• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Trying to take pictures of the chopstick test and care for a 2 year old is getting the best of me, so I don't know whether I'll be able to post pics. The results are pretty interesting though...All my PDs have equal slants except for PPDs, red champystar SPDs, and an old orange SPD. Yellow champystars, the new CPD I though wasn't a PLUS (but actually is, sorry), my CPD+, my fire orange SPDs, CFRs, and my white SPDs all are slanted pretty much the same.

Of all the pd"s with suspected plus rims, is there a similarity in plh? And do those plh's differ from confirmed non plus rims?

My CPD+'s plh is very slightly higher than my PPDs', but that's very common when comparing Pro and Champ versions of any disc. I don't think the difference in PLH/dome is large enough to account for the different rim angles. Gotta believe the two are from different molds.

So I don't think my new orange CPD is a non-PLUS, but it is still much beefier than my other CPD+ and a very nice disc.

The nose of the PD is pretty sharp for a D-Line disc, I don't think it'd work very well, at least for long.

So how would you guys compare the flight of a current S-line PD to a C-PD+? I'm asking because I have one +mold C-PD I Really like, but would like a slightly faster seasoning and grippier disc?

Pretty similar flight if you are throwing under 400' imo. The C-PD+ may have a touch more high speed turn.

just got a 166 S-PD the other day and im sold. definitely my go to driver now. i was putting it out to 340-350 consistently today which i've never done before. just like you guys were saying, feels just like a faster TB. awesome disc

Msarimaa said:
So how would you guys compare the flight of a current S-line PD to a C-PD+? I'm asking because I have one +mold C-PD I Really like, but would like a slightly faster seasoning and grippier disc?

If you like your CPD+ you will love the SPD. The CPD is a bit more LSS than most SPDs, but besides that they are pretty similar. The SPDs do also break in much faster.

discspeed said:
Msarimaa said:

If you like your CPD+ you will love the SPD. The CPD is a bit more LSS than most SPDs, but besides that they are pretty similar. The SPDs do also break in much faster.

And there are way longer discs out there because the PD doesn't glide that much and neither does the TB at least if you don't throw 400'+ with fast discs and the TB is 150. With that said the PD is a great go to work horse driver for under maximum distance.

JR said:
discspeed said:
Msarimaa said:
And there are way longer discs out there because the PD doesn't glide that much and neither does the TB at least if you don't throw 400'+ with fast discs and the TB is 150. With that said the PD is a great go to work horse driver for under maximum distance.
What the heck are you smoking? TB is one of the best gliding discs I've ever thrown, even in premium plastic, but especially the DX TBs have magnificent glide. And the PDs I have that don't fade that much anymore also show that the mold has good glide, but the fade of the unseasoned ones tends to bring them down before you can see it that clearly.

JR said:

There's maybe 50' difference between my S-PD's and my Quasars. Maybe. In fact, I dropped star wraiths from my bag because there was hardly any difference in distance anymore between the two and I could hit my lines much more accurately with the PD. And that's on a line drive type golf shot. I've actually been toying around with a CPD+ lately because of the added fade. It makes it behave much more on the control side.

Edit: All that is to say PD's glide fine. And so do teebirds. But then again, I throw over 400'.

If you throw each in the speed they were made for, with the amount of snap they were made for, a Teebird will glide a tiiiny bit more than a PD. But that's obvious if you look at the flight ratings.

But beyond those ambiguous ratings, Teebirds tend to have more dome than PD's, from what I have seen, which adds to their excellent glide. My favorite Teebird was a domey orange Star that would carry SO far that it became my max D driver and my stable control driver all at once. But that being said, PD's should never be described as lacking glide, unless you are talking about CFR's.