• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

Minnesota and other Midwestern cities are great if you don't mind taking several months off during the year.
Misconception.

The true disc golf enthusiast is going to live somewhere where they can play all year round. California??
Not enough courses available per its population of players.

http://stevewestdiscgolf.com/images/keyshow.gif

This website doesn't do justice for the west coast courses at all. When you look at the top 10 on the front page and don't see one California course, you know something is way off.
Yet there are two Oregon ones. Yeah, something is way off.

Minnesota and other Midwestern states are great if you don't mind taking several months off during the year. The true disc golf enthusiast is going to live somewhere where they can play all year round.
You might want to rethink that idea. I've attached a shrunken version of the Minnesota Frisbee Association schedule of weekend events for 2010 with listings from January thru December. Among those listings are 35 PDGA events alone. There are leagues running year-round including the most extreme league anywhere that plays glow golf every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving thru March 1 no matter what the weather.

Attachments

• MFA 2010 Sched.jpg
    MFA 2010 Sched.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 15
Misconception.

Not enough courses available per its population of players.

http://stevewestdiscgolf.com/images/keyshow.gif

Yet there are two Oregon ones. Yeah, something is way off.

Misconception that it gets cold as motha fuka in the midwest?? funny. I guess if you don't mind playing in the snow or below zero temps, you can play all year lol.

And i didn't know we are talking about the number of courses available per population of players. Either way, not you or anybody else knows the exact number of how many players there are in any area.

And for your 3rd assinine comment, I was mostly talking about California. Ever seen a map and how big California is?? lol

Plain and simple, this website is great, but, a big but, you can't put 100% reliability into a rating system such as the one that this website features. yes, it works well enough to get a general idea and it's awesome to see pics of all the courses, but to say that the rating system isn't flawed is just ridiculous.

the DGCR Cult in the Kentucky region is no secret in this forum lol :\

You might want to rethink that idea. I've attached a shrunken version of the Minnesota Frisbee Association schedule of weekend events for 2010 with listings from January thru December. Among those listings are 35 PDGA events alone. There are leagues running year-round including the most extreme league anywhere that plays glow golf every Tuesday night from Thanksgiving thru March 1 no matter what the weather.

well i guess i could play disc golf on the north pole year round too if I really wanted to. you're just misunderstanding my point. it doesn't get super cold in the Twin Cities in the winter??? you never see any of that white stuff??? lol

however, let me be more clear for the Midwesterners. I love the midwest. And I agree that it would be a great spot to live for DG.

i was just trying to point out that the weather can be beastly there. And not just the winter. how about those super humid and hot as hell summers?

Central Iowa. From Indianola (just south of Des Moines) up through Ames and Boone. We have great courses and great people. Plus, its easy to take a weekend trip up to the Twin Cities or Kansas City from here.

Central Iowa. From Indianola (just south of Des Moines) up through Ames and Boone. We have great courses and great people. Plus, its easy to take a weekend trip up to the Twin Cities or Kansas City from here.

Agreed. I'm from Cedar Rapids, IA. Love it there. But not a big fan of the weather...

well i guess i could play disc golf on the north pole year round too if I really wanted to. you're just misunderstanding my point. it doesn't get super cold in the Twin Cities in the winter??? you never see any of that white stuff??? lol
You're defining disc golf as a summer sport. Just like we don't use Frisbees anymore the way disc golf started in California summers, we now play the sport year-round with golf discs in the snow, sometimes in the dark with LED glow sticks. I think we've got a better chance to get disc golf in the Olympics if we try to get in the Winter Olympics instead of summer.

Think how cool that would look on TV at the Olympics with LED lit discs flinging thru the sky at glow rope decorated baskets. If the Olympics is in the wrong part of the world for US prime time like it will be in Russia next time, no problem showing disc golf live at the appropriate time in the dark that matches prime time in North America. Who would need collared shirts? Psychedelic glow-in-the-dark duds would look great in infrared HD video camera feeds. Give Bob Costas a black light tie and glow hair gel.

But I digress...:)

Real Talk.

You're defining disc golf as a summer sport. Just like we don't use Frisbees anymore the way disc golf started in California summers, we now play the sport year-round with golf discs in the snow, sometimes in the dark with LED glow sticks. I think we've got a better chance to get disc golf in the Olympics if we try to get in the Winter Olympics instead of summer.

Think how cool that would look on TV at the Olympics with LED lit discs flinging thru the sky at glow rope decorated baskets. If the Olympics is in the wrong part of the world for US prime time like it will be in Russia next time, no problem showing disc golf live at the appropriate time in the dark that matches prime time in North America. Who would need collared shirts? Psychedelic glow-in-the-dark duds would look great in infrared HD video camera feeds. Give Bob Costas a black light tie and glow hair gel.

But I digress...:)

Misunderstanding again. Did I ever define it as a summer sport? I just made the obvious point that the winter can really suck in the midwest. I never said that you can't play in the fall, spring or summer. I have several die hard DG friends in Iowa and most of them put away their discs in the winter. The only time the discs come out in the winter is if they travel somewhere where the weather is bearable (i.e. California - back to my original point).

Maybe it's just me, but I would rather live in an area that has good playable weather all year round than have 100 courses in the surrounding area. As long as i have 4-5 solid courses in the area, with beautiful weather, I'd be a happy camper.

There are plenty of similarities between disc golf and ball golf. Do you ever see a PGA tour event that takes place in the snow or freezing temps? Are your ball golf courses open year round in the midwest?

Now you're just being silly. if disc golf ever did make the Olympics, do you really think it would be in the Winter Olympics instead of the Summer Olympics????

"I think we've got a better chance to get disc golf in the Olympics if we try to get in the Winter Olympics instead of summer." Please explain the logic with this statement. Because it's way beyond my comprehension. With that thinking, why don't they just have all of the major PDGA events in the winter?? lol

Olympics a completely different animal. That was a brilliant :) post.

Brilliant? More like delusional lol

DG in the Winter Olympics. yeah, brilliant idea :\

Because all of us disc golfers love to play in the snow in our big winter coats and snow suits. Hey maybe we can even combine DG with cross country skiing. There you go...

What you're overlooking is that people actually do play all year-round in the Midwest. The scene is better than most warmer climate areas in terms of both courses and popularity as a percentage of the population base. Courses are still busy in the winter with competitive players (but not the HS crowd yet). In fact, some may be busier in winter than courses in Texas during the brutally hot summers.

So the winter success itself indicates the potential for a marketing coup to get in the Winter Olympics. The countries where disc golf is played internationally are mostly Winter Olympics powers from Scandinavia, to the rest of northern Europe, Canada and Japan. The Summer Olympics require 50 countries to be involved before being considered and we're at around 25 currently with PDGA connections. Not sure what the number might be for Winter Olympics but it's quite a bit less considering that Winter Olympics has less than half as many countries participating as in Summer.

can Michigan get a shout out I live in AZ now but come guys The mittens got some sick course 45
within 50 miles of my old place atleast a hundred more in the state.

I've always heard that Austin is the dream city of the serious disc golf enthusiast. I think in the next ten years there will be 3 or 4 cities that can easily compete. Someone earlier mentioned the cheap cost of land in Texas, and I think that's a really good point.

Land in Texas, especially around the austin area is not cheap...at all.

I don't know about other areas, but we've got it pretty good around here. I've got well over 40 courses within 50 miles, with a few more going in the ground as we speak. And that's just the ones listed on here.

Maine seems to have a ton of quality courses. A lot of them are probably closed half the year, but I used to play a lot of DG in snowshoes and it is just as much fun as playing in summer. It is a better workout, the course is completely empty, and learning to make a good standing throw will help your game immensely. The L.A. area has a bunch of quality courses too, and if its good weather you're after it doesn't get much more pleasant than southern California.

This comes up on a monthly basis, always lacking specific criteria.

Sigh.

David. Friend. I'm there for you. That's what I've been trying to do.

Define a radius. I've proposed 25 miles. 50 also seems popular.

Define a "quality" course. I've proposed 4.00 minimum with 5 reviews minimum.

Define a mecca. Such as: 25 mile radius, 25 total courses, 5 quality courses.

Use the fabulous query tool to try different zip codes.

Yes, the other discussions require subjectivity: Leagues, people, events, vibe, etc.

Latest posts