changed my drive grip and shot a -4 on an easy-par local course, which is 4 strokes better than my best. 33% birdies

Made the killer mistake of sprinting out the door, driving 30 minutes, and playing a sanctioned round right out of my car. 922! Worst rated performance since I got healthy. I believed I could slide into the right headspace for my putt, and didn't. We played a 20 hole layout, I was E through 9 and finished -5. Problem is - the first ten holes I played were just as easy as the last ten holes.

I went 8/12 from C1X, 3 of 4 misses coming on the front, with 1 C2 putt made a couple of holes from the end. The putting was a big mental thing.... I was actually very close numerous times from C2, and they felt comfy. But then I'd get to my 20' comebacks or bird putts and spent it trying too hard to do something with my body versus with my disc. Once I settled into just making-the-disc-do-something mentality everything got clean.

On a more pleasant note - I grabbed a $60 CTP on one of the late holes, giving me a better payout than any of the good rounds I've played this summer. And I did it by taking a very aggressive line once I saw the wind wreck a card mate's drive. I was playing well enough late that I was able to recognize that the aggressive tight line would be supported by the wind, and attacking a shot I didn't usually throw on that hole but knew well paid off.

Practiced a tourney layout for next weekend with a friend yesterday. Course was relatively empty for a sunny Sunday afternoon and we played a nice pace, counting first shots and trying some lines and discs here and there. It wasn't a competitive round at all (we each kept our own score, but not for the other), but I did get him by a stroke, which feels great since he is rated 70-75 points higher than me and probably shot pretty close to his rating.

Now I just need to wipe out those expectations when I play it for real. :)

Lately I'm consistently inconsistent.

Played a round where I wasn't on my game off the tee but my short game and putting was on point.

Played a round the next day and my tee shots were excellent but my short game and putting was a little off.

If I can just put everything together at the same time I could shoot a decent round.

First time out in 2 months; played surprisingly well for me after the layoff. Shot 75 (+21) which is right at my average for this course; the round included 4 pars which ties my best for this course. Had some trouble on some holes with 2 triples & 3 doubles, but I made a 30 foot bogey saving putt on #17 which is the longest putt I've ever made. Overall happy, enjoyed a quick, warm, & sweaty round on my home course.

Had a fun round. Used only my DX Leopard and my Envy. But the best part...took my two young grandsons out and they each had a 125/127 gram disc and played all 18 holes. We had loads of fun.

Poorly, but I'm good with it. I claimed the moral high ground. [emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk