• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Socks - not just something simple

Found some Seal Skins on ebay for cheap. $20 and I couldn't be happier. Wore them in a tourney last weekend where it poured through both rounds. I wore non waterproof boots and my feat were still dry at the end of the day. Pretty good if you ask me. We'll see how they hold up through the fall and winter.

I just can't understand how much you guys like Seal skinz etc. so much. I've never seen anybody use them in person here in Finland.

Do you really use Gore-Tex shoes + waterproof socks? Why?
Or do you use some non-waterproof shoes+sealskins? I can't see any point using those, if you have have gtx shoes, they are waterproof guaranteed or if you have non-gtx shoes, they just get wet and really cold and can't be any comfortable.

Just find good, fitting shoes with Gore-Tex and use good technical non-cotton socks. For example X-Socks, they have different socks for pretty much any given sport. Those are pretty steeply priced (atleast here) but they come with 2-year guarantee and all of mine are still good. Sky Run and Air Force One are my personal favorites for golf or running (+all of their skiing socks)

E: After reading this thread more carefully realized that JR had already hyped X Socks.. So you gotta believe they are good!

Even the good Salomon shoes with gore-tex start to leak after a while. It's just WAY better with the socks too. Or I go with the vented shoes in warmer weather with waterproof socks. The waterproof socks are really the only way my feet stay dry all day through two rounds in the rain.

Updating an old thread. I just used my Sealskinz in 38F weather and they were much better with wool sock underneath for a little more air space to help with sweating than they were in 18F higher temps without other socks. This time i used low top waterproof shoes which i can't do in these temps with regular socks. I'd catch a cold immediately. No such problem now. Because the shoe has padding in the soles and are grippier than my rubber boots with steel studs on the bottom i didn't lose grip for the first time in such moist and cold conditions. Too bad the shoes aren't used a lot and the left sole lower part has started to separate from the upper part. The temperature limit under which Sealskinz become beneficial probably changes from shoe to shoe and the liner sock or lack thereof and person to person. The colder it is the better the Sealskinz probably are.

In wet grass normal non water proof sneakers probably get a definite dead animal smell from just one round so it's your choice if you wanna wet the shoes thus shortening their life span even if you tolerate the smell. I haven't tried this yet so i can't tell if dirty water smell sticks to Sealskinz as well. And if it washes off.

domromer said:
I used to wear nothing but smartwools then I found socks called Darn tough socks. They are made in Vermont and I find them better than smartwools and they seem to last longer.

http://www.darntough.com/

Darn comfy, odor resistant and guaranteed for life, what more to ask for? I picked up a pair of these in wool on a whim and found myself buying a bunch more the next day. Bit of a necro post here but these have been a very pleasant surprise find for me this year. Only problem is the variety of cool color combinations, plus one for style but it makes matching strays impossible.

Been thinking about trying out Darn Tough socks myself, do they really seem that much stronger?

Jeronimo said:
Been thinking about trying out Darn Tough socks myself, do they really seem that much stronger?

I've only been wearing them a coupla months now so can't comment directly on durability but:

Darn Tough said:
If our socks are not the most comfortable and durable socks you have ever owned, return them for another pair or your money back.

No strings. No conditions. For life.

When you are really serious about something you make it yourself.

Return socks to:
Ric Cabot, President
Darn Tough Vermont
364 Whetstone Drive
P.O. Box 307
Northfield, Vermont 05663

Good enough for me.

Didn't feel like going through their entire line up. Merino wool is great for cold weather and indoors use when you aren't active. I just love socks that have sections for each toe. Not just for Vibram Komodosports but for work and everyday use. They ventilate the skin so much better and won't wear the skin in the toes nearly as much as regular socks. A definite issue for me because i train long and walk all the time at work.