• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TDGV

bummer

I understand Mike C

The "hobby feeling more like a job" quote is how I feel sometimes when I'm working on my course. The time, labor and money that I've put into the courses I've done does take it's toll. I still have the passion of creating courses and playing, but I end up with zero time to do so. I only play my course when people come over. I don't even have time to practice. When no one is here, I work on and maintain my course till the late hours. Thankfully, my wife and kids are supportive and I make sure I spend time with them too.

Sometimes I wonder why I even keep trying. Maybe becasue I know we can overcome all the BS life throws at us. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I pray and ask the Big Guy to help me, and he does! Sure, I might get stung by a ton of bees or have a few close calls from falling trees, but I'm still kicking! Having people over to play and having a good time helps keep me going. When people tell me they love my course, it really does help boost my morale.

Hope you can rekindle the disc golf flame someday Mike C. Hope you can make it up to Michigan in October! I'd love to have you and the MVP TeamFam crew back to our place OCT 10th and 11th. The fall colors will be perfect and we even have Michigan Bike Route 20 passing by our neighborhood along with miles of Rail-Trails, State Land and the neat "Circle The Lakes" routes all over.

Mill Creek Trestle down the street from my private course. It's called the Wadhams to Avoca Trail
https://vimeo.com/109356214

Last edited:
My guess is that he took all the vids down because of the ****storm that now emerges. They will probably be up again in 1 or 2 weeks when most people forgot about this incident.
"This incident" being him unplugging? Or is there something else?

I'm bummed up with MikeC riding off into the sunset.

If you ever see this Mike, I really appreciate all of the help and positive reviews you gave RDG.
It isn't often that someone takes the time to represent the true "little guys" in the field and you did it with enthusiasm.
Thank you for the time and effort that went in to producing a great product for RDG and myself :)

Good luck on any future hobbies & endeavors

Well, that's too bad. I was hoping to see some great, competitive disc golf from an Ohio native and the first MVP sponsor :(. Plus his instructional videos were quite helpful and something I always referenced.

Oh well...

I took 4 years off because of the same reason, playing all the time wore on me. Playing tourneys made it feel like a job and ultimately turned me off of DG, coincidently I turned to mountain biking and found my new passion for those years. I can absolutely agree with MikeC about that passion making you happy...I loved it, but now i'm back into DG. But don't let that fool, I have multiple hobbies...hunting, fishing, camping, traveling...and DG still goes on and off even now. But I don't take it as seriously as I used to and that seems to keep me sustained "passion-wise".

I get the burnout factor 100%, it's happened to me too. But you can quit without taking all of your content down. Some of those videos are some of the best intructionals vids out there, and it sucks that we don't have access to that information any more.

I get the burnout factor 100%, it's happened to me too. But you can quit without taking all of your content down. Some of those videos are some of the best intructionals vids out there, and it sucks that we don't have access to that information any more.

So true, makes me wonder if what he was saying is true or just lip service to not piss people off. I mean, you're right...why take all that down unless based on his explanation of why he left the sport? Surely something else must be at play here...

Don't worry, a lot of people were on DGR and have that information. Just a matter of time before it gets reintroduced.

I said more in the pm, but I also want to publicly thank Mike for all the work he did for us, filming many hours of footage, giving advice here, and doing so much for not only MVP, but for the game of disc golf as well.

Enjoy life, Mike...wherever it takes you.

I understand getting burnt out, but definitely over dramatic and like previously stated it doesn't make sense to take down all of his videos. O well his life, just seems strange.

I took 4 years off because of the same reason, playing all the time wore on me. Playing tourneys made it feel like a job and ultimately turned me off of DG, coincidently I turned to mountain biking and found my new passion for those years. I can absolutely agree with MikeC about that passion making you happy...I loved it, but now i'm back into DG. But don't let that fool, I have multiple hobbies...hunting, fishing, camping, traveling...and DG still goes on and off even now. But I don't take it as seriously as I used to and that seems to keep me sustained "passion-wise".

Same story here, I used to be pretty heavy into the local tourney scene. Over time, the slow rate of play became unbearable, I have rampant ADHD, so stagnation is pretty much torture for me. I eventually started to become burnt out. The straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, was when someone broke into my vehicle and stole my loaded disc bag. I was more or less "over" the sport at that point in time. After a few months away from the game, I started to get that itch, I am talking full-on chicken pox, man. I had dreams about lacing huge putts and shaping flex lines through heavy tree cover. I would daydream about aces and birdie saves. I would reminisce about the discs I used to own, and the people that I met while throwing them. I knew at that point I could not turn my back on the game. I made the transition to rec bum. I have fun with the game, and the game has fun with me. There is not much better of a feeling than throwing on a calm day, on a picturesque course with a few close friends. Steady Ed said it best, "Whoever has the most fun, wins". I am the effin' world champ by that philosophy. Once something isn't fun anymore, you need to take time away from it. If you are anything like me, you will have no choice but to come back. I did not know Mike very well, but he seemed like a good guy who wore his heart on his sleeve, passionate dude for sure, he just needs to do as I did and take a break, figure out if there is anything about the game that brings him joy. I still play the occasional tourney, and get down on local leagues, but "the spirit of the game" truly becomes evoked when enjoying the sport with people you care about, quote me on that.

Last edited:
54884d3998f2d00004ac9963_strike-a-pose.gif

Yeah, but, and I may be wrong here, but I thought MikeC played in very few tournaments at all?

Yup. No real need to take down the videos. Disable commenting if you can't handle the trolls, but no real need to take the vids down.

Now that's just plain funny. :clap:

I recommend leaving the videos up. Even if Mike is done with the sport, I don't think it is necessary to take them down. Look at it as a parting gift for people who have enjoyed, been helped, and will be helped by his videos.