• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Something similar in feel to a discraft zone but with less fade?

jmgdiscgolf

Par Member
I love the way the pro-d zone feels in my hand but I'm looking for something with less fade. Is there anything out there that's more neutral but with the same feel? Thanks.

Lucid Suspect from Dynamic discs, or a Pro-D ringer from Discraft. Both have small beads but are low profile like the Zone.

Their are 2 other discs that feel extremely similar, but that's why they fly similar. The Dynamic Discs Suspect and the DGA Breaker. Both the suspect and breaker I feel have less fade at the end than the zone. If you choose one of these get the Suspect in Lucid plastic, it's the least stable out of the DD plastic for the suspect in my opinion. And maybe the DGA Breaker in Pro-line plastic.

All 3 great discs!

What do you mean when you say "feels like a Zone?"

Ringer = Zone Jr ... similar profile and bevel with, less stability. The Ringer's still a pretty overstable putter in it's own right, and as such, will still hook-up and fade pretty hard, but not quite to the degree a Zone does. I don't know of any truly straight shooters that feel quite like a Zone.

If what you seek is a shallow rimmed putter with very little fade, I suggest trying a Vibram Summit

my zone and my buzzz feel similar. maybe try out a beefy flx buzz and see how you like it

Sounds to me like you want an MVP Tensor. It has that Zone-like feel, but it's not quite as beefy. The Tensor will fly straighter further before fading The Zone wants to start fading right away. The Tensor is a bit longer than the Zone though, and is a midrange instead of a tweener.

After I lost my Zone, I decided to try the DGA Breaker in P-Line because that is what my retailer had on the shelf. At first I was disappointed giving up the big fade, but have found the Breaker to be a bit more versatile. I can get it to be "almost a Zone" if I throw it with less spin/more hyzer as the line calls for.

I use it for approaches like I did my Zone, but I haven't thought to rip on it in the practice field like I did my Zone so I don't know if it would fly similarly in that instance.

Might want to give the Axiom Envy a try when you can after it's release on 1/31. I've personally not thrown a zone, but lots of chatter by folks who've tossed both about the Envy being a less OS version of the zone. Might be just what you're looking for.

Might want to give the Axiom Envy a try when you can after it's release on 1/31. I've personally not thrown a zone, but lots of chatter by folks who've tossed both about the Envy being a less OS version of the zone. Might be just what you're looking for.

I'd go Tensor over Envy for sure. The Envy is not quite as OS as I think he's looking for. And it doesn't feel like a Zone either.

Actually, nothing I've thrown feels like a Zone. But the Tensor is the closest thing MVP has offered so far.

Their are 2 other discs that feel extremely similar, but that's why they fly similar. The Dynamic Discs Suspect and the DGA Breaker. Both the suspect and breaker I feel have less fade at the end than the zone. If you choose one of these get the Suspect in Lucid plastic, it's the least stable out of the DD plastic for the suspect in my opinion. And maybe the DGA Breaker in Pro-line plastic.

All 3 great discs!

I second this.

I'd go Tensor over Envy for sure. The Envy is not quite as OS as I think he's looking for. And it doesn't feel like a Zone either.

Actually, nothing I've thrown feels like a Zone. But the Tensor is the closest thing MVP has offered so far.

I hope MVP at least gives you some kind of commission.

@OP-Try a Pro D Zone, after some wear could be straighter. Having thrown most overstable putter like discs then finally a Zone, Breaker is so far the best suggestion. Very straight mold in its flight with a reliable hook at the end.

There's the suspect, the suspect, and, oh ya, the suspect.

Edit: I guess there's the Tensor too, but...its mvp.... :(

I bag 2 Suspects, a Lucid and a Classic Soft.

They feel very close to a Zone. I would say they're a less stable Zone. Still stable, but they will go straight and then fade instead of fading immediately out of the hand. If I had to pick a different name for them, I would call the Suspect a ZoneSS.

Out of curiosity, how does the Suspect compare to the Tensor?

Latest posts