• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

The whole of the first production run of C-PD's were +mold, and it was by accident. The run(s) after that have been straight.

As for the C-PD+, discspeed seems to like them a lot. The ones I've tested had a nice fade, a tad of turn (small tad) and a good glide. So not bad at all if you can handle the grip.

CPD+ are great if you don't have it stuck in your head that a little slant on a rim ruins a disc. I have 2 different colors @174-175, yellow and merlot. The yellows are domey and fairly resistant to turn with a strong fade and great glide. The merlot ones are flatter and are easier to push into a little high speed turn from a flat release and also fade a little less. When I'm out ripping them over 400' in the field the yellows are very straight(from flat release) and the merlots need some hyzer or height to keep from turning too much.

I think what will be unique about the CPD+ besides the wrong core is that they are made out of soft Champ plastic. I think this plastic gives a disc a little more glide than stiffer champ and also mutes the action the disc gets on impact (kicks/skips). I'm going to bet we will see many runs of CPDs before we see some in soft champ again.

my driver set-up:
3 158 s pds. these newer-run ones have a high parting line and are relatively flat. They are amazing, even into the wind. i love the lighter weight, i get a cleaner snap with it. dead straight with a little fade, even when thrown 400 ft. got a stack of backups as these are so money for me.

2 159 p pds. also newer run, stiffer and flatter than my early-run p's, and less stable. these complement the s well as these p's are easy to turn or power down for a shorter straight throw.

160 flatter champ firebird. sidearms, overheads, overstable disc.

pro destroyer. when i need an extra 30 feet beyond the pds and have room to work.

it would be no problem to roll with a pd-only driver setup if I had to.

Flat yellow 159 DGR PPD started out great and the initial break in made it better but in 4 months it turned to pretty flippy that comes back very late if at all even with high lines. Because they are best when new i'd use S PDs as often as possible to extend the great period in the PPDs. And use the Ps only where you need the lesser fade.

I still dont understand how there was a mistake making the C-PD. How can you not notice that there is a + mold? Have any of the straight mold C-PDs been released yet? Im liking my c-pd+ for hyzers and into the wind, but just dont like the +mold. Ive had some problems of early release.

linkinparkervii said:
I still dont understand how there was a mistake making the C-PD. How can you not notice that there is a + mold? Have any of the straight mold C-PDs been released yet? Im liking my c-pd+ for hyzers and into the wind, but just dont like the +mold. Ive had some problems of early release.
Keep in mind that they also messed up the first production run on of C-TD's, also made with the +core. There were older CFR C-TD's with straight rims mixed in so not all of the production stamped ones are +molds, but most. =P

I dunno, many molding machines, many many mold parts, they were doing some +mold discs before they ran the PD's and TD's and only remembered to change the top and wing, workers don't get payed enough to pay attention, something like that. Mistakes happen.

nice, i'd love to try some lightweight pds. Problem is, a lot of the plastic on sale here (not all of course) is max weight or close to it. I have a feeling my current form would benefit from lighter weights but so far i think the lightest in my bag is 172. Oh well, keeps the wind at bay, i guess.

Btw, 182 pages of pd gospel so far, wow!

hit up the innova factory store, i snatched a few 150 class s line factory seconds. the plastic is nice and gummy and they're suprisingly stable, fly pretty much like my 172 soft p line and handles wind just as well. they also had some s line and c line factory seconds in the 160s.

We finally got some new run non-plus CPDs in at CDGS. We didn't get many in our order, but a few trickled in. The plastic feels like a hybrid between the plastic of the CFR CPDs and the CPD+ in both grip and stiffness. The domes are modest, but definitely much more present than on the CFRs.

I grabbed an orange 174 to test out. It was very impressive, pretty much exactly what I was hoping it would be. It was pretty much a hybrid of the CFR and PLUS runs in flight as well. The HSS was damn near zero, only showing a slightly delayed fade into a strong headwind. The glide was less than the PLUS and more than the CFRs, with the fade being more forward like the PLUS. It doesn't go quite as far as an average SPD, but it flew more rock solid in the wind. It is very much like a slightly faster, slightly stronger fading 11x Champ TB...A significant addition to the PD arsenal. It's already in the bag in place of my beat CFR.

discspeed said:
We finally got some new run non-plus CPDs in at CDGS. We didn't get many in our order, but a few trickled in. The plastic feels like a hybrid between the plastic of the CFR CPDs and the CPD+ in both grip and stiffness. The domes are modest, but definitely much more present than on the CFRs.

I grabbed an orange 174 to test out. It was very impressive, pretty much exactly what I was hoping it would be. It was pretty much a hybrid of the CFR and PLUS runs in flight as well. The HSS was damn near zero, only showing a slightly delayed fade into a strong headwind. The glide was less than the PLUS and more than the CFRs, with the fade being more forward like the PLUS. It doesn't go quite as far as an average SPD, but it flew more rock solid in the wind. It is very much like a slightly faster, slightly stronger fading 11x Champ TB...A significant addition to the PD arsenal. It's already in the bag in place of my beat CFR.

How much? What weights do they have them in? Do you think you could pick me up one? I like my C-PD but cant stand the + mold. I dont feel I get a consistent rip with them

For some reason I was studying my PDs tonight and I started really looking at the inner rims. I started to doubt that my new CPD is different from my CPD+, and now I'm starting to doubt that there was ever such a thing as a PD+ at all...

All of the PDs in my bag have slanted rims, and when I line them up with my CPDs there is not a significant difference. In fact, I really cannot find any definite evidence that a different core was ever used. The slight difference in camber that I see across my PDs inner rims could more easily be explained by different cooling rates than an argument could be made that there were 2 different cores. I really think we may have been wrong about the CPD+ all together.

discspeed said:
For some reason I was studying my PDs tonight and I started really looking at the inner rims. I started to doubt that my new CPD is different from my CPD+, and now I'm starting to doubt that there was ever such a thing as a PD+ at all...

All of the PDs in my bag have slanted rims, and when I line them up with my CPDs there is not a significant difference. In fact, I really cannot find any definite evidence that a different core was ever used. The slight difference in camber that I see across my PDs inner rims could more easily be explained by different cooling rates than an argument could be made that there were 2 different cores. I really think we may have been wrong about the CPD+ all together.

Not trying to challenge your expertise, but I would assume since Innova labels them as a + mold, then it's just another Innova conspiracy?
http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/factory-second-ch-pd-2.html

My "+" molds feel quite different in the hands as compared to my other Cs, 1st run Cs, 1st Run S-PDs, and regular S-PDs.

Joz said:
My "+" molds feel quite different in the hands as compared to my other Cs, 1st run Cs, 1st Run S-PDs, and regular S-PDs.

I just traded my last CPD+ away a week ago, but the ones I had felt and looked quite different than all of my other CFR's S's and P's.

discspeed said:

xd71qe.jpg

ngwn0n.jpg

The exact same thing happens with the plus mold PD's compared to regular PD's. It has also been confirmed by Discmania that it happened. All discs are a bit slanted, but the +molds go beyond that. The CFR C-PD's are actually more slanted than regular PD's too because of the high PLH (basically wing angle, turn the wing up and you increase the slant). So higher PLH variations will usually be more angled than lower PLH variations, due to the way the PLH changes.

I guess I'm just observing that the difference between the PLUS and the regular core is not apples and oranges, more like oranges and tangerines...I also was really examining the ones in my bag and I'm starting to suspect that perhaps there have been some runs of SPD PLUS because my yellow champystars really look just as slanted as my CPD+ do.