• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stickers on discs, PDGA legal or not?

For PDGA sanctioned play stickers on discs are:

• Legal

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • Illegal

Votes: 67 72.0%
  • I don't care, I don't play PDGA events

Votes: 18 19.4%

• Total voters
It's illegal for players and retailers to add a sticker to the disc but not for the manufacturers to use them and for players leave them attached. It's a done deal in the PDGA specs.

It's illegal for players and retailers to add a sticker to the disc but not for the manufacturers to use them and for players leave them attached. It's a done deal in the PDGA specs.
Agreed, except for the "retailers" part. The rule reads:
Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.
and does not prohibit anyone other than a player from making a modification, such as applying a sticker.

In some cases the distributors to whom we sell require a sticker be applied prior to shipping. Some want a "model specific" sticker while others require a "bar code" sticker. We apply them at the warehouse while filling the order. We also try to remove them when discs are returned. Retailers will generally apply a sticker for inventory control purposes.
The key to removing them is PATIENCE and Goo Gone.
Intentional flight plate modifications are illegal in any case.

Agreed, except for the "retailers" part. The rule reads:

Quote:
Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal.

and does not prohibit anyone other than a player from making a modification, such as applying a sticker.
Sorry but it does prevent that from happening. Players are responsible for meeting 802.01A which requires the disc to meet the technical standards. One standard it wouldn't meet is having 500 of those discs out there with that "rogue" sticker on it being applied by a manufacturer.

Aren't those stickers that Quest uses larger than 7cm?

Ultra-Grip, they called it. From '06:
ph_ultgrp_side.jpg

ph_ultgrp_xlg.jpg

Looks like they took someone elses idea

Haven't seen them. That 7cm will soon be reviewed by the manufacturers to make sure the upcoming revisions related to labeling and stickers work.

The Discraft raised grip pads were legal as long as Discraft applied them. They were less than 0.5 cm of thickness on the top of the flight plate which is the current standard, but I'm not sure if that standard was there when they first came out with those. The Grip line from Lat 64 has the pads molded in.

Haven't seen them. That 7cm will soon be reviewed by the manufacturers to make sure the upcoming revisions related to labeling and stickers work.

None of my wife's Quest discs have any of the full stickers left on them, but you can see the residue of one of them. The sticker was somewhere between 8cm to 9cm.

IMG_2881_c.jpg

IMG_2880_c.jpg

couldn't you make the same argument, if it is illegal to make post manufacturer modifications then it would be illegal to remove the sticker? after all it was put on their by the manufacturers, I would say if it is legal to have that specific sticker on there because the manufacturers put it on there then it would be illegal to take it off.

The proposed revised wording regarding manufacturing labels won't have a size limit. Agreed that removing the labels by players would not be allowed, especially if they have disc model info on them. That also means those who custom tye dye discs will need to replace the original labels on the discs if they are removed in the process.

Ha ha. I'm gonna call you quest guys out like " where's your warning- this is the furthest disc ever. sticker. "

Agreed that removing the labels by players would not be allowed, especially if they have disc model info on them.

I hope the PDGA realizes how silly that restriction is and is working to remove that in the rewording of the rules.

How is that even enforcable? Will the approved discs spreadsheet now have a column for "MFG Sticker"? All discs of that model will be required to be produced with a sticker....?

So under this rule a player can purchase a brand new $25 CFR ZippyDisc with sticker and throw it in a 2" deep casual puddle on their first drive, the wet sticker falls off and the disc is now illegal for play?!?

The requirement is for the manufacturers to attach "permanent" stickers if they use them. If they simply come off in water, the stickers would not comply. The reason they would have labels at all is the manufacturer chose labels to identify the disc model. This will be required with the standards so that players know what disc it is when custom hotstamps are appplied. Using disc model name initials with "permanent" ink like Innova is also an option if the manufacturer chooses to do it that way.

The Tech Standards group can't really say what the rules will be in the field regarding stickers disappearing. That will be up to the Rules Committee and have to be addressed in the next rules update.

Last edited:
The proposed revised wording regarding manufacturing labels won't have a size limit. Agreed that removing the labels by players would not be allowed, especially if they have disc model info on them. That also means those who custom tye dye discs will need to replace the original labels on the discs if they are removed in the process.

good grief! yet another unenforcable rule. there has to be a better way to achieve the goal if the goal is for model info to be available on the discs. why not force the manufacturers to rubber stamp them somehow?

Manufacturers would have that option also - identify the disc model in the hotstamp, sticker or ink.

Last edited:
I wondered how this thread could last so long.

hibyeya6.gif

Now I know. See ya.

Does this rule mean I have to put my name on all of my disc, or they talkin bout the stamp ?

F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.