• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suddenly nose up

thirtydirtybirds

Double Eagle Member
Got a chance to hit the practice field for an hour this morning. Throwing goal to goal on a soccer field, with a fairly stiff head/tail wind back and forth.

The wind was really amplifying a sudden nose up issue today. I have been iffy on grip the whole time I have been playing. Power grip is somewhat awkward for me, index/middle finger fan/ other 2 power works ok with deeper discs but still has the nose up issue. Best I have found is 3 finger power grip, but I still find it hard to get a comfortable disc orientation so it's coming out nose down.

Any drills or any ideas to help me start to get this nose back down and get a grip?!

After getting a consistent grip and orienting the disc straight with my forearm, I found that nose-up was mostly caused by me not getting fully to the front leg before really swinging. I am not really sure why this happens honestly, but solving that problem did a bunch of work for my whole swing.

Slowing down and loosening up always works. Often times I find that if I'm throwing nose up, I'm not 'lagging' my hit after my brace.

The pour the coffee thing still makes no sense to me.

You're bending your wrist down when you're gripping the driver to throw it nose down. Next time you pour some tea or coffee or milk or whatever it may be, pay attention to how you're bending your wrist down to control the pour.

You're bending your wrist down when you're gripping the driver to throw it nose down. Next time you pour some tea or coffee or milk or whatever it may be, pay attention to how you're bending your wrist down to control the pour.

Apparently I hold and pour a coffee pot like a neanderthal. I do understand the reference though and lock my wrist in the described position.

I sit within eyesight of the coffee maker at work and have been low key watching people for a while and most everyone noob hyzers their coffee.

Hold the disc in your hand. Extend it to the release point. Now pretend it's a key and "turn it on all the way" (rhbh). Notice what happens to tour forearm and elbow. I am trying to correct my swing as well. I do something awkward with my forearm.

Hold the disc in your hand. Extend it to the release point. Now pretend it's a key and "turn it on all the way" (rhbh). Notice what happens to tour forearm and elbow. I am trying to correct my swing as well. I do something awkward with my forearm.

Is this the same idea as rotating a quarter with your thumb?

Yep, that's a big "AHA!" Moment for me. I don't have a ton of space at home to throw, but tried this with a few putters just now and I get it. That's a big help.

I also have been having trouble getting my eight shift lately. For some reason I have a mental thing where I'm constantly paranoid I'll slip on my plant foot. My shoes are pretty worn out, I just need to get out in a new pair and prove my fear of slipping to be invalid.

I haven't heard about rotating the quarter.

I think it's supposed to have the same affect, but I like turning a key better. I've always had trouble with that grip hard at the last second idea, but it feels like if a swing through and turn the key at the last second the disc just wants to pop out there nose down. Solid tip

I haven't heard about rotating the quarter.

Not exactly just about nose angle, but Rhatton mentions the key turn in this video at 1:19 in reference to a DFP grip. Same sort of concept just taken to the extreme. Eagle would be an example of someone who uses this type of grip if I'm not mistaken. I think thats one reason that he and GG have the "suitcase" grip where the key is basically all the way "unturned" in the backswing and they can fully "turn the key" through release, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Not exactly just about nose angle, but Rhatton mentions the key turn in this video at 1:19 in reference to a DFP grip. Same sort of concept just taken to the extreme. Eagle would be an example of someone who uses this type of grip if I'm not mistaken. I think thats one reason that he and GG have the "suitcase" grip where the key is basically all the way "unturned" in the backswing and they can fully "turn the key" through release, if that makes sense.

Wait, is that what the tilted twirl star bust video that makes no sense to me is about ?

https://youtu.be/k4-IN1yMQXc

Is there any easy way to know if you are throwing nose up? other than that you can read the text when it flies away?

Film your throw, you'll see if the disc is coming out tilted upwards

Is there any easy way to know if you are throwing nose up? other than that you can read the text when it flies away?

You think to yourself, "I threw that really well, with good athletic form, kept my chin forward, drug my back foot, but it didn't go very far and died in fade."