• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

I love my DX Banshee - it is a tad beaten in, and probably a fair bit less overstable than a new Stag, no?

I wonder if the Air Stag and Air Giant are flippy like my Air King was? My TP King was pretty neutral/stable but the Ari would just turn and not come back. If the Air Stag is a little less OS I might find it more useful, honestly.

Last edited:
Finally got to throw my Stag today. Only had a few good holes to throw it on, but at right around 300' of distance it behaves like a Teebird. Threw it into so e mild headwinds and it didn't turn or react at all. For less skilled throwers it should be a decent headwind disc. Hurricane force may knock it down some, but it has a straight path with a healthy fade for me. I'll try to do some field work, and forcibly anny it to see how it reacts.

Finally got to throw my Stag today. Only had a few good holes to throw it on, but at right around 300' of distance it behaves like a Teebird. Threw it into so e mild headwinds and it didn't turn or react at all. For less skilled throwers it should be a decent headwind disc. Hurricane force may knock it down some, but it has a straight path with a healthy fade for me. I'll try to do some field work, and forcibly anny it to see how it reacts.

What plastic did you get it in?

Hello max weight VIP stag!!! Finally got a chance to throw mine today. This is the first and last time ill say this about a disc, but this is a glidey tbird. Thrown flat goes straight for 330' then fades out dependably for a 350' throw. Would definately say this thing is a 8/6/0/2. I just love how unless thrown with oat or on an anny line, I don't get turn out of this thing, and again, on a 350' throw. Of course it helps that its a pearly pink stag just like my pearly z pred. Can't wait to get more field work with it.

I threw my buddy Steves VIP 159g today and it was vastly different than my TP for sure. For one, it has quite a bit more glide, which is kind of odd. If you've ever played at Widefield, I threw from the junction box past the practice basket and hit the street! Its only about 300 feet but I went much farther than I intended and it still had plenty of room to carry as ot was just coming down when it hit street.

It also fought the wind a tad bit better than my TP, but still not as good as my Teebird. It would get a lot of turn into the headwind, but would still fight back a tad. Almost an unintentional turnover shot, which was similar to my TP. As for Steve himself, he always gets more distance than me, but he recently had shoulder surgery. Throwing with his opposite hand, he was still getting up to 300 foot laser beams. The fade on it was still pretty abrupt, just like my TP, but much less when kept low.

For that, I stand by my original assesmwnt that this is a decent replacement for a Teebird, and would be totally killer on tight, wooded fairway's when kept low. The additional glide gives it better carry on low lines than a Teebird or a Rival. Similar to a Saint, I would think. I would even feel fairly comfortable giving a lighter weight Stag to a newer player, providing they have some basic understanding of fade.

It also fought the wind a tad bit better than my TP, but still not as good as my Teebird.

Were you throwing a 180g Teebird against that 159g Stag or something?

I threw a 170g Star Teebird against my 170g VIP Stag (couldn't find a champ TB to test it against) and the Stag fought the wind considerably better.

That being said, though the Star Teebird didn't perform so well fighting wind, in a tailwind it got basically as far as the Stag, so...

Both Stags Ive thrown (159g VIP and 165g TP) were crap in the wind. Well, I shouldn't say that. Into a headwind, they flew just like an Eagle-L. Lots of turn, but still some fade. Any sort of OAT and it would immediately become a roller. I'm talking very stiff headwinds. Big gusts, and my 176g Star and Echo Star Teebirds out performed them everytime.

Both Stags Ive thrown (159g VIP and 165g TP) were crap in the wind. Well, I shouldn't say that. Into a headwind, they flew just like an Eagle-L. Lots of turn, but still some fade. Any sort of OAT and it would immediately become a roller. I'm talking very stiff headwinds. Big gusts, and my 176g Star and Echo Star Teebirds out performed them everytime.

Well there you go.

that Stag is VIP Air, and you put up a TP 10 grams lighter than your TBs.

(I've never thrown a TP Stag though, so they could be crap in wind unlike my 170g VIP)

That's what I thought was weird. The VIP Stag that my buddy had was really light, but no air bubbles and not marked VIP Air, so it led me to wonder why they needed Air Stags at all? Or how about those Air Warships? Those are kind of goofy.

Either way, I wouldn't consider the Stag a true wind-fighter, just like I wouldn't consider a Teebird a wind-fighter. I think they are both very controllable in the wind, just like an Eagle or a Saint. Though, in order (again, my experience here) I would go: Saint-Teebird-Stag-Eagle X -Eagle L in order of "fighting" the wind.

I guess re-reading my posts I sounded a bit harsh on the old Stag. I do think its a good discs, and even into the gnalry winds we were facing yesterday it never turned to the point of not coming back. Once I got a handle on its flight path, it was easy to control.

I think I've figured out that the way the FR Stag's really shine is a heavy VIP version. I've heard too many mixed results on the TP.

My suggestion for those who want to try a Stag or are unhappy with their current one, is to figure out the max weight of a disc you can/like to throw (for most it's 180g for me 175g) and get a VIP plastic Stag in that weight. That being said, I think I'll pick up a 175g VIP to match my 170g

I didn't read the whole thread, but from what I gather these are pretty stable, yes? I'm throwing a Rival right now for that spot in my bag, but the plastic is just so hard. Not really my thing. So, would a heavy VIP Stag be a suitable replacement for the Rival?

Rival has more wiggle to it than the VIP Stag in my (limited) experience. AKA more turn.

Latest posts