• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stop asking if you are outside the circle!

One thing I noticed when playing and in putting league: more people guess shorter than longer. By a wide margin. I've had one person complain about missing a 25 footer and it was a 40 footer, for example. I told him not to worry about it because it was 40 feet and he couldn't believe it, so I used my range finder and it showed 41 feet. I just think people get in an interesting mental state when about to putt, and they can't often guess the distance correctly, though the range isn't that far, and you might think it would be easy for everyone. I also think that's why some people get upset when they miss. They think they missed a much shorter than it really was. So I don't hesitate to help people gauge whether or not they're in or out.

It will require players to learn a new skill: standstill throwing. We'll get a little more distance out of our courses as well.

Learning to swim will net you a new skill. You'd also save, I'd guess, around a $1000 a year in VIP Hatchets. Just remember though, skinny dipping and swimming are not the same thing. Man I hope the elementary schools by you don't have water hazards of any kind...

You know what, just stick to your other bad ide...skills. You must've been doing a run up when you came up with ^ that idea.

;)

Learning to swim will net you a new skill. You'd also save, I'd guess, around a $1000 a year in VIP Hatchets. Just remember though, skinny dipping and swimming are not the same thing. Man I hope the elementary schools by you don't have water hazards of any kind...

You know what, just stick to your other bad ide...skills. You must've been doing a run up when you came up with ^ that idea.

;)

It seemed too early for drunk shit posting, so I am guessing maybe some boredom trolling, lol.

I begin with a story. Lead card, final round, scores were tight. A player who is notoriously problematic asks if he is outside the circle for a jump putt or not. He was right at the circle's edge, no tassels in the ground.

As I say no, another player says yes. He is confused, beginning to get frustrated, and asks for clarification. The fourth player on the card says he doesn't know, I say just jump it, I don't care. He step putts, misses, rolls to 30, misses the come back putt and takes a bogey.

He's upset, and wants answers. "You guys could have given me a straight answer instead of that back and forth bullsh*t."

It's not my job to help with your decision making on the course. It's not my job to help you avoid breaking the rules. Sure there should be a clear indicator where C1 is on every course, but that's just not how it is. It's up to me to call you on rules violations, that's it. I have a system where I walk-off almost every C2 attempt. Anything 11 steps and over, I jump, anything close or under 11 steps, I treat as a C1 attempt. I don't ask, I don't verify, it's up to my card mates to call me on a foot fault if they believe I broke the rules.

Asking, "am I out" slows down the game, takes pressure off you as a player and puts it on your opponents. Stop it. Take accountability for your lie and your actions, leave me out of it.

End Rant.
This is one of the reasons I believe we should extend circle 1 rules to circle 2.

Also, Im not a huge jump/step putt fan to begin with. People are just looking to be 1/2 inch out of the circle so they can jump 6 feet forward then launch the disc at the basket. its just.. dumb.

"oh but i can't get any power otherwise"

Whatever.

But asking or not asking. He has his right to ask, but basically since it was undecided, the answer is no. Follow C1 rules. Because there wasn't an agreement.

Regardless of the answers that anyone on the card gave, I guarantee you it would have been anyone's fault but their own for missing the putt.

This is one of the reasons I believe we should extend circle 1 rules to circle 2.

Also, Im not a huge jump/step putt fan to begin with. People are just looking to be 1/2 inch out of the circle so they can jump 6 feet forward then launch the disc at the basket. its just.. dumb.

"oh but i can't get any power otherwise"

Whatever.

But asking or not asking. He has his right to ask, but basically since it was undecided, the answer is no. Follow C1 rules. Because there wasn't an agreement.

Regardless of the answers that anyone on the card gave, I guarantee you it would have been anyone's fault but their own for missing the putt.

Who peed in your cereal this morning?

Nobody. It's what I feel would make the game better.

Everyone boohoo's so hard on the jump putt argument though that it's hilarious. "I need to be able to jump putt."
I'm ok with jump putts. Step putts on other hand...

I'm ok with jump putts. Step putts on other hand...
I'm honestly more offended by step putts than jump putts generally.

You're gonna step 5 feet passed the disc and just kinda pop it at the basket while your foot is 2mm's off the ground?

Thats's the complaint overall I have with jump putting and step putting.

It should be Putt, then step through.
Putt than jump through.

Instead people are jumping at the basket trying to get it out of their hand quickly.

And then step putting.... it's like power walking to the basket and popping the disc and putting your foot down, the... gimmick is worse than bad jump putts.

again, it should be putting hard enough that you have to step through after the putt.
Not stepping 5-6 feet at the basket as long as you can and just basically pop putting it.
If you're just gonna putt like that, then you can just pop it while standin behind the lie.

Either way. C1 rules to c2 would really change up the silliness on disc golf with jump/step putting.

At Circle 2 you would have even more people asking because there becomes an actual useful function to stepping/jumping for more people. I for instance might occasionally jump from circle 2 but would never even consider it inside 45 feet or so. Also would be way harder to guesstimate the distance. The optimal distance would be roughly the point where people transition from putting motion to throwing motion which would imo be even farther out. I think I would prefer eliminating the circle entirely and allowing jump/step all the way to the pin given these choices.

My true preference would be that some genius come up with some rules verbiage which can fully encompass the various permutations of "still" putting, step or jump putting and fairway shot. I myself have been unable to come up with anything.

Standstill is totally a skill. Throwing a standstill well still often involves following through past your lie since body rotation is important, especially for those of us with aged joints... There needs to be some provision in the rules to allow people from a certain distance to follow through. That distance can be adjusted and wouldn't bother me. Different by division would be ok too but would make ratings that much more of a headache... (I stand no benefit, I only step/jump in pretty specific situations and have no issue spin putting out to 70', even here at 5000' elevation. Sea level it feels like putts can just go forever...

Latest posts