• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

jubuttib said:
JR said:
discspeed said:
Msarimaa said:
So how would you guys compare the flight of a current S-line PD to a C-PD+? I'm asking because I have one +mold C-PD I Really like, but would like a slightly faster seasoning and grippier disc?
If you like your CPD+ you will love the SPD. The CPD is a bit more LSS than most SPDs, but besides that they are pretty similar. The SPDs do also break in much faster.
And there are way longer discs out there because the PD doesn't glide that much and neither does the TB at least if you don't throw 400'+ with fast discs and the TB is 150. With that said the PD is a great go to work horse driver for under maximum distance.
What the heck are you smoking? TB is one of the best gliding discs I've ever thrown, even in premium plastic, but especially the DX TBs have magnificent glide. And the PDs I have that don't fade that much anymore also show that the mold has good glide, but the fade of the unseasoned ones tends to bring them down before you can see it that clearly.

Throw a head high TB line drive at full power and then do the same with a King, light Nuke, light Blizzard discs and note the height at known distances. Even the Sword stays higher than the TB for me. The only TB that holds height somewhat for me is a 150 grammer. I can keep faster discs flat out to the distances i get with my TBs. The TB is slow while fast discs are almost at cruising speed where the TB lands at full power for me. YMMV. A little over 52 MPH on average with around 20 revs per second. I don't know how that goes relative to others but it ain't terribly short on spin. Although it ain't great either. Most TBs fade out on me the 150 Star ain't bad at all in fade at low apexes. And even it will drop early from slowing down fast vs speed 13 or even 10 in the Beast.

PD P 157 holds height nicely especially after a little bit of breaking in. I have a few 168s in S-Line and when new they fade out and drop. One of them is well broken in to lose HSS and most of wind handling and it fades later and less and has decent height retention. I think i have mostly more overstable S PDs compared to how others describe them and P PDs in 157 and 168 seem to be the same as for others. Discs vary but the 3 heavy TBs i've had all drop fast. One DX and two champs.

JR said:
...I can keep faster discs flat out to the distances i get with my TBs. The TB is slow while fast discs are almost at cruising speed where the TB lands at full power for me...
This isn't really a ground breaking discovery here, the 'Bird is after all, a fairway driver. Why would you expect it to be as fast as the distance drivers you're comparing it to?

Teebirds need more height to go the same distance as a faster disc. This is probably something you already know, but one reason faster discs exist is to get more distance on lower lines...and to make money off noobs.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't really compare glide ratings if you are talking about discs with drastically different speed ratings. A Teebird stays in the air a touch longer than an Eagle, thrown with the same height, spin, and speed. But you are right that it won't compete with a Blizzard disc if thrown on the same line, but that's not because the Teebird lacks glide.

So put a little more air under the Teebird and report back. I'm telling you that mine was at one point my longest disc...and then I lost it and moved on to another mold.

Fightingthetide said:
Teebirds need more height to go the same distance as a faster disc. This is probably something you already know, but one reason faster discs exist is to get more distance on lower lines...and to make money off noobs.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't really compare glide ratings if you are talking about discs with drastically different speed ratings. A Teebird stays in the air a touch longer than an Eagle, thrown with the same height, spin, and speed. But you are right that it won't compete with a Blizzard disc if thrown on the same line, but that's not because the Teebird lacks glide.

So put a little more air under the Teebird and report back. I'm telling you that mine was at one point my longest disc...and then I lost it and moved on to another mold.

That is exactly right and i'm ahead of you in that i do put more height to the TBs to get the best D and that will naturally slow the disc down and make it fade even more than with head high throws again robbing distance and straight line performance. That is why the TB has never been a favorite of mine for straight shots which traditionally has been the claim to fame with these. And they have some turn for me in winds and when broken in further deviating from laser lines. Even with hyzer flips to flat the fade is too much for some tunnels especially considering the high power requirement for D. That is why i vastly prefer a Leopard and River. Now River has glide. No matter how you define it see glide is a very inaccurate term semantically because it is dependent of many other factors like cruise speed and fade. So it is true that the glide can be compared in discs of different speeds (and LSS) only in general terms. It ain't accurate. River is not that different from the TB in speed but the glide and lesser fade keeps it higher way longer and the landing for me is way farther out. I throw so few TB shots as a consequence that i've forgotten my line drive distance record with it just because i don't need that disc and have better suited ones in the bag. By estimation a new champ TB is around at the same D as the Leo and a broken in DX 175 TB is about 10' longer than a new 175 C Leo. Meaning a 30'+ advantage to a River. So the TB is outmatched in height keeping by a slower and a faster disc and that to me says that regardless of how you define glide the TB ain't the greatest in glide. Then there is the Kite :) Thrown even higher than the TB i've gotten it as far and that is a way slower disc. The faster new Sidewinder also keeps height on even higher throws better than the TB going over 30' farther. There is no shortage of more gliding discs than the TBs i have. Those were just examples. Even for the speed the TB ain't very gliding disc by any definition for a 400' thrower of fast discs at max weight when new and breaking in doesn't help much. Out of older gen discs it is no wonder that the two ticks faster and more gliding Valk holds the distance record.

Wasn't this the gospel of the PD? Why are we discussing TBirds after I asked about the S-PD? Sry but I'd like more info on them, since I'm quite familiar with TB's. And I know PD is like "The Longer Teebird", but still? I'm interested on the differences of the varying PDs not so much comparing them to TBs or Kings at this point.

Oh dang man I'm sorry, I didnt know that instead of reading through the 100+ pages in this topic about the pd and it's different plastics/characteristics, you'd like everyone to keep discussing the same thing over and over again for your convenience :).

That's definitely our fault... C'mon everyone, shape up and stick to the topic at hand.

My recommendation is to get an S PD at around 170. It is wind beating even at that speed. The less than max weight makes it a little easier to throw and more forgiving of powering down. Yes max weight powers down ok but a 170 or even 166 is even better. The lighter ones gain a lot of distance when they are thrown annied. Plastic differences exist and if you can find a semi opaque one pick it up.

The holy gospel fell to page 3!!!

Anyway, are their folks out there still on the hunt for first runs? I found two first run S-pds marked as regular stock at my shop.

uNicedmeMan said:

Anyway, are their folks out there still on the hunt for first runs? I found two first run S-pds marked as regular stock at my shop.

I'm looking quite a bit. PM'd you.

uNicedmeMan said:

Yep, there are surprisingly many of those. =)

I just ordered 3 SPD's from Disc Golf Center- a pair of 167's and a 159. The 159 is a flat hog (like a new 11x Champ Eagle). One of the 167's has a different top, like those "Test Configurations" that the Pro Shop put out with the blunter nose. I didn't think these were still around but maybe this has just been sitting in the warehouse for a while or something. Does anyone like/use/want this kind of PD?

fanter said:
I just ordered 3 SPD's from Disc Golf Center- a pair of 167's and a 159. The 159 is a flat hog (like a new 11x Champ Eagle). One of the 167's has a different top, like those "Test Configurations" that the Pro Shop put out with the blunter nose. I didn't think these were still around but maybe this has just been sitting in the warehouse for a while or something. Does anyone like/use/want this kind of PD?
I do. The stability is very reminiscent of the FR S-PD, and I like the feel of the thing overall.

i switched to BH this year and still don't have the distance for a PD. But...my beat in 166 S-PD is still in the bag b/c i can count on it for 350' dead straight FH shot everytime, wind or not. such a money disc.

How common are pearly C-PD's? I snagged one the other day and it is beefy...in a good way. Thinking of picking up another one as a backup in case they are hard to get a hold of.

I ordered a few of the regular rim c line f2s from the factory store and got some merlots with some pearliness to them. They work well as my meathook pd.

dehaas said:
I ordered a few of the regular rim c line f2s from the factory store and got some merlots with some pearliness to them. They work well as my meathook pd.

I bought a couple of them off Dehaas and they are nice and stable-overstable.

Already have some discussion going on about this elsewhere, but figured I could get more info here. Just switched to the PDs but I haven't thrown them long enough to really understand what the gaps I'm missing in my drivers by basically only using them. I'm liking them, but what discs are you guys pairing with them to cover your drivers? Some that I'm looking at are FD, Sidewinder, and Roadrunner...