• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

Based on other posts by Andy I don't think his post was at all directed at you mance. He's just looking for a very average player, who will admit they are very average, to comment on the Stag. Of course I could be wrong. He could be booking a flight to Sweden as I type to hunt you down and give you a wet willie.

Haha yeah but when i re-read my post it sounded like i was the king of throwers... not the case.. just wanted to clear things up :)

heres one...

I have 2x VIP's...

174g Orange
171 Diamon Red (regular red?) :p

So my comparison will be against my orange 173g Teebird... and all I can say... its the same **** for me except you get more glide with the stag... nothing more, nothing less. It's an excellent straight glider for weaker arms that need that extra length.

I threw it a couple of times in in 20-25mph headwind (around 10m/s) and it was all over the place for my 400ft forehand... but then again... so is the teebird.

My best explenation, to not complicate things... It's like a teebird with extra glide... out of the box, I think it has a tad more turn for powerful throwers. Less power, you wont see a difference.

exactly what i expected. anther tbird, rival, ascent, slightly tweaked.

Based on other posts by Andy I don't think his post was at all directed at you mance. He's just looking for a very average player, who will admit they are very average, to comment on the Stag. Of course I could be wrong. He could be booking a flight to Sweden as I type to hunt you down and give you a wet willie.

Haha..you're right threevok, not about the wet Willie part....I'm deplorably average and was just trying to see if anyone of my skill level has thrown it yet. Not tying to *directly* insult anyone. I know there's lots of players of my skill level on here who are dead honest about it, just seeing id they've thrown it yet.

Baw ... I was hoping for a straight early flight with a HARD hook late in flight. There seems to be a lot of fairways that have high turn/high fade or low turn/low fade or high turn/low fade, but very few with low turn/high fade unless you run to the extremes of Banshee/Trident/Whippet, etc.

I really wanted this disc to fit an imaginary spot in my bag, it may not be so. I swear this is the toughest slot to fill.

Baw ... I was hoping for a straight early flight with a HARD hook late in flight. There seems to be a lot of fairways that have high turn/high fade or low turn/low fade or high turn/low fade, but very few with low turn/high fade unless you run to the extremes of Banshee/Trident/Whippet, etc.

I really wanted this disc to fit an imaginary spot in my bag, it may not be so. I swear this is the toughest slot to fill.

You might have to settle for powering down a seasoned distance driver. That's what I do for that sort of shot. Or an Eagle x.

I went for a round yesterday I was trying out my Stags a bit and I really like them so far. It was pretty windy, so have yet to try them in calm conditions. They are very very glidey. Therefore I found the fade to be more subtle than "3" as how it is descriptioned. I think with glide like that you can't have such a strong finish. It always did fade though.
It seemed to be good with moderate headwind. It's pretty much what I expected, just that the fade is not as strong as I thought but it's there.
But again, I don't have a lot of experience with them yet but I do like them a lot.

I agree on the fade not being "3".. Dont know if its because of that glide you dont experience an instant fade... Instead you get a slow transitioning forward fade.

Dunno how how it compares to a striker... But i find describing flights hard and comparing... I would say its almost like a cross-over between a saint and a teebird if that helps. Teebird dominant in flight characteristics (first 50% of flight) and saint in distance + fade (last 50% of flight)... Does that make sense?

I don't know if it's just me, being that i'm a decided-ly average player, but I definitely feel the 0,3 flight/fade numbers. The only really OS disc I have to compare it to is my Forehand Boatman, but it does finish short and left of that disc.

If anyone has had a chance to throw a sub 164 Stag I would love to hear a review. I'm figuring those that bought that light have what we call "Mendoza line" power. My Saints and eco star Teebirds are 147-163. Website says these would be available down to 160. Were any seen that light? Not sure why they don't make more at the light end. They always seem to sell out first and are coveted.

/rambling post.

Website says these would be available down to 160. Were any seen that light? Not sure why they don't make more at the light end. They always seem to sell out first and are coveted.

Ditto on not seeing any below 167. I'm also a fan of throwing lower 160s (which can be a frustrating preference), so I've had my eye out.

I might email Westside to ask how common these weights will be in their new drivers; Underworld is supposed to be available down to 160 or so, too.

Thanks for the replies folks. To clarify my "Mendoza" reference I throw farther than 200'.

I'm 60 yrs old, not dead.

:D

Wow, thanks for the info ManU!! Btw who is your favorite Red Devil? I'm torn between Vidic, Valencia and Cleverly.

Last edited:
I threw it today at league and this disc was far more understable than I had hoped. Mine is a 169 tp so maybe when my 174 VIP shows up it will be more what I was expecting. This disc has about the same stability as my 167 GL Saint. It stands up, starts going right, and never comes back. I was really hoping for a slower PD. I was putting out 375' consistently. Nice disc, just not what I was expecting. For reference I was surprised at how low the parting line was on mine, maybe that is why it was understable.

Latest posts