• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Its possible to get a beat p pd to do the things thos would do, but youre better off just using any one of those for understable and lower power shots. Likewise you could cover a lot of the shots (not all) with a new beefy S or a CFR PD that a mold like a FB or pred would do, but youre better of having a mold that is more OS than the PD. Basically, how i compliment my PD is with a pred and a RR. I want to cover the extremes of what the pd canT do out of the box with different molds and everything between i have a couple of pds for. Works pretty well.

My PD / Driver Spectrum:

CFR PD
Stable C-PD
Beat 1st Run S-PD
Champystar S-TD
Really old glow Cal Teebird (doesn't really fit but it will never leave the bag...)
S-FD

For me that covers almost every shot outside of 250ft, even some long distance lines (400-450ft). I throw Destroyers and Quasars, but only on Charlotte's longer courses or for holes that require some beefy shots.

Apart from max D (DD2) and thumber discs (FR Premium RESPECTi), I only have the TD in there currently, though the FD will most likely secure a spot very soon. Basically the PD, if used in stages of wear and different plastics, can handle everything from straight to just below meathook overstable, and beaten in enough it can also do fantastic understable stuff. I do however like to supplement it with an understable mold, and that's where the beat TD's, and more lately the FD's, come in.

I used to only throw PD's for drivers in 2010 for quite a while, using three seasoned and beat P-PD's for low power and understable stuff, new and very slightly seasoned S-PD's for neutral to moderately overstable and windy stuff, and a flat CFR C-PD for a meathook. The only drivers I had apart from those were two P-DD's for all out distance. It worked really well. In the long term though I didn't want to be constantly cycling P-PD's, so I got some S-TD's to fill the understable duties, which they have done admirably well after beating them in.

Pwingles said:
Its possible to get a beat p pd to do the things thos would do, but youre better off just using any one of those for understable and lower power shots. Likewise you could cover a lot of the shots (not all) with a new beefy S or a CFR PD that a mold like a FB or pred would do, but youre better of having a mold that is more OS than the PD. Basically, how i compliment my PD is with a pred and a RR. I want to cover the extremes of what the pd canT do out of the box with different molds and everything between i have a couple of pds for. Works pretty well.

Yes on the OS stuff, I personally prefer the Banshee even though its a tad shorter, but I kept that out of the equation for simplicity. I do have a FB to throw in when I feel like I'll need it. Thanks for the vote on the RR, still curious if anyone thinks a SW or FD works with the PD better... I know I've heard a lot of love for the PD/FD combo since the FDs have come out.

I'd say the FD works better than the SW, if only because FD is more versatile. The SW is quite a fast disc and doesn't work as well as the FD when powering down.

I carry both the SW and FD. My cPD and sPD fill my more stable to overstable slots while occasionally throwing in a z predator when It's super windy. Jubuttid said it right, the FD is more versatile. It replaced my champ leos in that regard. The sidewinder gets regulated to just off the tee duties. While the FD can take over for those shots where my Rocs are gonna be a hair short. They power down nicely.

Crosseyed0811 said:
Pwingles said:

Yes on the OS stuff, I personally prefer the Banshee even though its a tad shorter, but I kept that out of the equation for simplicity. I do have a FB to throw in when I feel like I'll need it. Thanks for the vote on the RR, still curious if anyone thinks a SW or FD works with the PD better... I know I've heard a lot of love for the PD/FD combo since the FDs have come out.
I actually carry an FD and a banshee along with my mids for my FW and low power shots
PD/pred/RR for controlled d on that next level of distance.

...and Eagle-x.

But really it kinda sits alone, IMO. That's what makes it such a great disc. It has the flight pattern of other discs, has flight characteristics of others, but still is so unique. I carry one for overstable distance and wind.

Fightingthetide said:
...and Eagle-x.

But really it kinda sits alone, IMO. That's what makes it such a great disc. It has the flight pattern of other discs, has flight characteristics of others, but still is so unique. I carry one for overstable distance and wind.
If some people on this forum are to be believed some SOLF's are identical to PD's.

jubuttib said:
Fightingthetide said:
...and Eagle-x.

If some people on this forum are to be believed some SOLF's are identical to PD's.

I've had SOLFs and PDs that were pretty stinkin' close to identical in flight. They do not beat in the same, though. My PDs have kept their HSS better.