• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

Bad zip for the twin cities, if you go south or southeast of Minneapolis at all, you'll hit over 30. (36 from Eden Prairie, 37 from South Saint Paul (5 or 6 quality, I forget how many I counted now)

As I recall, doing so loses some of the quality courses. But you're welcome to do it yourself and update the list.

Between Austin area and DFW.
The things that come to mind for me are, is the course playable. Rumor is the major Austin area courses are crazy busy and it is very hard to get a round in for all the large groups. DFW only has this problem at the Vet & Z-Boaz (from what I've seen). Another consideration is quality TD's running quality events. Local minis? How many people show up and who? Who are the local pros? How good are they? Are they good people, willing to play with whoever? Are all the Austin pros like "The Cactus"? (know him and like him, but a valid question)

I think the whole disc golf vibe in austin is a lot better. I've only played a few in dfw and they were alright but atx just has so many courses that are great it is tough to compare. Also Austins population is much smaller than dfw so course per capita is a good indicator of best scene.

I wonder what the actual number of disc golfers is per state, city, etc.

Like to hear other suggestions for a possibe trip.

Minneapolis/st. paul
Highbridge
Madison isn't bad since the club is exetremely active and all the courses are of a fairly high quality

These are the only major areas i've played with the exception of Chicago (not impressed) although Rockford isn't bad.

Between Austin area and DFW.
The things that come to mind for me are, is the course playable. Rumor is the major Austin area courses are crazy busy and it is very hard to get a round in for all the large groups. DFW only has this problem at the Vet & Z-Boaz (from what I've seen). Another consideration is quality TD's running quality events. Local minis? How many people show up and who? Who are the local pros? How good are they? Are they good people, willing to play with whoever? Are all the Austin pros like "The Cactus"? (know him and like him, but a valid question)

I lived & golfed in DFW for 4+ years (just 2 minutes from ZBoaz) & I must say I much prefer the scene here in Austin. The courses are cleaner, more challenging & scenic, friendlier & more courteous golfers, & obviously have a lot more elevation to work with. The courses here feel a lot more like a great nature hike intermixed with some golf whereas the DFW courses feel very urban (with the exception of The Cedar Hill courses). I have also noticed it's a heck of a lot easier to get around to different courses in the Austin area (given you avoid I-35). It's almost impossible to avoid the interstates in DFW if you wanna travel to different courses.

The only two Austin courses that are crazy busy are: Pease & Searight. Ever since Searight opened back up after the revamp, it took a lot of the crowds away from Circle C. East Metro (Manor) rarely ever has more than 6-8 groups out there @ a time & it's one of the top three courses (if not the best) in the area.

I'm really not in the know about the mini & pros around here. I played the ZBoaz mini's religiously when I lived in FW, but mainly b/c there wasn't much else to do in DFW other than golf.... Austin, on the other hand.... :D

I know this is a disc golf course website, but I find it funny that local scenes are almost always related to large numbers of quality courses.

Small numbers of quality courses and strong club presence should be taken into consideration as well - at least if you're looking at a long term evaluation of metro dg scenes.

Agreed. Denver may not have as many courses within a 50 mile radius, but what we do have is an awesome club that does everything it can to provide a strong presence in the community. The Mile High Disc Golf Club has placed 1st the past two years in raising $ for the Ice Bowl events. On top of that we have daily tag matches that bring out 10-40 people each night depending on the local. And every tournament held by the club is usually sold out quickly. Our Spring Fling sold out in 1.23 hours!! The club is normally 400+ members strong and growing every year. Even though we don't have as many courses as some cities we make up for that with an organized and effective club.

If the disc golf scene includes not only courses but playing activity, the Twin Cities is hard to beat. Pop in my zip code (55077) and there are 63 courses inside 50 miles with 2 in the top 20. There are nine metro leagues including the largest in the World with the Sundog having up to 180 players per week. The Minnesota Frisbee Association is the oldest statewide organization still coordinating tournaments around the state all year long, even in our sometimes frozen tundra. We have Top 10 player, Cale Leiviska, top 10 tournament, Minnesota Majestic, and the oldest statewide series, Minnesota Summer Tour.

63 courses within 50 miles with 2 in the top 20, I hate you.:mad:;) If any of you feel bad about your location or think you have to drive far to play different courses my zip is 71235. Dallas area 259-300 miles, Memphis- 305 miles and Jackson is only about 160-185. Jackson sucked bad but just added 2 new courses this last year and is improving. I would put in Arkansas, but they have 24 courses and Louisiana has 23. Arkansas courses are mostly spread out except 1 area that has a bunch of crap. The only good thing about Louisiana is that almost half of the courses are very close to I-20 so if you are traveling to Dallas or Atlanta then you can take your pick of about 9 courses. At least if you are in Arkansas, you are closer to most places that I want to visit. This yr I will hit all of Memphis, which isn't many but there are several Miss wooded state park courses to bag that are within 50 miles or so of Memphis. I want to go to Kentucky, Colorado, Missouri(Quail ridge, Akitas run, Water works and a few more.) While at Quail Ridge I will bop on over to Alton Illinois to play Rock Spring park. So many courses and miles.:( I for got Oklahoma. Black Hawk, the 2 in Pawhuska and a few more while in Tulsa.

Last edited:
63 courses within 50 miles with 2 in the top 20, I hate you.
It helps that I was responsible for getting almost 1 out of 3 (nineteen) of those courses in the gound. So get to work! ;)

I live in the DFW, but have played most of the quality Austin courses. I have to say it's pretty close. I can't say that the golfers were any friendlier in the ATX, as I have had only good experiences here. If I had to choose I would choose DFW just because I've played here a long time and really like the courses here. Austin is beautiful though, and has some really quality courses. We also do not have a course like Wimberley close to here, so it's a toss up I guess

But it is cold up there in MN. I'd have to stick with Charlotte due to its proximity to ME, and Austin if i had to take a trip. Good food, good bars, good music, lots of good looking women, and oh they have a bunch of good courses. And there is not 3 feet of snow on the ground all winter.

I've always heard that Austin is the dream city of the serious disc golf enthusiast. I think in the next ten years there will be 3 or 4 cities that can easily compete. Someone earlier mentioned the cheap cost of land in Texas, and I think that's a really good point.

But it is cold up there in MN. I'd have to stick with Charlotte due to its proximity to ME, and Austin if i had to take a trip. Good food, good bars, good music, lots of good looking women, and oh they have a bunch of good courses. And there is not 3 feet of snow on the ground all winter.
Sloppy, we head south for the winter to play wonderful warm state courses. You should come north during the summer; when you're area is blistering in the heat....we'll be in the 60s or 70s.

Having played a number of the "best" areas; I vote Charlotte area #1 for quality, Austin or DFW not too far behind; and, Minnesota catching up fast. Timmy Gill a good designer (you younger guys will really like his designs; but he's a little too big arm for us old guys). Chuck's not too bad himself...:) This would make sense, as Houck/Kennedy, Gill/and McDaniel (probably my favorite), are some of the best designers around. (Don't mean to not include other great designers I'm unfamiliar with).

Minnesota and other Midwestern cities are great if you don't mind taking several months off during the year. The true disc golf enthusiast is going to live somewhere where they can play all year round. California??

This website doesn't do justice for the west coast courses at all. When you look at the top 10 on the front page and don't see one California course, you know something is way off. But I won't even go into that because I like it that way. Stay away!!! They all suck!!! haha

Latest posts