• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

CFR, lol. I say that because I just got one through the DGR deal and love it (even though I won't be able to replace it). Are the new C-PDs close to being as stable as the CFR? The first run C-PDs were domey junk, IMO. They didn't fly on any line effectively.

juju said:
CFR, lol. I say that because I just got one through the DGR deal and love it (even though I won't be able to replace it). Are the new C-PDs close to being as stable as the CFR? The first run C-PDs were domey junk, IMO. They didn't fly on any line effectively.
The non-cfr C-Pd's I just got are domey and about as stable as a new S-Pd. So pretty overstable. Not quite CFR Llike though however in brief experience yesterday they fly the same lines just as effectively.

As for your first Pd. Pick a P-Line the S lines start quite overstable like I mentioned. Once you can flip over a new P-Line then consider going for an S-Line.

juju said:
You mean the first production run +molds? Not my favorite but they did work alright.

The flat first CFR run C-PD's are great, but too overstable really for a first PD. They complement the S-PD's nicely, but S-Line is the standard.

himynameismatt said:
Avery Jenkins was listing some discs on ebay and referred to his "Champystar" discs as "Hybrid" Plastic hadn't heard it called that before, would be neat to see some official runs of "Hybrid" plastic from Innova, would sell better than Echo Star IMO.

I got a ChampyStar 175 CFR Classic Roc recently. It is nice and tacky, but also very flexible (not rigid). It is vastly more under-stable than my 160 Star Classic Roc.

JHern said:
himynameismatt said:
Avery Jenkins was listing some discs on ebay and referred to his "Champystar" discs as "Hybrid" Plastic hadn't heard it called that before, would be neat to see some official runs of "Hybrid" plastic from Innova, would sell better than Echo Star IMO.

I got a ChampyStar 175 CFR Classic Roc recently. It is nice and tacky, but also very flexible (not rigid). It is vastly more under-stable than my 160 Star Classic Roc.

Huk Lab also call is Superstar and charges $40 a pop for it! It's a great plastic whatever it is.

Crushing my DGR P-PD's. Got ahold of one like never before that would've made 450' with room to spare if it didn't glance a small branch, you know one of those ones so small and so far down the fairway you can't see it until your disc suddenly dies and goes fluttering down to the ground. Even then it still landed just shy of 400'.

I think the Stiffy P-PD's are the longest disc in my bag when I'm throwing them well. A good 10'-20' longer than my Destroyers, most of which are fairly overstable and new, could change once the Destroyer's beat up though.

What's even more impressive to me is how straight it will fly out past 400' even my shot with 450' potential didn't turn more than 10'-15' before hooking up. Usually get a lot more movement out of other discs I've thrown in that range.(Could possibly be a result of the unreal amount of snap I had on this throw? Discs fly more stable with more snap if I recall correctly?)

himynameismatt said:
Crushing my DGR P-PD's. Got ahold of one like never before that would've made 450' with room to spare if it didn't glance a small branch, you know one of those ones so small and so far down the fairway you can't see it until your disc suddenly dies and goes fluttering down to the ground. Even then it still landed just shy of 400'.

I think the Stiffy P-PD's are the longest disc in my bag when I'm throwing them well. A good 10'-20' longer than my Destroyers, most of which are fairly overstable and new, could change once the Destroyer's beat up though.

What's even more impressive to me is how straight it will fly out past 400' even my shot with 450' potential didn't turn more than 10'-15' before hooking up. Usually get a lot more movement out of other discs I've thrown in that range.(Could possibly be a result of the unreal amount of snap I had on this throw? Discs fly more stable with more snap if I recall correctly?)

PDs vary quite a bit but each one i've thrown needs more spin than i can give them to not fade early. Since you were throwing an s-curve you may have just stumbled on the great thing about PDs. The Ps especially in lighter weight can gain immensely in distance when thrown s-curved. Much more so than most molds. With s-curves wider than yours i've thrown a 168 S that is broken in to 400' airborne with at least 15' skips. When i normally can't get a line drive to 400' with PDs and 390' throws are rare and 380' is a good pull for me.

just got some new 159 s plastic yellow s-pd's. parting line a little higher than my other pd's, and have a flatter top. I assume these will be nice and beefy. anyone thrown ones like this?

I have a 160 red champy star, harder than the champ PD I have. Highest plh of my 5 PDs. Very flat. I though it might be really over stable, but it's not too bad. It starts to fade 10-15' sooner than my PPDs, but it's pretty workable. I can definately count on it coming out of a turn, whether I oat it, anhyzer it, or ky snap turns it. It sounds similar to your yellow weight/appearance wise.

is there a good way to tell if a c line pd is a +mold fom a pic? i'm hoping there is an easy way to differentiate if i'm buying or trading with somebody who might not be able to tell if the rim is a +mold or not.

dehaas said:
is there a good way to tell if a c line pd is a +mold fom a pic? i'm hoping there is an easy way to differentiate if i'm buying or trading with somebody who might not be able to tell if the rim is a +mold or not.

Besides the pretty obvious difference in feel, plus molds don't have the patent numbers in the tooling.

yeah, i didn't know if there were cfr runs out there with production stamps. reading through the thread it looks like there is a new run of non +mold c line pds out there, and i'm assuming those don't have patent numbers either.

it's just a bummer to have to do all the legwork of tracking down exactly what you want. i have a few +mold c tds and didn't really care for the grip. plus i want consistency between my p, s, and c lines. haha is that too much to ask?

dehaas said:
yeah, i didn't know if there were cfr runs out there with production stamps. reading through the thread it looks like there is a new run of non +mold c line pds out there, and i'm assuming those don't have patent numbers either.

it's just a bummer to have to do all the legwork of tracking down exactly what you want. i have a few +mold c tds and didn't really care for the grip. plus i want consistency between my p, s, and c lines. haha is that too much to ask?

Check with powergrip in Finland. I got a production stamp CFR from them (or at least it's super flat and stiff, and not a + mold)

the innova factory store had some of the latest run c pd x outs that are supposed to be as beefy as the cfrs. picked up a handful of those and some s line x outs, got a discount for ordering 10 discs, stacked with the facebook 10% code, and free shipping came out to like 82 bucks shipped for 10 discs. not too shabby.

JR said:
PDs vary quite a bit but each one i've thrown needs more spin than i can give them to not fade early. Since you were throwing an s-curve you may have just stumbled on the great thing about PDs. The Ps especially in lighter weight can gain immensely in distance when thrown s-curved. Much more so than most molds. With s-curves wider than yours i've thrown a 168 S that is broken in to 400' airborne with at least 15' skips. When i normally can't get a line drive to 400' with PDs and 390' throws are rare and 380' is a good pull for me.

ditto.. i've been throwing a 175 P-PD for about two weeks now and using S curves I'm getting out to 400' easy and up to 450' on good throws. it's like this disc was born to be flexed.

dehaas said:
reading through the thread it looks like there is a new run of non +mold c line pds out there, and i'm assuming those don't have patent numbers either.

That I'm not positive on. To be honest, I haven't bought a PD in a long while now. In fact, I only have one PD in my bag atm and its one of the first DGR runs. Red champystar. Its still in great shape since I mostly use it on open stuff (most wooded holes I get to play on are laid out better for a JLS type shot or Predator type shot). And I've only ever thrown the CFR C-PD's.

There should be non-plus mold C-PD's that are pretty close to FR S-PD's in shape (fairly high PLH, slight dome), which are according to some the best PDs ever. Nice and overstable and very glidey.

Latest posts