• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Tell me about your Stag...

I have a 147g opto Air Saint and a 172g Gl Saint, Thinking about getting a Stag possibly, is there any room for it? Any suggestions welcome, tp/vip light/heavy? go.

JoeBob, if you wanna try a stag, figure out what the max weight YOU like to have drivers in, and get it in VIP.

They make the disc heavier, but I don't really like drivers over 170g. So I bought a 170g VIP Stag and it's everything I hoped it to be.

I wouldn't get one any lighter than the heaviest weight that you feel comfortable throwing, and based on what I've read, I wouldn't even touch one in Tournament.

I have a max weight TP stag and I have no issues with its flight pattern.

If I release it flat, it goes straight forward with a predictable fade at the end. If I throw it with hyzer, it holds the hyzer line the entire way. If thrown with an hyzer, it holds that line until it slows down and fades out.

I would liken the VIP Stag to a Champ Gazelle with way better glide but more nose sensitivity and less ability to fight a headwind. And being in N IL means its got to be good in those situations.
I would give it a 8 6 -0.5 2. (Comparison I would giver a Champ Glo Gazelle 7 5 0 2).
I like it alot dont get me wrong. I think it will be a great in the woods driver as it takes little amount of effort to put it on any line. I am just not sure if it is better than my Gazelle overall. I get better distance with the Stag. The Gazelle has a overall more straighter flight. I think I may need to take them to a higher caliber course than my local to see which has a higher percentage.

im actually finding myself reaching for the stag more and more over the gazelle. its definitely a sensitive disc but once you learn it more it becomes very easy to throw. I basically have been throwing it like a River and getting a nice super straight with slight fade flight. And I am not concerned about its headwind ability, I use a OLF in that situation in with the gazelles. What I do enjoy most is the lack of effort it takes to make it fly 300' nuts straight. Slight over Putter drive strength gets it there. This has definitely approved my point of release too. I think this disc will do extremely well in tight woods once I am used to it.

Played 2 rounds in the nicest Northern Illinois weather all year yesterday. I was loving my 172 TP Stag. Yes, it has a touch of turn into a headwind, but the fade is nice and reliable. It's easy to throw this disc far with a nice smooth throw. The more I use it, the more I like it. For more OS duties I'll use my Boatman, Starfire or Totem Teebird, but for mild winds the Stag kills.

Hey guys... First post

Am I the only one enjoying the stag as a really solid 80% shot disc? I've been getting some really nicely shaped shots in the 280-320 range...

im liking the vip stag a ton. great compliment to my saints. nice and sraight with a good fade at the end. definitely has a chance at making the bag.

I'm pretty sick of people talking about how understable the Stag is. I keep throwing them with more more hyzer than I need and missing everything left because I'm expecting them to stand up and move right and they just don't. Quit screwing with my head an let me throw this awesome disc. I threw it yesterday max power trying to get a nice full S out of it so I put about 10 degrees of hyzer on it and it held the hyzer the entire way! My arm isnt a cannon but I can throw 400 on a golf line pretty regularly.

I'm pretty sick of people talking about how understable the Stag is. I keep throwing them with more more hyzer than I need and missing everything left because I'm expecting them to stand up and move right and they just don't. Quit screwing with my head an let me throw this awesome disc. I threw it yesterday max power trying to get a nice full S out of it so I put about 10 degrees of hyzer on it and it held the hyzer the entire way! My arm isnt a cannon but I can throw 400 on a golf line pretty regularly.

Yeah, i agree...it isn't understable...period. If you release it flat with good control and spin, you'll get a really nice, tight S curve. It will also hold hold really long low line hyzers

I really like my Stags. I have been throwing a 168TP and a 176 VIP. Both have handled the wind well, but the heavy VIP holds a straighter line with almost no turn, while the VIP can turn a little in a headwind before fading. The only thing I have noticed is that the Stag's fade is pretty much a dead dump. Not much forward momentum when it finally drops. It just goes straight and then crashes. I have been comparing it to a Saint, which tends to fade forward a bit more, rather than dump. Both can be useful, just different.

The turn I've gotten from my 171g Tournament Stag is against the wind. I suppose I expected it to fight the wind like a Teebird. I was wrong.

The turn I've gotten from my 171g Tournament Stag is against the wind. I suppose I expected it to fight the wind like a Teebird. I was wrong.

I find my 170g Tournament Stag too understable as well. The Saints are awesome, but I just don't trust them in headwind, nor the TP Stag. However, the 171 VIP Stag is great. It has almost no turn in a headwind, great glide and a reliable dumping fade.

Hmm....from reading this...it seems like there is a huge difference between the VIP and TP stags...does anyone use a setup like this for their fairways...like...VIP in the teebird spot, maybe a slightly beat up TP for their Understable spot? Just curious, ordering some stuff tomorrow

After seeing the huge difference in the TP and VIP Underworld, I have been wondering much the same thing about the VIP Stag. May have to check it out. I usually prefer the TP/GL type plastic over the VIP/Opto. The Underworld changed that big time. Makes me wonder what else I am missing in the Westside lineup by favoring TP.

My VIP Stag definitely doesn't have the amount of turn most peoples' TP seems to have. It's not the wind killer that my Banshee is, but it can hold its own windy does, and has a nice straight-to-dump fade that mambo referenced.

attik, I've thought about trying what you suggested, since my moderately stable slot is a bit of a mess right now. Just need to nab myself a Tourney or an Air Stag to see how it works. Let us know if you go that route.

Hmm....from reading this...it seems like there is a huge difference between the VIP and TP stags...does anyone use a setup like this for their fairways...like...VIP in the teebird spot, maybe a slightly beat up TP for their Understable spot? Just curious, ordering some stuff tomorrow

I have been using this setup for bit.

VIP Stag for more OS duties (not my most OS fairway though). I don't get much turn out of it.

The TP Stag has some turn. I use it when there a slight tailwind. Or when I need a longer turn before fading back.

Then I have a beat Opto Saint for even more turn and really straight shots at lower power.

Lastly I have a GL River for my most US slot. I use it for big tailwinds and turn overs.

893473_383528205095424_1239295806_o.jpg

I actually have 2 VIP Stags now, 1 @ 170g and 1 @ 172g

My 170g, I bought on release day (march 1) so, it's been beat in a good bit. Still has absolutely ZERO turn at the beginning, but it's starting to lose some of that late flight fade (I'd say it's 0,2 now instead of 0,3) and it's losing it's headwind fighting abilities little by little as it beats in.

So I did the only logical thing and bought a brand new one a little heavier. It's amazing.

Trust me on this, the VIP Stag is gonna be one of those molds where you carry more than one in a bag, some might use 3 one fresh, one beat nicely, and one beat to ****, but I myself will probably just keep 2 and have 1 fresh and 1 at any stage of wear and be fine.

I love my Stags and the mold itself SO MUCH. Westside's really done good with this one, and crazy that I was actually more hopeful for the Underworld, and that Underwhelmed me.

So for those throwing heavy Vip Stags 350ish with a tiny bit of hyzer, How does the distance compare to your other "speed 6-10" discs? Not interested in glide, just how far away they land consistently.

Latest posts