• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

something happened that made me rethink my putting

I was warming up for a round of disc golf by throwing a couple rocs at a practice basket. After throwing i decided might as well try to putt out with them just to get the arm moving. I couldnt miss!! I sat there slack jawed as i was banging every putt 35 and in. Ive been unhappy with my current wizards so this was nice banging putts for once. i wish i could recreate this without the obvious of just putting with rocs, thats stupid (right??). sometimes it just feels right to put with a midrange lol. should i get a faster putter to imitate a midrange? or should i get a deeper putter to imitate the glide? im really just thinking out loud here, and any replies about literately anything related to putting would be appreciated. :wall: :wall: :wall:

If you putt with something different, some part of your brain subconsciously switches on and focuses instead of just relying on muscle memory. After a hot streak eventually you'll relapse and take putts for granted again. We call it "new putter phenomena" but it applies to putting with anything, Roc, Groove, warped Tupperware lid, etc.

90% chance this is what you're going through.

i seem to experience this phenomenon a lot. i switch out discs semi frequently when i get bored of throwing things and it seems to reset my form and ill play really well for a round or 2.

Putting is rarely about putters. It is important to find one that fits your putting style and you like the feel of, in your hand. After that it is about practice and confidence. I am confident that there is no putter on the market that will go in more frequently than my trusty Magnet, when I am throwing it properly at the chains.

True.

I find that any change in my putting motion is also a magic cure.....for exactly one day.

I putt with a Roc when it gets windy, and know a couple great putters who use Rocs all the time. One advantage Rocs have as putters is that they weigh a few grams more.

I say keep using the Roc if it keeps working.

I periodically play with 1 or 2 discs, and when a midrange end up putting with it. There's not a lot of fall-off. One problem is that, when I whiff and miss the entire basket, the midrange will overshoot it further.

Putting is 100% mental. It's so easy to fall into your normal habits and confidence level when you use your normal putter while using something new puts you into a different state of mind.

It's the whole "second putt" syndrome. When you miss a putt and then you pick up the random disc that was marking your lie and bang it dead center chains. You let your body take over and do what it naturally wants to do instead of trying to control the putt.

I periodically play with 1 or 2 discs, and when a midrange end up putting with it. There's not a lot of fall-off. One problem is that, when I whiff and miss the entire basket, the midrange will overshoot it further.

I second that on the over shoot with the mid.

Mids generally have good float which makes it easier to float it from 30 feet and out easily, but if it catches too much lift, you got another 20 footer or so whereas my challenger...now atom, hits the dirt and stops.

I do putt style throw with an alias from 60-100 feet though, gets got float and aim is more consistent then side arming.

It is just a mental thing. I had to laugh at myself the other day when I was doing a solo practice round. We have a temp tee on one hole due to water and I decided to unload my bag and try a few lines. Threw 2x thunderbirds, 2x firebirds, 1 drone, 1 teebird and all were 5-20' out. For the fun of it, I cleaned up each of those discs as well as putting my 2 putters from my 2 firebirds. Hit one with my putter. Missed a 20'. Ugh. Pick up the firebird off the ground and drain that from 20'. Then proceed to drain every other disc I threw. Sure, I can hit a 20' with a firebird, thunderbird or drone...and miss with a putter.

Sometimes the mental game is just maddening.

I'd guess you've regressed to strong arming putts...keep pushing with that back foot for forward momentum.

True.

I find that any change in my putting motion is also a magic cure.....for exactly one day.

Haha, this for sure.

I can't remember how many times I thought, "Ah ha! I've discovered xyz form tweak that will finally cure all my putting woes."

Fast forward a week: :doh:

:D

I was warming up for a round of disc golf by throwing a couple rocs at a practice basket. After throwing i decided might as well try to putt out with them just to get the arm moving. I couldnt miss!! I sat there slack jawed as i was banging every putt 35 and in. Ive been unhappy with my current wizards so this was nice banging putts for once. i wish i could recreate this without the obvious of just putting with rocs, thats stupid (right??). sometimes it just feels right to put with a midrange lol. should i get a faster putter to imitate a midrange? or should i get a deeper putter to imitate the glide? im really just thinking out loud here, and any replies about literately anything related to putting would be appreciated. :wall: :wall: :wall:

I am not above going for the obvious. If you are banging chains with Rocs, by all means use Rocs. No need to find something like a Roc, just use a Roc.

It's the whole "second putt" syndrome. When you miss a putt and then you pick up the random disc that was marking your lie and bang it dead center chains. You let your body take over and do what it naturally wants to do instead of trying to control the putt.

It's that and making some micro adjustments after seeing your first fail. That's how I feel about it usually. I see my original putt fail so I give it a second go adjusted and I either hit it or get closer.