• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

I didn't buy mine for it's fade, my Opto Saint has a healthy amount of that already. I bought the Stag 'hopefully' for its wind fighting abilities which the Saint does not possess. If the HSS is similar to the Opto Saint then it probably won't make the bag.

Mine should be coming tomorrow but with snow on the ground, proper field testing won't happen for a while.

Anybody able to compare these to Rivals?

I bought a 173g TP at a tournament over the weekend because my Pinnacle Rival was getting a little too flippy for me when throwing into a headwind. It was exactly what I was looking for.

As a direct comparison to the Rival, I'd say it is a touch faster with higher HSS and lower LSS. One of the straightest discs I've thrown.

I bought a 173g TP at a tournament over the weekend because my Pinnacle Rival was getting a little too flippy for me when throwing into a headwind. It was exactly what I was looking for.

As a direct comparison to the Rival, I'd say it is a touch faster with higher HSS and lower LSS. One of the straightest discs I've thrown.

How about a comparison to a Teebird, since we are in the same realm of fairway drivers here.

Are we talking 11x KC pro Teebird stability? Or maybe a bit more stability? My Rival is a like a speed 7.5 TB to me, and my Escape is like a speed 10-10.5 TB to me.

If I can get an 11x TB in the Opto/VIP plastic I would die. Like literally die. :)

How about a comparison to a Teebird, since we are in the same realm of fairway drivers here.

Got about an hour and half worth of field work in with mine today. I have a heavy VIP. I threw it with a saint and a teebird for comparison. It is definitely more stable than my star teebird and the opto saint. It's very similar to both but the fade is different. It's a very abrupt hard fade at the end of a long straight flight. Will it turn if you crank it?...a tad. Does it fight wind?...no.

Got about an hour and half worth of field work in with mine today. I have a heavy VIP. I threw it with a saint and a teebird for comparison. It is definitely more stable than my star teebird and the opto saint. It's very similar to both but the fade is different. It's a very abrupt hard fade at the end of a long straight flight. Will it turn if you crank it?...a tad. Does it fight wind?...no.

Thats basically what i've noticed in my continues testing, but wanted someone else to put out some feedback... Nice to see consistency in the discs.

i have a white with blue stamp will anyone trade for a white with red stamp??? around 170 please mine is 172 i believe the lighter the better for me

i have a white with blue stamp will anyone trade for a white with red stamp??? around 170 please mine is 172 i believe the lighter the better for me

I have a yellow 170 coming in today that I would probably trade for your white, seeing as that is what I ordered in the first place

I would agree with the statements that it is not a wind fighter per se

it is better at that than the Saint
and is more likely to come back than a Saint
but if facing a decent wind and thrown flat or anhyzer it will hold a turn/that line for a while

but you can face decent headwinds with the Stag with a touch of hyzer

that kind of release gets you a flip up and an awesomely straight flight and decent fade

if I tried that kind of shot with a Saint I would have a flip up and over

I still say that the Saint and Stag should pair very well together in a bag

Got a few throws with mine today...169g Tournament Plastic, Gold color. Very comfortable in the hand, and it does feel a bit like an Eagle, which isn't a bad thing. Thrown with a tailwind, that thing was just gone. My first throw I muscled it too much and got a nice worm burning roller, but after that I realized I shouldn't be trying to murder the damn thing. With the tailwind, it was straight right out of the hand, but I noticed mine not having a good forward fade. It didn't dive bomb, but it didn't go gently either. I thought it might be me not getting up to speed, but I was getting over 300 feet with it on no run-up, so I don't think that is the case.

Headwind shots were much different. As stated by ManU, it is not a wind fighter like a more OS disc would be. Rather, thrown low into a headwind, it would catch the wind and begin a big turn. I figured it was gone, but it actually started it's fade and still ended up more or less online with my release point. Majority of the time, it was still to the right but by no more than a few feet.

it's a good, glidey disc, and I like it's feel, but it's nothing I don't already have in the bag. So it'll sit out for now, but if you're looking for a glidier worked Teebird, this could be a good option for you.

Thanks for the rundown, Andy. Sorry to hear the Stag isn't more of a wind fighter, even though I wasn't expecting it to be with all that glide. Still, I'd be great to have a disc with more fade than my Rivers that took less effort than my Banshees, and it sounds like the Stag is that in spades. So I could still make use of it for sure.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to start off with a VIP or a Tourney - maybe a VIP, for that little extra bit of muscle.

So heres my rundown for the slot the Stag would fill for my 2013 line up.

with all the discs I have in my bag atm they all perform well when I crank them with alot of power... the Stag dosnt perform well under pressure, or at least not if you want it to be an over-stable driver.

the more I play with it, the more i feel its like a midrange instead of a fairway driver... the more i've been playing with it, the more i've noticed it will fight the slot where my Pain is atm. It really is a nice stable "midrange" that performs well with that 50-80%-power-aiming shots for me. I still dont know if that is something I want or need... But I would say thats the slot I would give it.

it is a "new" disc for me... I havnt thrown anything like it before... but it is nice, and its easy to predict after playing with it for a day or two.

I'm not exactly sure if I just lucked out and got the 'ALPHA STAG' or if everyone in this thread lives somewhere with gale force hurricane winds.

Maybe it's because I live in southern California and our wind can be categorized as playful at best, but my Stag will always go straight out long, then come back predictably left, no matter what California wind has tried to throw at it thus far.

I will say that I did crank the everloving **** out of it at La Mirada yesterday and it went right for the first time in it's short life before still fading left and landing basically straight from where I was throwing.

I'm not exactly sure if I just lucked out and got the 'ALPHA STAG' or if everyone in this thread lives somewhere with gale force hurricane winds.

Westside should totally release a more OS compliment to the Stag and call it the Alpha Stag. Or maybe they secretly just threw a few out there in the "herd."

Edit: More seriously, it's nice to hear that it isn't decidedly helpless in the wind (not that that's what everyone's been saying; just nice to hear an alternate experience).

What plastic was your Stag in?

170g VIP.

I'd also like to add that since I saw someone from a colder region say they were not thrilled with this run of VIP, here in the sunshine it feels amazingly gummy and flexible

the people that have the really stable Stag. What colour is it... is it flat or very domey?

Latest posts