• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

States, Metros with the best DG Scene?

Not sure how much the quantity really matters, anyway. How many people regularly play more than a half-dozen courses? You could put 50 near me but I know I'd mostly play my favorites. And as a vacationer, I'm sure 40 courses within 50 miles has no appeal.

Not sure how much the quantity really matters, anyway. How many people regularly play more than a half-dozen courses? You could put 50 near me but I know I'd mostly play my favorites. And as a vacationer, I'm sure 40 courses within 50 miles has no appeal.

No argument, really. But that's more from a single-person POV. On the macro, looking at a whole are for disc golf, the quantity would be a measure of how available golf is to the people across the whole area.

That is, sure, maybe in Austin the vast majority of players never play more than (say) 5 different courses, but there are 35 courses within 25 miles of a particular spot, thus making disc golf highly available across the area being measured.

Quantity matters in keeping crowds down. More courses (no matter what the quality) means fewer players on each one.

Quantity matters in keeping crowds down. More courses (no matter what the quality) means fewer players on each one.
It kind of depends. The better courses here are way more heavily used than the crappier ones. Quantity does matter some, but quality matters a lot more.

It kind of depends. The better courses here are way more heavily used than the crappier ones. Quantity does matter some, but quality matters a lot more.
I disagree. I'd much rather travel someplace with several 2.5-4 rated courses than, 1-2 4+ gems that you're going to be spending a lot of time waiting on people at.

I've been to your area on numerous occasions. I'm curious which courses there you'd consider better versus crappy.

I would much rather go to a lower rated course and play at my own pace than go to a crowded highly rated course. Beginners tend to like the shorter 9 hole courses, so having a few of those in an area will help keep numbers down at more serious, more challenging, higher rated courses.

What you're overlooking is that people actually do play all year-round in the Midwest.

Tell me something I don't know. But the amount of people that actually play in the freezing temps and snow is VERY minimal. Freeze my a$$ off even with a big winter coat on? Or shorts and teeshirt all year? hmmmmmm

The scene is better than most warmer climate areas in terms of both courses and popularity as a percentage of the population base.

100% opinion

Ya don't wear a big coat...ya layer...works much better that way....though, most of the time, you still end up feeling like the Michelin man. :)

Do you think we just all hibernate during the winter? Actually, gives many players the opportunity to play courses less crowded (like in the old days...sigh); when the noobs are scared of a little cold...

Perhaps. Here in central South Carolina courses are in fairly low quantity....pretty good quality....yet not too crowded. An area with many courses, but also many players, is likely as crowded.

I guess, for tournament players, there's an attraction to being able to play more events without staying in hotels. Augusta, GA had 17 sanctioned events in one year, a few years ago. A benefit of quantity.

As a place to live, I'd still rather have a few very good courses.

As a place to visit, I'd definitely rather have a few very good courses.

I disagree. I'd much rather travel someplace with several 2.5-4 rated courses than, 1-2 4+ gems that you're going to be spending a lot of time waiting on people at.
That's not disagreeing with what I said. I prefer the same thing. If what I said weren't true then that wouln't be an option as there would be a more equal distribution between all courses rather than the popular courses being packed.

I've been to your area on numerous occasions. I'm curious which courses there you'd consider better versus crappy.
I'm specifically talking about Water Works. There is little to no course maintainence going on which makes it not as pleasant to play, but way more deserted than the other local courses.

I'm specifically talking about Water Works. There is little to no course maintainence going on which makes it not as pleasant to play, but way more deserted than the other local courses.

This is gold; I've actually encouraged this in the past; in my home area; but doesn't really happen any more (partially thanks to DGCR :)). Every course we have is completely over run; even in the morning, on a week day. :(

Do you think we just all hibernate during the winter? Actually, gives many players the opportunity to play courses less crowded (like in the old days...sigh); when the noobs are scared of a little cold...

lol I know you don't ALL hibernate in the winter. But the majority do. I was born and raised in Iowa so I know all about the winters there. The whole time I lived there I never saw anybody playing in the winter when there was snow or freezing temps. For one, like you said, you feel like the Michelin man. And two, your throwing hand is going to be numb or frost bitten if you're not wearing a glove. I guess you could have some hand warmers that would help though.

But who clears off all of the tee pads? Do you take a shovel with you and clear all 18 pads as you play? lol Or do you just tee off in the vicinity?

Shoot in some places you might not even be able to see the snow covered baskets. So you might have to clear those from snow as well.

No argument, really. But that's more from a single-person POV. On the macro, looking at a whole are for disc golf, the quantity would be a measure of how available golf is to the people across the whole area.

That is, sure, maybe in Austin the vast majority of players never play more than (say) 5 different courses, but there are 35 courses within 25 miles of a particular spot, thus making disc golf highly available across the area being measured.

I've heard Austin is beautiful. Definitely on the destination list, not just for DG. And I travel to south Florida quite often. I wish they had a lot more courses down there....

But who clears off all of the tee pads? Do you take a shovel with you and clear all 18 pads as you play? lol Or do you just tee off in the vicinity?
Yes. We have regular winter volunteers who clear and salt or sand the tee pads as needed all winter long at several courses. When El Nino came thru maybe 8 years ago, the warm winter brought everyone out. Once the temps went back down the following years, players got used to playing in winter and continue to this day. The Chili Dog Saturday league averaged around 40-45 every week during winter. I know the Kensington and/or Hudson Mills (MI) draw doubles on Sundays draws a crowd all year long. There are probably more disc golfers playing in winter now than cross country skiiers in Minnesota. at least in the metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc
The scene is better than most warmer climate areas in terms of both courses and popularity as a percentage of the population base.

100% opinion
Nope. Actual stats on numbers of courses per capita by state plus PDGA membership as a percentage of population as a surrogate for total number of players. Regardless, it's reasonable to project that more courses per capita means more players per capita by whatever means you wish to estimate.

Yes. We have regular winter volunteers who clear and salt or sand the tee pads as needed all winter long at several courses. When El Nino came thru maybe 8 years ago, the warm winter brought everyone out. Once the temps went back down the following years, players got used to playing in winter and continue to this day. The Chili Dog Saturday league averaged around 40-45 every week during winter. I know the Kensington and/or Hudson Mills (MI) draw doubles on Sundays draws a crowd all year long. There are probably more disc golfers playing in winter now than cross country skiiers in Minnesota. at least in the metro area.

Sounds awesome. The true die hards.

But the point I was trying to make is that if I had a choice, I'd rather be somewhere that's warm all year. But that's just my personal preference. I prefer hot over cold. And the courses on the west coast are absolutely beautiful (if one cares about scenery). I just like the clean crisp air out here. In Oregon, everything is really green, no humidity, mountains, clean rivers coming off the mountains, etc. etc. etc.

Sounds awesome. The true die hards.

But the point I was trying to make is that if I had a choice, I'd rather be somewhere that's warm all year. But that's just my personal preference. I prefer hot over cold. And the courses on the west coast are absolutely beautiful (if one cares about scenery). I just like the clean crisp air out here. In Oregon, everything is really green, no humidity, mountains, clean rivers coming off the mountains, etc. etc. etc.
Wouldn't we all like to live and play DG in paradise?

That being said, if those of you who live in warm weather climates ever had to move to a cold weather one that still had a decent DG scene, I think you'd adapt to your surroundings before giving up the hobby, even if only for the winter. And you'd gain an appreciation for winter time play in the process.

Nope. Actual stats on numbers of courses per capita by state plus PDGA membership as a percentage of population as a surrogate for total number of players. Regardless, it's reasonable to project that more courses per capita means more players per capita by whatever means you wish to estimate.

When you use the word "better," it's always an opinion. In your opinion, it's better.

And you're right to use the word "estimate." Because that is all you are doing. Actual stats on number of courses only tells me just that. Nothing more. You're statements are just assumptions. If one area has tons of courses, it doesn't tell me how many DGers are in the area. Same with PDGA memberships. That just tells me how man DGers signed on with the PDGA. But how many DGers are there that aren't with the PDGA??

The #1 disc golfer in the world lives right here in Portland, OR. Should I make assumptions from that too?

Wouldn't we all like to live and play DG in paradise?

That being said, if those of you who live in warm weather climates ever had to move to a cold weather one that still had a decent DG scene, I think you'd adapt to your surroundings before giving up the hobby, even if only for the winter. And you'd gain an appreciation for winter time play in the process.

Agreed. Because how many of us move and live somewhere just for DG? Things that weigh our decision are family, job, etc.

I love the Midwest. Great people. And there is some natural beauty there too. And some of the best DG courses in the world.

I was just trying to get at that one reason or one perk of me moving to the west coast was the weather. Some people don't care about what mother nature does, some people do.

Latest posts