• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

I tried one of my Colts out this morning in the DX plastic and really like it so far. It has a bit more glide than my proxy it seems and flies pretty straight. I think this disc will probably replace the Proxy for me in the bag permanently.

I replaced my proxy with the colt for now. I like the proxy but prefer baseline plastic for putters and mids. The colt is slightly more shallow but I can do the same things with both discs.

However...Who putts with premi-plastic? :gross: Colts & Hawgs are "Putters"

Me. I prefer it to baseline because I can keep the exact same disc much longer, and I didn't notice any decrease in my putts hit when I dropped my JK Aviars for an Envy recently.

Colts may be putters, but I'd call them a hybrid, driving putter rather than a pure "in the circle" putter. So why not run it in premium plastic that will handle the rigors of being used that way?

I would not call my GStar flippy at all. Held a line nicely in the wind today.

Not sure if it's a disc to disc difference but when I called the gstar Gazelle flippy when it first came out, I was told by someone shortly after that it was plenty stable for them. However, the factor store reviews seem to lean toward flippy so who really knows. That Gazelle is working great for my son but he's yet to crack 300' so I wouldn't call him the torque master.

I guess time and more feedback will show the average and ranges for the gstar Colt.

Last edited:
I've been putting with an XT proto Colt. I don't think my putting game has changed much since switching up from Wizards. I like the feel of the colt much better. I will say that I've had a string of bad luck with putts not going in and then rolling 20 feet from the basket. The Colt stood up and ran away from me 5 times today! I was in disbelief after the third time ;)
This is only week 2 using the Colt. I don't see any reason to switch it out yet.

I originally picked up a DX Colt just for the stamp, but I like the feel of the disc in my hand and will now be ordering another to throw. Not sure who designed the stamp, but it's pretty spot on. :thmbup:

I originally picked up a DX Colt just for the stamp, but I like the feel of the disc in my hand and will now be ordering another to throw. Not sure who designed the stamp, but it's pretty spot on. :thmbup:

Sweet! Love it.

I have three of the same white DX Colts. I threw it again today on a shorter course a lot off the tee. This is my new favorite disc for shorter holes. Absolutely love it.

Got a chance to toss the XT Proto Colt a couple times as it just arrived. Very straight with a small fade. Like the feel in hand. Loving it so far!

Me. I prefer it to baseline because I can keep the exact same disc much longer, and I didn't notice any decrease in my putts hit when I dropped my JK Aviars for an Envy recently.

Colts may be putters, but I'd call them a hybrid, driving putter rather than a pure "in the circle" putter. So why not run it in premium plastic that will handle the rigors of being used that way?

ITA. :clap:

Sweet! Love it.

I have three of the same white DX Colts. I threw it again today on a shorter course a lot off the tee. This is my new favorite disc for shorter holes. Absolutely love it.

Nice pic. Please resist the urge to throw the disc in the air and start shooting at it with the revolover... :p:D

So I picked up a Colt from PIAS last night. It just felt really good in the hand, the stamp is awesome, and it was only $8.99.

Played a couple rounds with it this morning, and REALLY like it. It is sneaky long, but very straight and easy to throw. Definitely going to be well used.....

Just trust that you can throw it straight at the basket. I've only been carrying mine for a couple weeks and I have hit two shots in the 150' range and had a couple basket hits on a 250' hole.

Took a max weight DX out today and threw the heck out of it. Great disc and versatile as all get out. Right b/t a classic roc and an XD as far as I could tell. Both BH/FH consistency was high, especially considering it was a new mold.

Nothing resembling the gstar retool in flight characteristics.

Took a max weight DX out today and threw the heck out of it. Great disc and versatile as all get out. Right b/t a classic roc and an XD as far as I could tell. Both BH/FH consistency was high, especially considering it was a new mold.

Nothing resembling the gstar retool in flight characteristics.
What do you attribute the difference to? Squishy disc that doesn't release cleanly. The colt molds up funny in gstar. Innova ruined the mold.

What do you attribute the difference to? Squishy disc that doesn't release cleanly. The colt molds up funny in gstar. Innova ruined the mold.

If anything, XT is more "squishy" than GStar. In my experience with the two, GStar has less glide but is not flippy at all. Flies close to the proper numbers.

Yeah, you're right.I'm just really anxious/worried to see what the production run is like.

Every plastic molds up differently. Even the famed Teebird didn't make the grade in pro plastic. Gazelle? DX is about all that has any magic.

So, could be my individual gstar disc, could be the plastic, could be the retooled mold.

What do you attribute the difference to? Squishy disc that doesn't release cleanly.

I have nothing against gstar and currently bag 3 - Pegasus, Wraith, & Leopard. The first two are great when you need big fade but want minimal skip and/or have trees to shave at high speed and want reduced kick should you hit one. I haven't thrown the Wraith enough to test its long term durability but the Pegasus only holds stability about the same as pro plastic and would be cost prohibitive to cycle if it were made in pro, which it's not, so I bite the bullet. The Leo is the proto, I've been throwing it since day one of release, and it flies like a Leo should after it's initial break-in and hasn't lost stability since (about a year?). The Leo and Pegasus are different plastics with the former being non-pearly with reflective specks and the latter being mega pearly with no specs.

Lastly, I started throwing with a lambskin batting glove in the last year or so and it tends to make all plastics feel uniform and near the high end of bare skin preference so I don't think my bad experience with the gstar Colt had anything to do with release issues.

Last edited:
Also this from 'noodle arm disc golf'.

http://noodlearmdiscgolf.com/2015/07/03/innova-colt-plastic-surgeon/

The crown jewel of these discs, though, was the GStar Colt Innova decided to toss into the mix. It flies a bit more true to the -1/1 turn and fade numbers out of the box, almost as if it is worn-in prototype. It doesn't have quite the glide that the XT does, but I imagine that this will change with use.

This retool, plus the release in GStar, yields two positive developments, in my opinion:
1.No need to shake the new off the mold to get it flip up and fly straight from a hyzer release.
2.High-end plastic means the flight will remain unchanged for longer.

"Straight from a hyzer release" was my experience too and it seems he finds the gstar retool less HSS also.

Latest posts