• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strange, Funny, or Odd Course Names

Tree Top DGC at Sorosis Park

Not so much the course name.... But Sorosis Park? Hey kids lets go play at liver failure park. Weird.

Well, since Buddy Butts is currently getting its own comic thread, it reminded me of this old thread. There have been a lot of courses added since 2010, and every time I have seen a review for Buddy Butts I thought "that would have a good one to add to the list".

Buddy Butts

Anybody have any others?

Shawshank in Huntsville, TX. It's owned by a guy named Dufrane (thats close to Dufresne), and Huntsville is home of the Texas State Pen.

Dash's Track in Frisco, TX. Not sure what's up with the name.

Well, there's Desert Fox DGC [2 courses] near Hattiesburg, MS---so named because German POWs from Rommel's Afrikka Korps built the spillway that created the reservoir there in 1944. Off Bethel Road 20 mi. north of Gulfport there's an historic POW camp from WWII where I'd love to see a course, but the rednecks would vandalize it toot sweet.

Flat Rocks DGC
No flat, no rocks- what's the deal?! :D

^ I just played that one for the first time last year and I was certain there would be some cool rock formations. It was a fun course but (alas) no flat rocks.

I've always thought names like "The Whippin' Post" and "The Woodshed" are pretty funny. Is that where masochists go to play?

^ This is where West Virginians go to get punished. I feel like those are excellent names as the courses have reputations of being extremely difficult. We have another course I have yet to play with an interesting name. I've heard some good things about Poor House Farm in Martinsburg.

Got to mention GMcAtee's Morgan's Raid Country Club. :hfive:

The barn on his home course was theoretically a hideout for Morgan's raiders in the 1800's...or something like that.

ps: neat to read the recent discussion...I've played Shawshank, The Twilight Zone, Lobdell, Flat Rocks, both Beavers...

Last edited:
late edit: that 'Shawshank', of course!
ps: Just realized I've even played both Beavers and the nine holer at Desert Fox.

Well, there's Desert Fox DGC [2 courses] near Hattiesburg, MS---so named because German POWs from Rommel's Afrikka Korps built the spillway that created the reservoir there in 1944. Off Bethel Road 20 mi. north of Gulfport there's an historic POW camp from WWII where I'd love to see a course, but the rednecks would vandalize it toot sweet.

late edit: that 'Shawshank', of course!
ps: Just realized I've even played both Beavers and the nine holer at Desert Fox.

I have to play this course at least one time.

It's like its calling my name or something...

^ I just played that one for the first time last year and I was certain there would be some cool rock formations. It was a fun course but (alas) no flat rocks.
Yea, it's too bad because there are some cool rock formations at Rising Park, which is just across the way. Check it out some time! :thmbup:
I put this on my wish list years ago. Any state hospital or anything with the words "mental" or "clinic" is a must play. Good find grodney:thmbup: and thanks bj, I had forgotten about this thread.
I just looked at that mental hospital course on here...

87c2cc3c.jpg

Have you ever seen such baskets??

Red Mountain in Mesa, AZ has two 18 hole courses on site. From the name one might infer there is a Red Mountain on site or at least a red mountain or red rock nearby that you could view.

However, there are no red mountains or even red hills or red rocks anywhere near this property. It is also as flat as can be. There is no red either.