• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

I don't think you can go wrong with S-PD's.
I'd suggest lighter and/or lower PLH S-PD's to fit the "flippier PD" bill.
Yellow freak stamps seemed to be flippiest for me, and orange was moderate stability, soon turned to flippier, while red was the most stable of the three colors, but PLH rules all. The red champystars I have are excellent in terms of overstability, nice domes for glide, and grip and durability. My blue ones also seem pretty stable/overstable from initial test throws. The ones where the edge of the rim dips down (test config.) are awesome, too, but more overstable, and you have to commit to that throw more than with others, and may be a little less versatile.
For non-plus mold C-PD's, the pearly ones with moderate domes seem the most versatile to me. You can trust them to come back in a headwind, but they don't fade too soon, like a CFR-PD might, if you aren't throwing really hard.

Flick4D said:
The red champystars I have are excellent in terms of overstability, nice domes for glide, and grip and durability. My blue ones also seem pretty stable/overstable from initial test throws.
I'll offer up a second opinion: Out of all the champystar S-PD's I've seen, both red and yellow, none has really been overstable, they're more known for being the straightest out of the box S-PD's, and staying that way. I've only sampled two light blue S-PD's, but both were lower PLH and flew closer to a P-PD on the stable side than what you'd normally expect from an S-PD.

But yeah, there are no bad S-PD's, just different kinds of S-PD's. =)

jubuttib said:
Flick4D said:
The red champystars I have are excellent in terms of overstability, nice domes for glide, and grip and durability. My blue ones also seem pretty stable/overstable from initial test throws.
I'll offer up a second opinion: Out of all the champystar S-PD's I've seen, both red and yellow, none has really been overstable, they're more known for being the straightest out of the box S-PD's, and staying that way. I've only sampled two light blue S-PD's, but both were lower PLH and flew closer to a P-PD on the stable side than what you'd normally expect from an S-PD.

But yeah, there are no bad S-PD's, just different kinds of S-PD's. =)

That's been my findings with my red champystars as well.

Ok, so I'm buying into the PD for a serious testing run. (a little behind on this, right?) I just picked up 3 PPDs, 2 SPDs, and 1 CPD from disc golf values. It's going to have to be good to move teebirds out, but I thought it at least deserved a shot since Jackals are taking some throws that I'd normally use a teebird for anyway.

Hoping I can squeeze more distance out of PDs at least. I've been throwing my star teebirds in the 380-400' range, and dx teebirds farther than that in favorable wind conditions. Also got a PDD to play with for distance lines.

victorb said:
Ok, so I'm buying into the PD for a serious testing run. (a little behind on this, right?) I just picked up 3 PPDs, 2 SPDs, and 1 CPD from disc golf values. It's going to have to be good to move teebirds out, but I thought it at least deserved a shot since Jackals are taking some throws that I'd normally use a teebird for anyway.

Hoping I can squeeze more distance out of PDs at least. I've been throwing my star teebirds in the 380-400' range, and dx teebirds farther than that in favorable wind conditions. Also got a PDD to play with for distance lines.

I think you will like them. You might be in the same distance with the PD as your birds, but you will acquire more versatility, easier distance on lower lines, and better wind fighting capabilities.

Flick4D said:
400' should come easily for you with those S-PD's!

I hope so. I have nose angle issues when throwing faster drivers a lot of times, keeps me from getting the distance out of fast discs that I should be getting.

Well, I might be a believer now...whatever changed with my grip and technique this season agrees much better with the PD than my previous experiences.

I got my stack of PDs in today and took them to the field for about an hour. Exactly what I wanted them to be, in each plastic. The plus rim on the C-Line doesn't even bother me, and it feels like a mini-predator. My lineup feels pretty complete right now. I can throw the pPDs and sPDs on lower lines than my teebirds and get the same distance out of them - which means if I can figure out the proper height I should be able to get even more potential distance out of them. Nice little flip out of the pPD while not being understable, even into a headwind. The sPD, at least out of the box, is seriously like a longer champ teebird. Of course, most of you already know this! :)

Also liked the pDD that I got with my stack. Still having nose angle issues with the faster drivers, but I think it's because I'm always scared to torque them over and hopelessly flip them. Someday if I work that out I probably will be able to bomb (I hope)

I owned 1 PD (Pro plastic equivalent) Loved it, eventually lost it. I throw cyclones, predators and forces. The cyclones seemed more versatile, the pred more predictable, and the force a little longer, especially on low lines. All that said, I really did like the disc. The Z pred would be the hardest disc to force out of my bag (has been there since I started playing seriously) but the cyclone overlaps my buzzz and comets a lot, and the force overlaps the nuke a bit. I am wondering what you all, especially the guys with enough arm to throw a force well think of auditioning the PD to replace those two discs. I imagine a beat PD would be better for rollers and longer anhyzer shots than my cyclones. Would there be a ton of overlap between a S-PD and my Z preds?

Edit: I would be even more tempted to try PD's if I ever lost my completely beat Z pred in my profile picture. It basically flies like faster teebird (flips up out of hyzer easily, but has a high resistance to turn even in windy conditions) The only disc I have to replace it is a broken in sparkle tsunami. But if it ever leaves my possession I don't want to replace it with something harder to find like a sparkle tsunami.

I did something similar for about 2 years. Pretty much tossed destroyers, pds, rocs, and aviars. Worked great especially for cycling discs

Ive had a CFR PD (Big D in Desert) for awhile now but not trying to find a more readily available disc for that slot. What would be comparable to the CFR PD? I recently got a champ Glo FL and it feels pretty similar to the PD. Havent had a real chance to throw both next to each other to compare yet.

So the main question is, what flies like a CFR PD right out of the box and is readily available.

TDK a P PD would overlap with a trashed Pred but not a new one. In fact i'm not so sure that the P PD would overlap with any of your discs to be a problem. I'd try one and give it 4-6 months to break in to see how it suits you and then decide if it is valuable mold for you.

linkinparkervII maybe a flat topped Star Starfire despite it being faster. The added speed helps against winds. Poppy top ESP Flash with high PLH could work too. I'm not sure how readily available they are now. I haven't thrown the FL but wouldn't wonder if it worked. Since you have one maybe you should put it through the paces and see how it works out in the long term before spending more.

linkinparkervii said:
Ive had a CFR PD (Big D in Desert) for awhile now but not trying to find a more readily available disc for that slot. What would be comparable to the CFR PD? I recently got a champ Glo FL and it feels pretty similar to the PD. Havent had a real chance to throw both next to each other to compare yet.

So the main question is, what flies like a CFR PD right out of the box and is readily available.
I'd wager you're looking for something like a Predator. Personally though I'd probably go for either a Boatman or a RESPECTi, since the newer ones aren't as insanely overstable as the first runs.

jubuttib said:
linkinparkervii said:

I'd wager you're looking for something like a Predator. Personally though I'd probably go for either a Boatman or a RESPECTi, since the newer ones aren't as insanely overstable as the first runs.

The Lat64 Villain is good too, though it has a bit more LSS. I've been using it in place of my CFRs on all the same holes with success.

discspeed said:
jubuttib said:
linkinparkervii said:

The Lat64 Villain is good too, though it has a bit more LSS. I've been using it in place of my CFRs on all the same holes with success.

What's the rim like on the villain? I'm not a fan of the big rims and would something close in speed.

Going to test the fl tonight. It's really flat like the pd and feels similar. Love the pd but its Damn near impossible to find backups and when you do they're $$$

villain is a little faster than the pd and somewhat inconsistent. i threw one villain and it was perfect,grabbed a stack from the same run and only one out of 5 flew like the one i tested. the rest flew like cpd2's

the boatman is very similar to a new cfr cpd with more glide,a new 3rd run non plus cpd is close to a seasoned cfr cpd with more glide.

Booter said:
villain is a little faster than the pd and somewhat inconsistent. i threw one villain and it was perfect,grabbed a stack from the same run and only one out of 5 flew like the one i tested. the rest flew like cpd2's

the boatman is very similar to a new cfr cpd with more glide,a new 3rd run non plus cpd is close to a seasoned cfr cpd with more glide.

My new cpds are no where near the overstabilityof my CFR. They fly like a new champ teebird with more fade. Got to throw the FL and its pretty close to the PD. Flat, no glide and pretty overstable and not freaky overstable like the new 12x FB

Latest posts