• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

It seems like "smooth" is the key word with the stag. Now if I could only figure out the underworld...

I would liken the VIP Stag to a Champ Gazelle with way better glide but more nose sensitivity and less ability to fight a headwind. And being in N IL means its got to be good in those situations.
I would give it a 8 6 -0.5 2. (Comparison I would giver a Champ Glo Gazelle 7 5 0 2).
I like it alot dont get me wrong. I think it will be a great in the woods driver as it takes little amount of effort to put it on any line. I am just not sure if it is better than my Gazelle overall. I get better distance with the Stag. The Gazelle has a overall more straighter flight. I think I may need to take them to a higher caliber course than my local to see which has a higher percentage.
I need to do this with the River and Leopard as well, though I think this has already been decided. Less effort better lines with the River....and tailwind distance is almost on par with the Valkyrie.

Lol. Anyways I picked up a 174 TP Stag with winnings a few days ago and it seems slightly stable but sensitive to wind. I couldn't really dial into it like I expected. I'll report back after a few rounds.

In Europe they use commas in place of periods for decimals.

which is one of them dumbest things in the world. I can remember reading some science papers and getting completely and totally confused with the coma nightmare. decimal points are so much cleaner.

I have had better luck with the Boatman as a windy day driver than the Stag so far. I know Westside lists the Boatman as a distance driver but its realy easy to control so I use it in tight places when the wind picks up as much as I do in the open. The Stag is a little more sensitive than I had expected based on comments made by testers. For me its only been a little more stable than the Saint. The Underword has probably been my favorite its like a slightly beat River. So it doesnt overlap with the Saint at all. I do not have a big arm so I dont keep wide rimmed distance drivers in my bag. I am leaning towards a linup of Boatman, Saint, and Underworld for driving duties.

Maybe my Stag results on testing were skewed by the fact that Calgary is at a bit of altitude.

Anyway I'll stick by what I found that for me the Saint and Stag were similar but had different HSS and LSS

but let's be fair, there probably isn't much to choose between the Saint, Stag and Escape (or is it Fugitive? Whichever is DDs fairway disc)

I was surprised at how stable the Saint actually is. Especially when compared to the Stag. Saint kind of flew like a River but capable of holding more speed.
I definitely see a big difference in the Saint and Stag. The Escape I picked up must be junk, cause it is flippy nuts.

What weight, color, and plastic did you get for your Escape. My 172g is very stable.

173g "cranberry" translucent and domey Lucid. But I think I have finally learned how to buy Lat plastic now. I could see where it could fly great if you could hand pick them. Lets just say color doesnt mean anything. I dont want competition haha.

Have played two rounds with a 171 VIP Stag in my bag, and I'm still not quite sure what to think.

My best current comparison is that it flies like a beat DX Banshee with a bit more turn - I'd put the HSS/LSS at -.5/2.25 or so. It has a gradual, extended fade for me, especially when throw with a bit of hyzer, and performs spike hyzers well, but definitely doesn't fade in the realm of a fresh Banshee. I have a newbie's arm, maxing out at a little over 300', so I definitely don't have the power that others have on here. That said, my VIP doesn't turn for me the way that it has for others. Still, it's definitely more US than advertised.

Still trying to get a sense of whether I prefer it to a Banshee. Doesn't seem like I'd want to keep both in the bag. It's more effortless than the Banshee, which I like, and which I think pairs better with Underworlds and Comets, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of difference otherwise. Perhaps how it handles a stiff wind will be the biggest test.

All i know is that my 175g vip is exactly what i wanted and hoped for. Glidey overstable compliment to my rivers and saints. I have predators in my bag if i want that hard fade that handles any wind, which for some reason is what everyone "expected" of this. But hey, to each their own. Ive said it once and ill say it again...if you are dissapointed with your lighter tp stag and want to give it another shot, get a stag in heavy/max vip plastic. Two different discs imo.

I think a 170-172 VIP Stag would be what my DX Banshee was the first 3-5 times i threw it. ;)

I think a 170-172 VIP Stag would be what my DX Banshee was the first 3-5 times i threw it. ;)

I have to say that I've been amazed with how well DX Banshees age. I'm no fan of base plastic, frankly, save for putting, but my uber-beat 7 month old Banshee is only just beginning to have any tendency to turn at all, and still scoffs at all wind. Those suckers fade, and they fade hard.

I have to say that I've been amazed with how well DX Banshees age. I'm no fan of base plastic, frankly, save for putting, but my uber-beat 7 month old Banshee is only just beginning to have any tendency to turn at all, and still scoffs at all wind. Those suckers fade, and they fade hard.

Don't get me wrong, love the disc my Banshee has become, and it still fights the wind pretty well. A meat-hook it ain't though.

Sounds like Stag isn't much of a meathook for most folks either, but for my rubber arm, I'm sure it would be. Heck a C-FD is for me unless I really nail it.

Doing some distance work. Really got ahold of my Trespass today for my longest measured throw to date 390. Sitting 5 ft behind it... My STAG. Teebirds are gone from my bag. Fairways are beat escape, new escape, and stag.

I have a 147g opto Air Saint and a 172g Gl Saint, Thinking about getting a Stag possibly, is there any room for it? Any suggestions welcome, tp/vip light/heavy? go.

Latest posts