• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strange, Funny, or Odd Course Names

The course in Marana, Arizona is affectionately called "The Rock." It is a great course. In March there will be an annual tournament called "Lockdown at the Rock" which is only fitting since local inmates clean the course on a regular basis to accummulate community service hours (or so I have been told).

That's pretty funny. I have a State Hostpital less than one mile from me. It has an amazingly beautiful property and I constantly make up holes in my head. I wonder if theres anyone I could talk to about getting a dream course put in.

Gerry Kent
Chief Executive Officer
Norristown State Hospital
1001 Sterigere Street
Norristown, PA 19401

aww you beat me to it. I've never played it but heard many many good things about it. Going to hit it up when it gets warmer.

Come on CwAlbino, with all your years playing and your post count and your location as southeast Iowa and you haven't played Sugarbottom? You got to hit that up! A great course!

In Hitchcock , TX there are two courses in one park, and they have been calling the first course "Camp Wallace". From what I understand there use to be some base there, and you can still see signs from it on hole #17.

In SE Iowa, there are two courses that have always jumped out at me, I'm surprised that CWalbino didn't mention these.

Chautauqua Park in Fairfield, Iowa. and probably one of my favorite 9 holers.
Dankwardt Park in Burlington, Iowa

The Irony is that there is another park, non-DG, that is attached to Dankwardt Park called Crappo Park. It's pronounced CRAY-PO, but it's hard to get pass that spelling! lol

I've always thought names like "The Whippin' Post" and "The Woodshed" are pretty funny. Is that where masochists go to play?