• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Something similar in feel to a discraft zone but with less fade?

I find the Prodiscus Jokeri has a very similar feel to the Zone but not as beefy, so try it out...

I second the Jokeri. Feels like a Zone, but flies more like a Pig. Still beefy.

I can't believe it took 13 posts before the Jokeri was mentioned. I auditioned tons of overstable putter molds to replace the Zone and couldn't do it.

Of all I've tried, the Jokeri feels closer to it than anything else I've tried with a little less overstability and WAY better plastic. If your D Zone is concave, you could even try one in Premi plastic (one of my favorite plastics on the market) and still have it be less beefy, super grippy, and incredibly durable.

The Sinus is close in stability as well, but it's taller and its wing is shaped different.

Out of curiosity, how does the Suspect compare to the Tensor?

Well it's a lot closer to a Zone in shape. It's pretty close to a Zone in fact when it comes to shape. Just not as HSS, slightly longer I'd say because it's straighter perhaps, and it also has less fade when new. I think the tensor compares more to the verdict.

Suspect is definitely a good answer to your question. It's a great tweener type mid/putt and approach and is available in silly amounts of plastic options already.

Lucid, Biofuzion, Fuzion, Classic, Classic soft, and Classic blend. You're sure to find one you like. Personally I love a good concave fuzion suspect the best but the three classic options make great discs for upshots, windy putters, or cycling tweener mids. Just have to choose how soft you prefer. I find the blend to be right in that middle sweet spot. Lucid is your best choice if you want a premium plastic that takes longer to beat in and is more like a Z Zone but less fade.

^^Thanks Steeze. The Tensor and Suspect sound similar, but the plastic options are far greater for the Suspect. It also sounds like the Tensor might be a tick longer, too.

^^Thanks Steeze. The Tensor and Suspect sound similar, but the plastic options are far greater for the Suspect. It also sounds like the Tensor might be a tick longer, too.

Tensor is definitely faster and longer. More OS I think too. The verdict is pretty fast and long with decent HSS and a lot of fade. I like the consistency on MVP discs I just will never be an overmold man. I am looking forward to a distance driver if they can make that work with an overmold.

I love the way the pro-d zone feels in my hand but I'm looking for something with less fade. Is there anything out there that's more neutral but with the same feel? Thanks.

In what capacity are you using your Pro-D Zone that you would benefit from less fade? Drives, upshots, circle putting? At what distance are you throwing it when it fades too much? How long have you been playing? How many throws do you have on it.

Keep using the Pro-D Zone you have. It will become more neutral quickly. You can try a lighter weight. My 169g Pro-D Zone has gone from beefy when new (like for a week) and now it's straight with a bit of turn when throwing in the 200-250ft range I like it for. Many of the suggestions you have received thus far are for discs that will be more overstable than a moderately seasoned Pro-D Zone.

Last edited:
The Suspect is closest in feel that I've seen to a Zone.

I love the way the pro-d zone feels in my hand but I'm looking for something with less fade. Is there anything out there that's more neutral but with the same feel? Thanks.

Maybe we have different ideas about what the original poster wants, but the XD does look and feel very similar to the Zone, especially in DX vs. Pro D plastic. And XDs are pretty straight, with only slight amounts of turn and fade. Sure, you can beat one to fly pretty understable, but you could argue that you could beat the fade off a Zone too, assuming base plastic. People forget how good the XD is because it didn't just come out in the last few years. Really a fantastic disc.

And to the OP, you should at least feel a fresh XD in hand. For the price of new dx, it's worth picking one up to try out.

I also think a jokeri would be a good replacement. It has a slightly deeper rim but feels similar, and like a zone it also doesn't have a bead. In addition it has pretty good glide for an overstable disc.

I carry a Zone, Suspect, and now a Verdict. I know some will start harping about over lap, but I don't care. There is enough difference in all three of them that warrants my carring them. When it comes to discs I am VERY particular how they feel in my hand. To me, these three discs feel very similar in my hand. I know I have not been playing that long, but I have purchased over 170 discs in the last 20 months and tried a ton of different things and have settled on these three due to their familiar feel.
I have a first run Lucid Suspect that I have used a LOT and have hit a lot of trees playing tight wooded courses and has lost some of its over stability. It is now my most used disc next to my putter. It is, however, a somewhat longer disc than the zone, but remember you can back off the power and it will react nicely. Good luck.

breaker and premium jokeri both good; i'd suggest the jokeri more unless you opt for an SP breaker. dunno if the SP breaker is too similar to a zone though; only had a couple throws of each.

Sounds like I should try a Suspect. Thanks for all your answers. Can anyone tell me if a Shark feels similar in their hand to a Zone? Thanks.

Ya could do it the old fashioned way and beat one in till it was less stable too. That's what I do with rhynos...

Keep using the Pro-D Zone you have. It will become more neutral quickly. You can try a lighter weight. My 169g Pro-D Zone has gone from beefy when new (like for a week) and now it's straight with a bit of turn when throwing in the 200-250ft range I like it for.

:clap:

Just keep beating in your current zone, and buy another fresh one for when you need that overstability. Your answer is to cycle zones.

Latest posts