• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird vs Thunderbird

podskiii

Par Member
Hi, I have a question.

At the moment I bag 1 Champion Teebird, 1 Gstar Teebird, and 1 Star Teebird. My Star Teebird is very OS and the others are stable. However I really love all of my Teebirds and I would never replace these with any disc. I haven't measured how far I throw a Teebird and I don't really have the chance at the moment, I won't have the chance to throw for 14 days.

My next step up from a Teebird is a S-line DDX and a Star Destroyer.. DDX gives me much more turn compared to my Destroyers, I know these kinda overlaps but I'm planning on replacing my Destroyers with a Luster DDX. I have measured how far I throw my "big distanse" shots. My DDX and Destroyers are very similar, I can throw these 9 out of 10 times around 350+ feet. On good days and I can reach 380 feet. I'm wondering if there is any reason for me to buy a Thunderbird or will it just overlap my Teebird considering my arm speed?

There is a hole on the course I play which has a wide open fairway, but after 280-295 feet I reach the woods. This "wood" has a bit of a low ceiling and the hole is around 330 feet. The basket is placed in this wooded area, I'm trying to throw low shots in order to get into the woods and maybe birdie it by getting inside the woods or hope for a skip. There is a mando on this hole, and my disc has to pass the mando on the left side. The issue I have with throwing a Destroyer or a DDX that I tend to go OB. The disc get high speed turn and I tend to pass the mando on the wrong side before it fades.

I'm not only thinking about this hole in general, but I'm thinking in if I can use a Thunderbird to replace some of my distance shots or if it will just overlap my Teebird and maybe get me 15 feet extra distance?

Suggestions are appreciated :)

I bag both. Thundy is better when you really need to keep a low line and penetrate or holding hyzer while still pushing forward. Teebird for any other situations.

Hi, I have a question.

At the moment I bag 1 Champion Teebird, 1 Gstar Teebird, and 1 Star Teebird. My Star Teebird is very OS and the others are stable. However I really love all of my Teebirds and I would never replace these with any disc. I haven't measured how far I throw a Teebird and I don't really have the chance at the moment, I won't have the chance to throw for 14 days.

My next step up from a Teebird is a S-line DDX and a Star Destroyer.. DDX gives me much more turn compared to my Destroyers, I know these kinda overlaps but I'm planning on replacing my Destroyers with a Luster DDX. I have measured how far I throw my "big distanse" shots. My DDX and Destroyers are very similar, I can throw these 9 out of 10 times around 350+ feet. On good days and I can reach 380 feet. I'm wondering if there is any reason for me to buy a Thunderbird or will it just overlap my Teebird considering my arm speed?

There is a hole on the course I play which has a wide open fairway, but after 280-295 feet I reach the woods. This "wood" has a bit of a low ceiling and the hole is around 330 feet. The basket is placed in this wooded area, I'm trying to throw low shots in order to get into the woods and maybe birdie it by getting inside the woods or hope for a skip. There is a mando on this hole, and my disc has to pass the mando on the left side. The issue I have with throwing a Destroyer or a DDX that I tend to go OB. The disc get high speed turn and I tend to pass the mando on the wrong side before it fades.

I'm not only thinking about this hole in general, but I'm thinking in if I can use a Thunderbird to replace some of my distance shots or if it will just overlap my Teebird and maybe get me 15 feet extra distance?

Suggestions are appreciated :)

Yup, thunderbird will definitely fill a spot in your bag. You may not see a BIG difference in distance between them and your teebirds, but they will fight wind quite a bit better and definitely have a long forward hyper/skip. They are not so beefy that they can't be thrown, but definitely fight wind really well. The thunderbird is also my go to for spike hyzers. I'll pick it up for that shot before my destroyer 9/10 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bag both as well. If your OS Teebird is shorter than your straighter Teebirds, the Thunderbird will give you more distance comparatively and with similar stability and a more sweeping fade. I still throw glidey Teebirds as far or farther than the Thunderbird. But the Thunderbird does handle low ceiling power shots a bit better, and will give you more push on the ground on these shots. In the open it holds hyzers a bit better for me, it's great for glidey placement hyzers. It also ignores mild to moderate wind very well. Also I find it easier to throw on a power forehand a bit farther than an OS Teebird.

For me it took away some OS Teebird shots as it handles wind better and holds a hyzer well. It also took away some Destroyer hyzer shots, since I could get a similar distance but with less finish/skip, whereas a beefy Destroyer would be on more of a pure hyzer/spike line. I wouldn't expect it to gain you a ton of distance between Teebird and Destroyer at your power level, but I do think it could take over some shots from both of those discs and you'll likely end up using it a lot. If you like Teebirds you'll like Thunderbirds I think. I enjoy throwing Teebirds more for fun/practice, they are dead straight and glidey, but I reach for the Thunderbird way more than I expected on the course.

This is for a Champ Thunderbird anyways. I think they fly well in that plastic. I haven't thrown any recent/brand new ones though.

There will be extremely limited uses for the thunderbird at your (and my) power level. A low ceiling or maybe a headwind will be the only times you would really need a thunderbird, but if you don't think you can cover those shots with your teebird or destroyer then go ahead and throw one in. The distance between a teebird and thunderbird at your distance will be very marginal.

I have no problem keeping both in because the Thunderbird can be made to do a little bit more than a Teebird. It also will (mostly) find where it needs to go, and doesn't seem to mind wind too much.
I (just) have an AJ star edition, so I'm not sure what all the Teebird can do across its plastics. The AJ seems to have a smoother and more flowing flight than the Thunderbird. The speed probably does that, and it's domier than the Thunderbird. I can shape a lot more shots with the Thunderbird than I can with the TB. But. It's also pro plastic and seasoned more, and 6 grams lighter.

Thunderbirds are a good leap in speed & stability from Teebirds. I rarely throw anything above a speed 9 driver because I just get so much more consistency from them. It's a good idea to at least test that gap between your Teebirds & 12 speeds.

Very few ams 'need' a speed 12. Climo said that he could barely throw a Destroyer.
The Thunderbird will be a better disc. Put it in. If you still feel that you need something faster, try a Wraith or Pro R Starfire.

Last edited:
I keep both in my bag in DX plastic. A seasoned DX Teebird is a thing of beauty, and a Thunderbird in the first DX they molded it in provides a mildly OS counterpart. I need to give more time to the Champ/Star Thunderbirds I've got sitting around and see what they can do.

I think it's fine to have something that bridges the gap between speeds like that. You can get similar distance out of a thunderbird on a lower line, and being able to do that has it's uses for sure. You could likely use it as a control driver, but most of them are a little too overstable for your arm speed (and let's be honest, mine also) so you might still look to having something lighter/less high speed stable for longer distance shots.

I'm a big fan of both the Teebird and Thunderbird. I don't bag a Thunderbird currently, but I do have a champ Teebird in there.

Obviously I use the Teebird for drives that are just too long for a mid. For me the Teebird is a very consistent, straight 350'-375'.

To get a Thunderbird in the bag I'd have to probably ditch my champion Starfire. For me the champ Thunderbird and Starfire are too similar to need both in the bag. For a speed 9 the Thunderbird is surprisingly long and assertive. Basically the same line as a Teebird, but faster, longer, and with better glide.

I think the Thunderbird is more a distance driver than a fairway driver.

In summary, the Thunderbird and Teebird have very similar flights. Straight, with little to no high speed turn. Being 2 speeds faster, the Thunderbird goes about 40' more for me than a Teebird. Both are extremely consistent performers in calm conditions or wind. I think both molds have room in any player's bag.

Very few ams 'need' a speed 12. Climo said that he could barely throw a Destroyer.
The Thunderbird will be a better disc. Put it in. If you still feel that you need something faster, try a Wraith or Pro R Starfire.

Part of me agrees with this, and part of me doesn't. There are enough flippy speed 12 and above drivers out there that pretty much anyone can throw them. I'm not saying people with weak arms SHOULD throw fast drivers, but sometimes a Nuke SS really can provide a bunch of extra yardage for someone who throws 325' and is looking for 30' extra.

Destroyers are probably too much disc for anyone with under 375' max distance. You won't come close to seeing the disc's potential unless you throw pretty hard and get some flex out of it. That said, I know a million guys use Destroyers who probably don't crack 300' on a regular basis. They buy the disc because its popular and everyone throws it.

Something like a Tern can easily be managed by anyone with 300' or above power. So I guess my point is, guys who throw short probably shouldn't throw fast drivers, but they will anyway. Fast, understable drivers provide very real, easy distance. I don't really think it'll make guys better players to throw such discs, but they will anyway. The accuracy and consistency with those discs can by iffy at best, however.

A Thunderbird is a decent compromise for someone who wants decent distance, but doesn't like/want a wide rim. I've personally thrown Thunderbirds 400' numerous times. That's not my max distance by any means, but its pretty damn long for a speed 9 disc. My only thought is that a Thunderbird would be too much disc for anyone who throws under 350'. I guess in that case there's always the Valk.

Last edited:
Part of me agrees with this, and part of me doesn't. There are enough flippy speed 12 and above drivers out there that pretty much anyone can throw them. I'm not saying people with weak arms SHOULD throw fast drivers, but sometimes a Nuke SS really can provide a bunch of extra yardage for someone who throws 325' and is looking for 30' extra.

Destroyers are probably too much disc for anyone with under 375' max distance. You won't come close to seeing the disc's potential unless you throw pretty hard and get some flex out of it. That said, I know a million guys use Destroyers who probably don't crack 300' on a regular basis. They buy the disc because its popular and everyone throws it.

Something like a Tern can easily be managed by anyone with 300' or above power. So I guess my point is, guys who throw short probably shouldn't throw fast drivers, but they will anyway. Fast, understable drivers provide very real, easy distance. I don't really think it'll make guys better players to throw such discs, but they will anyway. The accuracy and consistency with those discs can by iffy at best, however.

A Thunderbird is a decent compromise for someone who wants decent distance, but doesn't like/want a wide rim. I've personally thrown Thunderbirds 400' numerous times. That's not my max distance by any means, but its pretty damn long for a speed 9 disc. My only thought is that a Thunderbird would be too much disc for anyone who throws under 350'. I guess in that case there's always the Valk.

I pretty much agree with you. I'd say for anyone who throws under 350 max D, they probably don't need anything between a Teebird and a Tern. Teebirds are going to be a little more mellow and less dumpy at that power level, so probably easier to control than Thunderbirds. In fact, they might be able to throw a Teebird further than a Thunderbird at that power level, definitely further than a Star Thunderbird, which would act more like a Firebird for them. I suppose a lighter GStar or Pro Thunderbird might work as well as a Teebird, but I doubt it would get them a lot more distance at that power level.

I bag both discs and they do not overlap. For reference, my arm speed is similar to your arm speed and I get about a good 25-30 more feet with my thunderbirds than I do with a teebird. I bag a star teebird and a pro thunderbird fwiw. The star thunderbirds were too overstable for me and overlapped with my felons. I never threw them, but a pro thunderbird is a very underrated disc.

I pretty much agree with you. I'd say for anyone who throws under 350 max D, they probably don't need anything between a Teebird and a Tern. Teebirds are going to be a little more mellow and less dumpy at that power level, so probably easier to control than Thunderbirds. In fact, they might be able to throw a Teebird further than a Thunderbird at that power level, definitely further than a Star Thunderbird, which would act more like a Firebird for them. I suppose a lighter GStar or Pro Thunderbird might work as well as a Teebird, but I doubt it would get them a lot more distance at that power level.

Yeah, I figure you need at least 350' consistent D to get anything out of a Thunderbird. Those things can handle a huge rip without flipping. They don't seem to perform well on soft throws.

I don't think Teebirds and Thunderbirds overlap, but I do agree the Thunderbird is the harder of the two to throw the way its meant to be thrown (flat, 350'+).

A Thunderbird is a good disc to work up to for a beginner.

Terns (IMO) can be used as an understable disc for anyone who throws 400' or less. Above 400' they get really iffy and flippy. Going Teebird-Tern for drivers for a beginner would probably work just fine.

Last edited:
I'm bagging a Pro Thunderbird right now because one of the holes on my home course had its basket moved to a back position that is right in my Thunderbird's wheelhouse: uphill, back left, behind a cedar tree. My Thunderbird fades right around that cedar tree. (The other basket position is closer, on the right side, and in my Leopard3's wheelhouse.)

So for that reason, I have the Pro Thunderbird in my bag. If they move the basket, I might take the ThBird out and put in another disc to meet the different course conditions.

On a side note, it sounds like the guy who posted this initially probably does have enough power to throw a Thunderbird well. I'd say give it a try. If you end up not liking it you can trade or sell it.

Latest posts