• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The effect of Disc Golf on your "relationship" or lack thereof

my situation is a lil of both sides. over the summer, obviously i play everyday, so i told her to come out with me and i would teach her how to throw. she actually really got the hang of it and played a few rounds with me, and enjoyed it too (shes really competitive). but unfortunately, it started to hurt her shoulder after a week and she quit playin. now shes just gets angry when i play before we hangout lol, and she got angry that i bought some dvd's lol, called me a loser. but o well, not my fault she doesnt have any hobbies other than wanting to be with me! :)

My wife is a little strange. She told me on the phone last night that she loves watching me throw anhyzer shots. For some reason she says the way my body looks when I throw that kind of shot, turns her on. I guess I shouldn't complain.

My wife is a little strange. She told me on the phone last night that she loves watching me throw anhyzer shots. For some reason she says the way my body looks when I throw that kind of shot, turns her on. I guess I shouldn't complain.

that is one of the oddest and coolest things ive ever heard!

You should have seen my face when she told me. I was like------->:\

Hey, what ever makes her horny. If disc golf will do it, so be it.

got any videos of those anhyzer shots... i promise not to get horny.

None I go where and when I want and thats about it. She has made some trips wth me before to caddie and also combine with vacation

We do everything together. You would think we would want to kill each other but somehow we have not and usually get along quite well.

My wife is supportive of me. She knows I enjoy it, she knows it doesn't cost as much as if I were golfing, she knows it is good exercise, she knows it doesn't take a long time, and she even enjoys the sport just not nearly as much as me. I did however get her pretty hooked when I taught her to not use a runup at all. I taught her to reach back, look backwards, and then pull through standing still. It worked wonders. Plus getting her a stingray was the best thing I could have done because she can throw it flat and get it to stay flat for 125-150' now. Tht makes the game so much more enjoyable for both of us.

We were in a car together for nearly 3 weeks on a roadtrip last month where I played 39 courses. She played maybe 5-6 of them. I would simply make sure I was awake at dawn to go play a round, then come back pick her up and move on to the next city. My sleep amount was down for the month, while she was able to sleep in until 9 every day, and she loves sleep so it is give and take.

I'd say I have it pretty lucky. She has even written one review on here too.

My wife doesn't play, but is very supportive. Late afternoon date with her every Saturday and early Saturday rounds of disc golf for me and the guys are the agreed upon deal in our house. Most of my week day rounds are played while shes at work (Her hours are later than mine) so we don't miss any of our time. She does accompany me and my kids for our rounds every Father's Day and on my B-Day even though she doesn't play. That's love.

I taught my girlfriend to play when we started dating last spring and she got so into it she joined the pdga this year and has played in an Ice Bowl already. She started out doing it because I like it but the way I went about it she now likes it almost as much as I do. Tips for getting here into it: I got her a bag and discs that she picked out, color of both things were very important. We never kept score at first and if she had a bad throw I always went and got it and brought it back so she could throw again. Never pushed it as far as how many holes we played. She used to get tired of playing after only 12 holes so that was all we played that day. The most important thing was being very complimentary. When she had a good shot I made a big deal about it. Whenever we saw some rec players I would tell her privately that she was a better golfer then them. Took about 3 months before she really got into it but it was so worth it. Now she can't wait to go to tournaments (which means no hassle for me to go) and when the Nuke became available she was actually excited I bought one. So no issue spending my cash on discs :clap:

My first date with my girlfriend was a picnic in a local park. We played a few board games, ate a couple snacks and got to know each other. I also brought two Buzzzes, showed her and told her about disc golf. She knew that a relationship with me was at least going to be a close proximity to disc golf for her. Because it was a package deal everythings great. She will play every so often, and has no ( maybe not no, but not too much) problem with me spending as much time at the course as I do. I didn't hide any part of the lifestyle and it sure payed off.

My wife doesn't play, but doesn't give me any problems about playing either. We have been married almost 17 years so I think she is sick of my sh*t and doesn't mind getting me out of the house for a few hours.

My wife supports my DG habit overall and encourages me to get out an play for relaxation etc (I budget one evening a week for that and maybe 1-3 hours on a weekend sometimes). Also, when we are making longer trips, she likes to take the kids to a playground while I play a round.

She is not nearly as supportive of my DGCR habit however! :D

Last edited:
Let me tell you, been with my fiance now 11 years and the first 10+ ( I didnt play when we first started dating but anyway you get the point) she didnt disc golf, didnt like the guys I played with and generally thought it was the stupidest thing in the world, but as of last summer; she now plays and loves it almost as much as I do.

I think after years of me being miserable and only getting out to play a couple times a year, if at all, she finally decided to try it for my benefit and for her it means I am hanging out with her over the guys she didnt like

All winter my girlfriend complains about how much hockey I watch. All summer she complains about how much I disc golf. Its a good thing she's friggin hot, therefore I put up with it.

My wife doesn't play, but doesn't give me any problems about playing either. We have been married almost 17 years so I think she is sick of my sh*t and doesn't mind getting me out of the house for a few hours.

Laughing.......Yeah, 19 years for me I know the feeling. Her brother turned me on to disc golf when we went to visit her family in Pittsburg. We were just dating then. Everytime we visit her family no matter where they live, all the guys go and play the local courses. The women stay home getting caught up (talking themselves to death). The men and boys head for the hills, it's expected of us to leave and play.

When my son was first born I would get out of the house and play on weekends. After about 3 years she started nagging me that she needed a break on weekends too. As soon as he was out of diapers, come weekends I grabed my bag and the boy and went to the course. He loved being outside and walking in the woods. I carried him in one arm and my bag in the other because he would get tired of walking and start complaining. I'd set him down, throw and let him throw. It would go 3 feet if he was lucky or he'd hit himself in the head. I would tell him what a great throw he made. Pick up his disc and hand it back to him so he could hold it. I taught him all the important things disc golfers need to know. How to throw, pee in the woods, keep his cool and remember it's a game. You have good days and bad days, bad days work on your short game and putting.

Now he's 13, been playing 10 years and we play every weekend. We both like to get out of the house on weekends and avoid the nagging. He power drives off the tee with a nice smooth X-step with clean release getting 300-350' on a good drive. But he still complains like he was 3...
"I'm tired of walking, do we have to play another round?"
"I'm thirsty, I finished all my water can I have yours"
"How come you always out drive me Dad!"
"That's not what it was supposed to do!"
"I'm not keeping score any more because you always win anyway."

Everytime I turn around to watch his throw he's behind a tree pissing. Ah...my pride and joy, he has become a true disc golfer. Oh well, at least he learned something well!:\

I met my wife 14 years ago, and after 3 months her brothers got me hooked on Tennis. I still have all my tennis equipment, and I even chose my apartment complex because they had a tennis court.

I used to play Tennis 2-3 times a week for 2-4 hours each time. Since I discovered Disc Golf, I have only played Tennis a hand full of times. My wife didn't care for my tennis habit too much, and she didn't like disc golf in the beginning. Now that she has discovered Lifetime TV, she would rather stay home on Sunday afternoon and watch that, while I am gone now days. She also loves watching me play in tournaments.