• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Star Wraith

discspeed said:
The most impressive shots I've ever seen from Climo have been Wraith rollers...He pinned a 540' shot on a ball golf course competing against me...There was landscaping all around and his disc carved back and forth right through it. If the shot is over 400' he really likes to roll his Wraiths (I don't really see him use them for airshots anymore though).
We played Cali last night and I had about 450' to the pin and tried it with a RR and came up short and figured I would blow my Cali and threw a sky roller with a 12x Wraith that stood up, stayed straight and went about 60' past the pin causing me to miss my putt and take a 4 :( But the roller was amazing to watch!

I love throwing the 2 swirly orange 12x Wraiths I have (170g/175g). They have a slight to moderate dome and started out plenty beefy. I use them for breezy drives, low line drives and big hyzers. One is now a flip to flat from a shallow hyzer, while the other is still plenty beefy. I throw them about 20' farther than my PD's(380' PD). I have 2 champ Wraiths as well and they both will flip to flat out of the box from a shallow hyzer (they are pretty light though 167-168).

I'm going to have to try some rollers with mine. I love carving forehand lines with my Wraiths too. Very versatile drivers.

I had a farting lemon katana that I swear added feet to my drive. One sad day I lost it........and realized, I can throw my 162g (weenie arm) star wraiths just as far. 380 with the occasional 400 footer. These are really great, consistent discs for someone with 350 ft of power.

Jerry R said:
I had a farting lemon katana that I swear added feet to my drive. One sad day I lost it........and realized, I can throw my 162g (weenie arm) star wraiths just as far. 380 with the occasional 400 footer. These are really great, consistent discs for someone with 350 ft of power.

I'm a 325' ft of power person and completely agree. It's also the biggest rim I can comfortably grip.

For me these days, it is really the Destroyer vs Wraith for that slot in my bag. I can actually get the Destroyer out furthest, but, I keep losing them! The Destroyer takes off on me and goes away some place and I never see it again. Period. I've lost 4 in the last few months. And it is hard to predict it, too. Maybe this is good for a distance competition, but for golf?

I don't typically lose Wraiths. My domey Wraiths typically fly as predictably as my Teebirds, but are longer and faster. I've had one particular Domey Star Wraith in my bag for 2 years (yeah, I bought it before I could really throw it...but now is my main control distance driver). (I assume everyone reading this knows about domey vs flat Wraith molds.) And I can throw it 350' with control, and a little further (375') with less control. And it doesn't take off as badly, since it tends to fade out before it glides away to infinity. I thought about throwing beat Pro Wraiths to complement the nice domey stable Star Wraith, but I've found a Z Surge SS fills that slot very comfortably, and I don't need to tweak it or mess with it at all, it is already there and it is premium plastic. The Domey Star Wraith still performs admirably into the wind, too, and isn't nearly as squirrely as the Katana or Nuke.

I have yet to beat in a Star Wraith to the point where it would make a great roller. My backup Star Wraith was almost there (it was a less tough Star run, but I left it in a basket once and forgot to pick it up...thus its a goner). And I think the flat top would probably be better for rolling than the domey top Wraith. In fact, maybe a beat-in Champ flat top Wraith would make a fantastic roller...maybe I'll try it out one day.

JHern said:
For me these days, it is really the Destroyer vs Wraith for that slot in my bag. I can actually get the Destroyer out furthest, but, I keep losing them! The Destroyer takes off on me and goes away some place and I never see it again. Period. I've lost 4 in the last few months. And it is hard to predict it, too. Maybe this is good for a distance competition, but for golf?
For me it's the complete opposite. =/

EDIT: Well not completely. The Destroyer is more reliable and controllable, and also longer.

JHern said:
I have yet to beat in a Star Wraith to the point where it would make a great roller. My backup Star Wraith was almost there (it was a less tough Star run, but I left it in a basket once and forgot to pick it up...thus its a goner). And I think the flat top would probably be better for rolling than the domey top Wraith. In fact, maybe a beat-in Champ flat top Wraith would make a fantastic roller...maybe I'll try it out one day.
I wouldn't wait to beat one in. I'm throwing really great rollers with a fairly new one. Actually a few people on this board owned it first, I know Jesse and possibly BVictor but I didn't throw it until recently, still looks fairly new and flies with just a little high speed turn like any new wraith. Just give it more air and angle to get it down and rolling as opposed to flippier discs that you can just muscle over from a flat release to roll.

jnecessary said:
JHern said:
I wouldn't wait to beat one in. I'm throwing really great rollers with a fairly new one. Actually a few people on this board owned it first, I know Jesse and possibly BVictor but I didn't throw it until recently, still looks fairly new and flies with just a little high speed turn like any new wraith. Just give it more air and angle to get it down and rolling as opposed to flippier discs that you can just muscle over from a flat release to roll.
+1 great roller disc new I can roll both my flat Star and Pro further than my longest drive.

Tossin' in Memphis said:
The champ I have is 169 and only a little more domey than the star and it flies MUCH more stable...I don't know if that little bit of dome makes that much difference or whether it is just a quirk?

Dome is a pretty reliable stability characteristic for Champ Wraiths. More domey = more stable. I'd say my stable, domey champ wraith is my most valuable Wraith but I carry 5 others all plastics and stabilities.

discspeed said:
The most impressive shots I've ever seen from Climo have been Wraith rollers...He pinned a 540' shot on a ball golf course competing against me...There was landscaping all around and his disc carved back and forth right through it. If the shot is over 400' he really likes to roll his Wraiths (I don't really see him use them for airshots anymore though).

That is interesting. He sure cranks a few long and accurate at the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/24/1KSmCjlG0wY.

I really like the wraith and carry 3 in my bag one Eco 173 ish that I use for open holes without trees as these can get banged up and turn flippy with a couple solid hits. I then Have 2 pro plastics in my bag near max weight. One of the Pro wraiths is fairly beat and I use that on long anny shots. The other Pro disc I rotate in on shots with obsticles from time to time to start getting it seasoned incase my orther Pro wraith goes swimming. I use to keep a Champ but I have switched to a P-PD and have not looked back.

CHEERS - Koffee

Tossin' in Memphis said:
That is very good to hear..I have played all the local courses but have not made it down to walldoxie yet! Have you played the reservoir course down in Jackson MS? My in-laws live there and I like that course alot...

I love The Rez! One of my favorite courses in the general area.

I love the Star Wraith... This is the perfect disc for me if I have to throw close to 400ft, and there's some room, it'll always (which really means most likely) give me a putt at it. Mine's a little domey, 171, and it just wants to flip up a bit, go straight, fade, and end with awesome.

After messing around with all the other uber-speed drivers, I really think that for most of us out there, "Reliable Big D" sort of stops at Speed 11... maybe 12.

Hence Wraith Good.

Has anyone else noticed the difference between the newer vs older molds? They changed it and made the bottom of the flight plate more recessed, allowing your fingers to go deeper inside the rim... This is horrible for me! My fingers catch it when I try to snap out and pull it far too often. They did this with the champ, star and the special blend molds.

Hoey said:
I love the Star Wraith... This is the perfect disc for me if I have to throw close to 400ft, and there's some room, it'll always (which really means most likely) give me a putt at it. Mine's a little domey, 171, and it just wants to flip up a bit, go straight, fade, and end with awesome.

After messing around with all the other uber-speed drivers, I really think that for most of us out there, "Reliable Big D" sort of stops at Speed 11... maybe 12.

Hence Wraith Good.

My Wraith sounds almost exactly the same as yours (also 171). Its a KC12X Star Wraith, and is such a superb disc. I can get mine to go straight or even get some left-right action by changing the release angle and adding a little height. I've had it for a long long time, and never lost it because it always goes where I want it to.

Domey, heavy star wraiths are among my top 3 favorite distance drivers. They're consistent, glide well and can handle a good rip.

I just picked up a nice Glo Wraith, and can't wait to see how it compares to my Star since this one looks a lot more domey than typical Champ Wraiths, and not so different in profile than my beloved Star...

Jeronimo said:
Jesse B 707 said:
if you want it to be easier to power (flip up) then get a champ instead

This is not a true statement. I've seen ri-damn-diculous variation in high speed stability among champion wraiths. From my experience flippy ones have a more clear champion look, the stable ones have a more crackled ice look.

Don't mind Jesse, he makes lots of untrue stmts. Ask him to show you his very own special 4 finger sidearm grip(illustrations were provided by him here). He says it cured his OAT. Yes, that outta do it, LOL.

Latest posts